Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The big 4 of new thrash bands?

Go down 
+12
SlaytanicPOWER
kmorg
Stender
adrian
allthingsmetal
Smindas
Alex Dee Rokket
Joe
Ben Grimm
ultmetal
nevermore
Wargod
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

The big 4 of new thrash bands? Empty
PostSubject: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:29 am

Ok now that there was a gig including the big 4 thrash bands from the 80's, who do you think are the big 4 of new thrash bands today?

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25858

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 2:58 pm

Warbringer
Toxic Holocaust
Lazarus A.D.
Municipal Waste
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 4:00 pm

Vektor
Havok
Bonded by Blood
Municipal Waste

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 5:20 pm

Bonded By Blood
Warbringer
Savage Messiah
Havok

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 6:24 pm

I have yet to hear Savage Messiah.

Though I think they are a bit more generic than some of the one's already listed, Fueled by Fire seem really popular right now, so they might be contenders as well.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 7:33 pm

Lazarus A.D.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 7:52 pm

Warbringer
Bonded by Blood
Evile
Municipal Waste

They seem to be pretty popular. I would also consider Gama Bomb.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 7:59 pm

Ohhh, forgot Evile! Good choice.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:27 pm

I don't think the term is applicable to any of the current thrash bands. The Big 4 label, to me, is about four bands that became highly influential in the thrash scene. Whether or not other bands deserved to be in that group (e.g. Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Forbidden etc.) will forever be up for debate. But in terms of thrash bands that are instantly recognisable, have influenced many musicians around them, and have the numbers to show for it (both in album and concert sales): Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax are the big four.

The same cannot be said about any other thrash bands from the 80s or today. While all good (and I don't think quality is up for debate here) their overall impact on the scene and on metal is marginal at best.

The most I can say is that currently there are some good thrash bands like Evile, Municipal Waste, Gama Bomb, Bonded By Blood, Vektor, Toxic Holocaust which sound similar to 1980s thrash bands. I don't want to call them nostalgia acts but at the same time they are not reinventing anything either. They are all nevertheless very enjoyable bands.

As I see it, it would take a lot more for the next group of thrash bands to be branded as the next generation of The Big Four than merely playing thrash metal in the style of 1980s thrash bands.

Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:30 pm

Well, Alex said pretty much said exactly what I was thinking. The 'Big Four' is not an applicable term for modern thrash. No current thrash band is ever going to be as successful or influential as the 80s Big four.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 8:37 pm

I think you guys are both stating the obvious. I took the question (and I think the others did, too) as more along the lines of popularity. I definitely don't think these bands are "re-inventing the wheel," but just starting to have a decent sized fanbase.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:02 pm

I also agree with Alex's take on things but the four newer bands that I think have the ability to stay around longer and have a steady fanbase (popularity) are:
Lazarus AD
Evile
Havok
Savage Messiah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Bonded By Blood
Lazarus AD
Havok
Warbringer

And way to overthink it you guys.
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 10:55 pm

I'd probably say:

Toxic Holocaust
Municipal Waste
Evile
Bonded By Blood

These bands definitely seem the four biggest.

Personally I think Vektor are pretty original compared to other new thrash bands.
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 25, 2010 11:20 pm

It's not Rocket science either you have a big 4 or you don't geez why do you have to explain in detail why there aren't a big 4?

Either you have 4 or you don't.

Wargod51
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 1:41 am

WARBEAST

Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 3:46 am

adrian wrote:
I'd probably say:

Toxic Holocaust
Municipal Waste
Evile
Bonded By Blood

These bands definitely seem the four biggest.

Personally I think Vektor are pretty original compared to other new thrash bands.

I agree with this, the original big 4 was all about the 4 most popular and bestselling thrash bands. I think these 4 pretty much fit that bill.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 5:25 am

Joe wrote:
I think you guys are both stating the obvious. I took the question (and I think the others did, too) as more along the lines of popularity. I definitely don't think these bands are "re-inventing the wheel," but just starting to have a decent sized fanbase.
Yeah, I know it is stating the obvious to an extent and ultimately it's just a bit of fun. I just think it's a pretty hard call to make, because the thrash scene isn't in the same position to have a Big Four. I honestly wouldn't be able to tell who was the bigger or more popular band out of Toxic Holocaust or Evile, for instance. Municipal Waste are really the only modern thrash band who I see as pretty popular and even then, they're still selling small crowds (at least, over here). Great band, mind.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 5:26 am

Alex is right on the money, again! We can talk all day about our personal favorites, but that don't make 'em the new big 4.

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:35 am

"The Big 4" in this day and age could be... "the 4 thrash bands in the country that can actually make a living playing thrash metal."

Back to top Go down
SlaytanicPOWER
Metal master
Metal master
SlaytanicPOWER

Number of posts : 679

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 10:35 am

I think here are some terms that would be more applicable for today's youths.

The Big 4 of "br00tal" bands lol!

The Big 4 Bands with the most insane breakdowns sick

The Big 4 of androgynous band members

Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 11:38 am

kmorg wrote:
Alex is right on the money, again! We can talk all day about our personal favorites, but that don't make 'em the new big 4.

He was right on the money if you over analyze the question like he did. I get what he is saying (I think everyone here knows that none of these current thrash bands could be compared to the "Big 4"). Actually, the bands I listed I wouldn't even consider my favorites, either.

lol, I didn't think the thread would end up like this.

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Right! I just picked my favorite four.

Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 5:04 pm

I didn't pick my favorite four. In fact I don't own a single cd from any of those 4. They just seem to me to be the biggest.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitimeSun Sep 26, 2010 5:12 pm

The 4 I'd pick today in no particular order...

Gama Bomb
Lazarus AD
Hatchet
Hexen

I don't know/care how popular they are. They just happen to be the ones I like and listened to recently. I might change my mind tomorrow.

PostSubject: Re: The big 4 of new thrash bands?   The big 4 of new thrash bands? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The big 4 of new thrash bands?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next