Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - Forbidden

Go down 
+24
ZombieHavoc
Gilbert
EmoElmo
Troublezone
Wurthless
journeyman
SpectreFate
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
James B.
Required Fields
Shawn Of Fire
manny
Lurideath
Witchfinder
jstate
SAHB Healer
MoonChild
Temple of Blood
corplhicks
Alex Dee Rokket
Boris2008
candlemass
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Black Sabbath - Forbidden Empty
PostSubject: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Was it really that bad?

Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 9:18 pm

I'm going to go with yes.

Not because the music is bad, but because it could be anybody!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Didn't care for it initially, but it's grown on me over time to where I rather like it. Don't think it could be anybody, Tony's guitar tones are still unmistakable.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 9:35 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I'm going to go with yes.

Not because the music is bad, but because it could be anybody!

True yet that could really be said of any post-Ozzy albums.

Especially during the Tony Martin-era - the band sounded great but it wasn't really Sabbath anymore that is, if your blueprint of Sabbath's sound is from the 1970s Ozzy-era. If you ask me, I think the Dio albums still had a traditional Sabbath-sound but I think with every successive post-H&H album the signature sound gradually faded. Seventh Star (okay admittedly intended as an Iommi solo album) sounded so far removed from Sabbath ...

Essentially 80s - 90s Sabbath just became Iommi's solo project
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 9:58 pm

I can't say that I paid much attention after Born Again until they started working with Dio again, I'm not a total Ozzy era purist, I think that the Dio albums are great and Born Again was good and it all sounds like Sabbath, albeit a bit different.

This though? Nah!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 9:59 pm

We could say the same for Rush, who never changed a member. Many bands move away from their initial signature sound, while retaining a remnant of it...I think both Sabbath and Rush did that, although admittedly Sabbath lost more w/the revolving door of members...
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
I can't say that I paid much attention after Born Again until they started working with Dio again, I'm not a total Ozzy era purist, I think that the Dio albums are great and Born Again was good and it all sounds like Sabbath, albeit a bit different.

This though? Nah!

I'll take this over Born Again any day, and the first three w/Martin blow that out of the water!
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:03 pm

Think they may have been better received, including this one, had they been released as "Iommi" solo cd's...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:10 pm

candlemass wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

This though? Nah!

I'll take this over Born Again any day, and the first three w/Martin blow that out of the water!

In your opinion, and that's fine, but you asked a question and I answered from my own perspective. I think that Mob Rules is a better album than Never Say Die or even Technical Ecstasy, some Sabbath fans would stone me for suggesting such heresy.

As I said, I didn't pay much attention to the band in the mid to late 80's. The Tony Martin stuff may be good, but as it wasn't Kreator, Slayer or Possessed, I wasn't really interested. I'll give them a try one day but I still don't like this song at all.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:17 pm

No, it wasn't anything like them! lol
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:23 pm

If you want my opinion, every Sabbath album is either good or great Sabbath, with the weakest link being Never Say Die. Born Again gets a really bad rap but it's really a kickass piece of work that suffers only from a bad mix. As for the album in question, Forbidden is captivating. When I first heard it I couldn't turn it off. My only qualm would be the mix as it misses a lot of the old Sabbath sludge tone and goes for the more polished (thanks, producer Ernie C, you've given me one more reason for my apprehension toward people who pretentiously abbreviate their last name). What blows me away is how Tony has never come up with a bad riff. This is a man who can go album after album, song after song, and carry it all with sheer consistency. It's like he never gets tired.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:30 pm

It's much better than people say it was.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:31 pm

Love NSD, jazzed up rock! Planning to cover "A Hard Road" in the new band.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:32 pm

corplhicks wrote:
If you want my opinion, every Sabbath album is either good or great Sabbath

Now THAT is my opinion.
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:54 pm

MoonChild wrote:
corplhicks wrote:
If you want my opinion, every Sabbath album is either good or great Sabbath

Now THAT is my opinion.

Black Sabbath - Forbidden 438278
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:03 pm

I've always really liked these two songs...

Can't Get Close Enough

and

Kiss Of Death

Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:15 pm

cool
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:18 pm

Bonus track on the import is not bad either...

Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:22 pm

The only track I don't much care for is "The illusion of Power", but it had great potential to be the best track on there!

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:27 pm

Kiss of Death is a badassss song. And for the record, NSD is a good album, just the least of these for myself.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 1:54 am

Kiss of Death is a marvelous song!
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:02 am

Oh, that bonus track is kickass!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:36 am

It had a couple of weak songs, but some good moments too. I liked most of it.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm just a big fan of the whole Black Sabbath discography. I dug Forbidden when it came out and have only increased my feelings for it over time. It's one of those albums where I never knew the hate it had till I got online.

Something I think is funny is the criticism of Ice-T being on there. Now I'll admit nobody distinguishes themselves with that track but the way some critics of the album go on about it you'd think T was on every song. I think he was bearing the perceived sins of Ernie C.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 3:15 pm

This was an album no one wanted to hear, with a vocalist no one wanted to be at the helm, at a time when no one wanted Metal. It was destined to fail.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - Forbidden   Black Sabbath - Forbidden Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - Forbidden
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next