Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?

Go down 
+30
SAHB Healer
ZombieHavoc
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
EmoElmo
Leatherface
SpectreFate
Alex Dee Rokket
DallasBlack
Orion Crystal Ice
manny
nevermore
adrian
Witchfinder
Vexer6
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
James B.
Temple of Blood
jstate
corplhicks
mc666
Boris2008
Addy
MetallicSeminarian
MoonChild
kmorg
BearOnUnicycle
Grimmo
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?
Anthrax (e.g. Stomp 442, Volume 8)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap8%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 8% [ 4 ]
Overkill (e.g. I Hear Black)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap15%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 15% [ 7 ]
Nuclear Assault (e.g. Out Of Order)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap4%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 4% [ 2 ]
Slayer (e.g. Diabolus In Musica)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap19%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 19% [ 9 ]
Megadeth (e.g. Risk)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap6%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 3 ]
Metallica (e.g. Load, Reload, St Anger)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 5 ]
Kreator (e.g. Outcast, Endorama)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Exodus (e.g. Force of Habit)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap13%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 13% [ 6 ]
Testament (e.g. The Ritual, Demonic)
Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_lcap23%Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 23% [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 48

AuthorMessage
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
If I could pick two, it would be Overkill and Testament, but I can't so I picked Overkill.

It was a close call between Overkill and Testament for me too. I voted for Testament. Could've flipped a coin on that one really.

It's quite cool to read about what people are saying on this topic.

There are some good releases there. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:08 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'm surprised Metallica's up there over Kreator and Megadeth.

I could never vote for Metallica, just because St. Anger is in that list. My pelvis breaking three years ago sounded better than St. Anger. And it had more musical value.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:51 pm

I actually like most of the albums listed but I went with Slayer because I used to spin that disc constantly when it was first released, thou it has been ages since I have listened to that particular Slayer disc.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:52 pm

'Risk' followed by 'Load', no contest at all. Half-assed thrash is way worse than 3/4 of the way there blues/arena rock.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:59 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I could never vote for Metallica, just because St. Anger is in that list. My pelvis breaking three years ago sounded better than St. Anger. And it had more musical value.
I'm probably the only guy on earth, who likes St Anger specifically for the drum sound.

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:09 pm

mc666 wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I'm probably the only guy on earth, who likes St Anger specifically for the drum sound.

I actually like St. Anger, after seeing the movie 'Some Kind of Whiner' it actually made me appreciate the album. I am not sure if even the lads in Metallica knew what they were going for, but its interesting listen, at least IMO
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:21 pm

I'd rather listen to Risk and St. Anger than those horrible ANTHRAX albums. Regardless of style, the songwriting quality is just so low on those.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:31 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I'd rather listen to Risk and St. Anger than those horrible ANTHRAX albums. Regardless of style, the songwriting quality is just so low on those.

I've yet to hear Volume 8 but I didn't think Stomp 442 was that bad (certainly better than Risk in my book). I should add I still haven't heard St. Anger yet either.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 8:17 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I love those Bush era albums. I know I'm in the minority on that, but I don't care. It's just catchy hard rock. Charlie did some of his best drumming on those albums too.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Easily went with Testament, however, I really love I Hear Black and Force Of Habit. If it was on there, then Flotsam & Jetsam-Cuatro would be my second choice. Also, I thought Renewal was the most hated Kreator album, guess I was wrong.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
You think St. Anger is better then those albums? Shocked At least Anthrax's albums didn't have ultra-long songs that went nowhere or garbage can drumming.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:44 pm

ToB has very strong opinions. When he dislikes something, he REALLY dislikes it.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 11:12 pm

No shock but weakest generally are Megadeth's Risk and Metallica's post-Black Album outputs.

The rest I think show varying degrees of stylistic diversification.

Of the bands and albums I am more familiar with on that list -

The least weakest top:

1. Overkill - I Hear Black
The only real weak aspect of this album is the production. It needed to be thicker and heavier to effectively bring out the Sabbath influence and doom-like songwriting they were going for. Otherwise the songs are awesome.

I don't think Overkill ever wrote a subpar album. What held some of those post-80s albums back was the production more than the songwriting aspect. WFO has the strangest production in Overkill's catalog with the bass being way too at the front but the songwriting is generally decent - strong and overall it is a well written but poorly produced album.

2. Testament - The Ritual
This is a more watered down version of Souls of Black / Practice What You Preach with a subtle Alice in Chains influence. Is it that bad, no way. It is a decent metal album albeit not a thrash metal album that one would normally expect from Testament. This was the album's undoing - it was released by Testament had it been any other band it would have stood a better chance.

The inclusion of Demonic on this list isn't that warranted. I don't think it was a weak album rather it was just an incomplete line-up. The direction was interesting, it was the opposite of most of the albums listed on here - Testament going in a heavier and darker direction is not a bad thing but Demonic was just a prelude of what was to come on The Gathering.

3. Anthrax - Stomp 442 / Volume 8
Nothing bad about these albums imo. By the time these albums came out the band had already re-established its sound with John Bush. Sound of White Noise was largely well accepted and it was a complete departure from the Belladonna era. I don't think John Bush was Anthrax's undoing, if anything I always saw his presence as a merger of 2 bands - Anthrax and Armored Saint. The 90s Anthrax albums could have easily been a continuation of Armored Saint's Symbol of Salvation. This has always been my view.

4. Kreator - post-Coma of Souls / 90s albums
As a whole I never really understood the hatred towards Kreator's 90s albums. On their own there is a lot of variety on these albums and again, had those albums been released as Mille Petrozza's solo project or something that did not have Kreator's name slapped on there they would have been better appreciated.

5. Slayer - post-Seasons / 90s albums

Well between the good songs on Divine and the good songs on Diabolus there is a solid Slayer album there. Divine's production was the album's undoing. It was something different and new for Slayer but the songwriting is quite decent at times killer.

Diabolus is an odd one for Slayer - it is probably their most 'unique' sounding album. When I first heard Diabolus in Musica back in 1998, after listening to Seasons and all the 80s classics, this sounded to me like a totally different band.

The production felt very industrial and I didn't really associate the songwriting at all with Slayer's traditional sound. Perhaps this is the style they were going for... I remember hearing their collaboration with Atari Teenage Riot on the song No Remorse I Want to Die for the Spawn Soundtrack and in a odd way I feel Diabolus was an extension of that style. Not bad but just very different and unexpected.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 11:54 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:

The inclusion of Demonic on this list isn't that warranted. I don't think it was a weak album rather it was just an incomplete line-up. The direction was interesting, it was the opposite of most of the albums listed on here - Testament going in a heavier and darker direction is not a bad thing but Demonic was just a prelude of what was to come on The Gathering.

I'm actually a fan of Demonic, myself (I actually voted for Testament). I only mentioned the album in the poll, as it did get panned in quite a few user reviews. The albums I mentioned were only possible or indicative examples from each band. For instance, even though I only mentioned Kreator's Outcast and Endorama, other people do rate Renewal or even Cause of Conflict as being Kreator's weakest release. Some Megadeth fans have been known to rate Risk as a stronger effort than the follow up, The World Needs A Hero.

Though I only listed Overkill's I Hear Black, on a personal note, I actually prefer IHB over RelixIV.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
SpectreFate
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:08 am

Quote :
As a whole I never really understood the hatred towards Kreator's 90s albums. On their own there is a lot of variety on these albums and again, had those albums been released as Mille Petrozza's solo project or something that did not have Kreator's name slapped on there they would have been better appreciated.

Kreator has yet to release a bad album. They are the best german thrash band of all time, hands down.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:12 am

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :

Kreator has yet to release a bad album. They are the best german thrash band of all time, hands down.

On the best German thrash band I'm split between Kreator and Sodom. I think Sodom are slightly more consistent than Kreator but also a bit more predictable... Kreator's sound has gradually evolved in time to become more melodic yet also aggressive enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 12:40 am

Looking through that whole list I can say that I'm a fan of I Hear Black (though I remastered it myself because it sounded like ass). I like some of the stuff on Endorama. Force Of Habit is "okay" but unmemorable. Nothing wrong with The Ritual, I think it's a better overall album than Souls Of Black to be honest.

Never heard Stomp 442, Volume 8, Out Of Order, Risk, Outcast or Demonic.

I don't like any of those Metallica records, a few tracks off Load were "okay" at the time but I will never listen to it again.

Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 2:03 am

Generally speaking, most metal bands that established themselves in the 80s metal scene shared the same issues in the mid 90s as the artists listed in this thread. In other words, many metal albums released by 80s metal acts during the mid-90s were perceived as being comparatively weak releases.

From thrash to glam bands, all shared the same problem by the time the mid-90s hit.

In some isolated cases bands continued to improve their sound, or changed their style in a manner that was widely accepted by audiences. Overkill already cited in this thread was such a band that survived the 90s anti-metal mainstream sentiments by flying virtually under the radar for the better part of the 90s. Then you have the likes of Pantera that emerged out of the 80s as a rather standard no-frills metal band and into an "overhyped", seemingly scene changing 90s metal band.

Of course the above and this thread applies primarily to the U.S. music / metal scene. The European metal scene was only just starting to surface and diversify the metal scene. At the time, the European metal scene about a decade behind what the U.S. scene had experienced in the 1980s. However, I don't think the European scene was what these bands were vying for at the time, also the scene at the time seemed to appeal more to native European bands with a handful of new styles emerging at the time like euro-power metal, black metal, Swedish death metal etc.

I am not sure on this point and I would be interested to know from those around at the time - if you lived in the U.S. did you know much about the happenings in the metal scene in Europe? Were there any means of learning about euro-power, black metal, gothenburg metal etc before the late-90s when the internet emerged?

I'm curious of the interaction if any between the early-mid 90s U.S. Metal scene and its European counterpart.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 6:00 am

Testament
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 6:16 am

A Tie between ''I Hear Black'' and 'The Ritual'' - One word

AWESOME

The weakest ones would be a tie as well

''Stomp/Vol 8'' and ''Risk''

I mean, seriously....even the weakest Armored Saint album stomps ''Stomp''.....no shyt Wink
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 9:58 am

Anthrax, hands down. I'm of the opinion that they have never released a bad album. I think Stomp and Volume are just as good, albeit different, as Among the Living or Persistance of Time.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:22 am

I don't particularly care for any of those albums, to be honest. Megadeth's Risk and Overkill's I Hear Black each have a couple of semi-decent tracks on 'em but I don't reach for either of them very often.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 2:30 pm

I went with Slayer. I don't think they've ever truly strayed from their original sound. It's been modified a bit. And some of their 21st century albums are a little bland, but they are all Slayer.

The most disappointing ones for me from this list are the Bush-era Anthrax albums. I tried Sound of White Noise when it came out, and did not like it. As a more open minded adult, I re-visited and still do not like it. I've listened to songs from most of the Bush Anthrax albums, and can't get into any of them. With Anthrax, it feels just like an entirely different band after 1992. Not only the vocals, but the music.

At least most of the other bands listed still have elements of their former selves--maybe not Metallica--but most of them do.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:56 pm

I'm not a thrash guy so I'm probably just the sort of person that these albums were aimed at (eg. the mainstream metal fan). I like most of those albums. I Hear Black is an alltime fave of mine, top 50 so I voted for that.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 9:26 pm

corplhicks wrote:
That was a tough one. It was between Slayer, Overkill, and Exodus. Chose Overkill in the end because all Overkill is good Overkill (except WFO because of the bloody mix). I still enjoy I Hear Black and From the Underground & Below way more than most of the internet Wink .

FTUAB is my fav Overkill album by a LONGGGG shot and I Hear Black is right behind it... I love groove and man both those album kill it....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best?   Which of these longtime thrash bands perceived weakest efforts do you like best? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next