Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?

Go down 
+22
Stender
mc666
jstate
EmoElmo
asgard1980
CRIMSONMASK
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
Grimmo
BearOnUnicycle
Leatherface
corplhicks
Temple of Blood
Boris2008
Orion Crystal Ice
thejokeriv
MetallicSeminarian
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
Dark Horseman
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Empty
PostSubject: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:12 am

I listen to Havok and Essence much more then Anthrax or Slayer. Hard to say if i'd replace them yet but.......
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

I still listen to Megadeth and Anthrax quite a bit. Though I use to love Slayer and Metallica and still like them both, I don't listen to them as much as I use to. Overkill are actually one of my most listened to bands. I listen to them all the time. Accuser are another band I frequent. As for newer bands, Havok, Vektor and Vindicator are frequent players especially when doing cardio at the gym. I listen to a lot of thrash metal, so I mix it up constantly. Kreator, Sodom, Vengeance Rising, Deliverance, Believer, Tankard, Testament, The Moshketeers, Hirax, Flotsam, Possessor...there's too many great bands to limit myself to only four.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:21 am

Nah.

There are some good new bands out there, but they'll never replace the nostalgic factor the classics have for me. Even new stuff from Megadeth or Anthrax always gets me going back through their old catalog. Lotsa good times and memories from the "old guard" that could never be replicated or replaced.

I also don't think that many of these new bands will survive long enough to build-up a lasting legacy of albums. Most of the Big 4 and their contemporaries have a good 10 to 15 albums (or more) to pull from. The newer bands today don't have the testicular fortitude to hang around that long.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:22 am

I'm honestly not familiar enough with most of the "new breed" of thrash bands. I have a few random CDs by newer bands like Gama Bomb and Disaffection but I've never dove whole hog into the scene the way I did back in the day.

Besides... my boys in Overkill can still crush all of those young pups any day of the week and twice on Sunday. headbanger

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:24 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Disaffection
Good one. headbanger

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:25 am

The main newer thrash band I listen to regularly is bonded by blood. I'm not sure I like them as much as the big 4. Testament, overkill, sepultura, believer, and tourniquet are all as good as the big 4, IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 am

I listen to Overkill, Testament and Sodom much more then Anthrax and Slayer. Old Metallica up to the Black album gets a lot of listen and Megadeth, almost all is on steady roto. About the only Anthrax I listen to now is PoT and SoWN.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:30 am

Sadly, with Jeff's recent passing, I've been going balls-deep into the Slayer catalog once again. Stuff that previously got passed over sounds new and fresh to me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 am

Nah, still a big fan of the big 4..... that said, I do prefer Testament over Anthrax
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:59 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
balls-deep into the Slayer catalog

I'm sorry, but that creates an extremely disturbing mental picture. Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 12:59 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
balls-deep into the Slayer catalog

I'm sorry, but that creates an extremely disturbing mental picture. Very Happy
I take my music appreciation seriously. Very seriously.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 1:50 pm

I pretty much like all bands better than all other bands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 3:56 pm

Haven't really explored the newer groups, if I get into a mood for thrash there are plenty of older bands I can still enjoy to satisfy that craving.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 6:19 pm

There are lots of older thrash bands that I listen to now more than 'The Big 4' Kreator, Possessed, Sodom, Deathrow, Destruction, Dark Angel, Exodus and Bathory all get played a lot more than Anthrax. I still listen to the first two Megadeth records a lot though. I just can't get excited about the newer thrash bands though, I like them well enough, but I loved thrash when it was new and pushing boundaries, now it just feels as though I've heard it all before and I'm not really in the right mood to rekindle that old love affair.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 7:40 pm

The few newer ones that I've heard (Havok immediately comes to mind) sound very good. The Big 4 still get regular play but nothing tops Overkill in my book.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 8:26 pm

I like a lot of "retro-thrash" post-2000 music than I do a lot of what the Big 4 has released in those same years.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:57 pm

I've not gotten into the new thrash bands too much to make a judgment. I do like Hexen and Havok quite a bit but have only skimmed through their work. The Big 4, to me, was kind of ridiculous. I understand the moniker but it seems a but elitist to set up some kind of egotistical reference to market a world tour. For me Overkill and Exodus belong in there too. Plus, off all the new releases coming out by classic thrash bands, the Big 4's albums pale in comparison to the others (especially considering the others aren't much sticking to their original genre).

I think everyone here has the general consensus that Overkill is the best f*cking thrash band in the world, anyway.
Back to top Go down
Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18963

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:24 am

Can't say I've checked out the newer bands that much. Looks like it will be the old bands always for me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 3:40 am

From big 4 I only listen to Megadave and some Metallica, from new ones - Havok. So the answer may be yes. Still, I prefer older and lesser known bands like Heathen and Xentrix.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 4:34 am

corplhicks wrote:

I think everyone here has the general consensus that Overkill is the best f*cking thrash band in the world, anyway.

Nope, not even remotely close, I like them but they wouldn't disturb my top ten thrash bands. Vocals never really did it for me.
Back to top Go down
Grimmo
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Grimmo

Number of posts : 413

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 4:37 am

I still prefer the older bands, as they have a lot of character and individuality in their styles.

From the old crowd, I enjoy the entire discographies of Overkill, Testament, Exodus, Kreator, Forbidden, Nuclear Assault and Megadeth. I still enjoy Metallica up to an including the Black Album and Tourniquet up to Vanishing Lessons.

Of the new era bands, I've listened to Warbringer, Bonded By Blood, Evile, Gama Bomb and Municipal Waste. Evile is my favourite of these, but the only song of theirs that sticks in my head is Now Demolition.
Back to top Go down
http://waynegrimsey.blogspot.com/
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 7:21 am

corplhicks wrote:

Nope, not here. Great band, but not the greatest in the world.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:28 am

Its hard to replace the nostalgia factor for me.While there are a lot of the newer bands I really like,Hyades,Havok,Violator,Eradicator,Lost Society to name a few,I still have that special place in my heart for the older bands.That being said,I prefer Testament,Forbidden,Exodus and Overkill to "The Big 4
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:08 am

Quote :
nothing tops Overkill in my book.

Quote :

^^ See, now these guys know wut they's talkin' bout, right here.

Waitaminnit....

Quote :
Nope, not even remotely close, I like them but they wouldn't disturb my top ten thrash bands. Vocals never really did it for me.

Quote :
Nope, not here. Great band, but not the greatest in the world.

C'mon fellas, git with the program!! angry

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:12 am

There is just something about 80/90s thrash that the new guys just can't duplicate. There are plenty of real good thrash bands in the new breed, but most I've heard can't really be called great. I've heard many great thrash bands in recent years I didn't know about but most are old school. Case in point, I'm listening to and really enjoying a band I recently became familiar with, Rigor Mortis. Miles ahead of most of the new breed.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?   Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you like any of the new thrash bands better then the top 4?
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: