Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Skid Row EP On The Way

Go down 
+17
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
corplhicks
tohostudios
bgsully
Shawn Of Fire
Gilbert
Eyesore
DallasBlack
Witchfinder
Dark Horseman
James B.
ZombieHavoc
SpectreFate
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 3:29 pm

Samples:

http://www.amazon.com/United-World-Rebellion-Chapter-One/dp/B00BMCN3PO

Call me crazy, but I think I might like this one. Shocked
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 3:52 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Samples:

You're crazy. insane

But you might also be onto something. It's not as lame as I expected it to be. Still don't know that I can get over that no-Bas/no-buy hurdle, but it will make it harder to goof on them if they put out a legitimately good record.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 4:00 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Samples:

You're crazy. insane

But you might also be onto something. It's not as lame as I expected it to be. Still don't know that I can get over that no-Bas/no-buy hurdle, but it will make it harder to goof on them if they put out a legitimately good record.
It sounds more like one of those bands like Bombay Black, which are modern but clearly reaching back to the hard rock days of yore.

The previous Bachless Skid Row albums were full-on modern rock a la 3 Doors Down. This sound different.

I'm interested, I guess, which is more than I could have said for previous albums.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Samples:

You're crazy. insane

It sounds more like one of those bands like Bombay Black, which are modern but clearly reaching back to the hard rock days of yore.

The previous Bachless Skid Row albums were full-on modern rock a la 3 Doors Down. This sound different.

I'm interested, I guess, which is more than I could have said for previous albums.

Could be another case of the band finally saying "Let's forget trying to distance ourselves from our past and just do what the fans want/expect from us." Even without Sebastian, Skid Row trying to be relevent or radio friendly in 2013 is just pointless.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 4:30 pm

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 7:42 pm

Finally listened to the samples and that first song the singer is doing his best Bas impersonation and it's pretty good. The others aren't to that level but this isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Like you guys already said but I needed to add my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 9:05 pm

New song "Kings of Demolition" in full:

...and I guess someone took all the song samples from Amazon and strung'em together here:

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Those are the same videos. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 8:40 am

Eyesore wrote:
Those are the same videos. Haha.

New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Homer%20D'OH

I fixed the first one.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 2:18 pm

That's a pretty solid tune right there. Closest they've come to sounding like classic Skid Row in a long time. Probably since Slave to the Grind.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 6:26 pm

"Kings of Demolition" has possibilities. If there was some dynmaic between the guitars during the verses and some melodic change up during the chorus, it would be better.

I almost didn't even listen to the song at all. I have quite a few reasons why that might happen.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Skid Row might have another clunker on their hands. A poor review at Sleaze Roxx...

Quote :
Skid Row's new EP United World Rebellion: Chapter One continues in the tradition of a band whose well has run dry. The production is top notch and there are some strong riffs on this EP, but the songs simply go nowhere and you can envision the band practically falling asleep as they worked on this in the studio -- and the lyrics don't help either. Ironically, the only song that I somewhat enjoyed was the ballad "This Is Killing Me" which was exactly what listening to this EP was doing to me. "This Is Killing Me" had potential to become one of the band's best ballads of their career, but it's not what a band that issued Slave To The Grind wants to be known for. But guess what, it'll get you air play somewhere. Unfortunately the ballad became a casualty of a horrific chorus that is on par with the thought of this writer getting catheterized without any anesthesia.
This is just part one? I don't think if Bach were in Skid Row they'd fair much better in 2013 -- it's simply time to reunite for a string of dates and put this wounded dog down

Read the whole thing here...
http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/skidrow/unitedworldrebellion.shtml

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 12:17 pm

Ouch, harshness. I don't think it's that bad but I agree on them reuniting.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 12:29 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Skid Row might have another clunker on their hands. A poor review at Sleaze Roxx...

Quote :
Skid Row's new EP United World Rebellion: Chapter One continues in the tradition of a band whose well has run dry. The production is top notch and there are some strong riffs on this EP, but the songs simply go nowhere and you can envision the band practically falling asleep as they worked on this in the studio -- and the lyrics don't help either. Ironically, the only song that I somewhat enjoyed was the ballad "This Is Killing Me" which was exactly what listening to this EP was doing to me. "This Is Killing Me" had potential to become one of the band's best ballads of their career, but it's not what a band that issued Slave To The Grind wants to be known for. But guess what, it'll get you air play somewhere. Unfortunately the ballad became a casualty of a horrific chorus that is on par with the thought of this writer getting catheterized without any anesthesia.
This is just part one? I don't think if Bach were in Skid Row they'd fair much better in 2013 -- it's simply time to reunite for a string of dates and put this wounded dog down

Read the whole thing here...
http://www.sleazeroxx.com/bands/skidrow/unitedworldrebellion.shtml

Simply based on the samples, I can only conclude that Rachel Bolan slapped that dude's mom. What I heard isn't anywhere near as bad as he described. It actually sounds like Skid Row.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 12:31 pm

I think it's hard to get past what they've done recently.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 12:35 pm

I've always been pretty vocal on my "Bach-only" Skid Row stance, but I'll admit that the little I heard of this new ep didn't sound half-bad. So yea, who knows, maybe the reviewer has an agenda or something.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 12:39 pm

Quote :
Simply based on the samples, I can only conclude that Rachel Bolan slapped that dude's mom.

Maybe he screwed this guy's Mom. Or screwed her, THEN slapped her. Very Happy

Sounds like the dude is on Bach's payroll. Y'know how Geoff Tate has his so called "Tater Tots?" What could we call the equivalent for obsessed Sebastian Bach fans?

... I got it! "Bach-Suckers!"

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 1:36 pm

Sleazeroxx reviewers are of the Blabbermouth breed.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Hyperbole junkies.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bgsully

Number of posts : 1692

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 2:19 pm

SpectreFate wrote:
Quote :
"This truly is a special record. Can't wait for you all to hear it."

Just once I'd like to read where a band says "This record is just like all our other crap"

lol!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 2:23 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Hyperbole junkies.
That's the modern-day reviewer.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 3:12 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

Sounds like the dude is on Bach's payroll. Y'know how Geoff Tate has his so called "Tater Tots?" What could we call the equivalent for obsessed Sebastian Bach fans?

New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 201269

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 3:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Hyperbole junkies.
That's the modern-day reviewer.

No doubt...when I read this, I just rolled my eyes.

Quote :
Unfortunately the ballad became a casualty of a horrific chorus that is on par with the thought of this writer getting catheterized without any anesthesia.

Rolling Eyes

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 3:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 201269

I can always count on Toho. He's such a good audience. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2013 4:24 pm

This has got to be my favorite topic to discuss in the metal world, right under anything Van Halen, so forgive me for being long-winded. Once upon a time, Bach was my HERO (well I guess Eddie was but does it matter). I loved the dude's image, range, dynamics, hair, attitude, everything. I couldn't get enough of Slave to the Grind, and their debut was one of my first rock cassette dubs (Subhuman Race is best left to another discussion). When Johnny came around, I was pissed, and both albums sounded like shit. Not just because of Johnny, mind you. It's as though Snake couldn't write a decent riff anymore, and the punk edge that was pretty much the icing on their cake was gone. Johnny is a straight-forward singer, far less dynamic range than Baz, and obviously nowhere near the range.

Regardless of my opinion on the two singers, Baz is best left to his own devices, and should stay the hell away from "Skid Row (yes, they should have found a new name)." Bolan and Co need to simply get their shit together and make this work with Johnny.

Here's the thing. Baz is not the same singer he once was. In fact, anyone who's seen them live in their prime can testify that Baz was almost a different singer from what was heard on the albums. He may have been an energetic frontman, but in the end, he struggled to keep his edge, vocally, on stage. These days, in my opinion, he's horrible. His vocal edge--screaming, controlled sustain, range, baritone growl (the epitome of these qualities = Beat Yourself Blind on Subhuman)--is practically gone, live and on the record. He sounds whiny when comfortable and shrill when reaching high. His solo records aren't bad, I own both, but his voice is weak and tends to make a good song boring. I'm being harsh, not everyone shares this sentiment, but the Baz I knew hasn't aged well--unlike, say, Mark Tornillo or Bruce Dickinson. I even wonder if he's had plastic surgery cause hot damn his face just looks plastic, but that's beside the point.

Johnny's not a great singer, but he's competent and carries an edge, which is what I like. But the band is not writing good, engaging music like they used to. If they could bring back their punkier, thrashier attitude and energy like they did with Grind, maybe it would work out. For now, everytime I see that awesome logo on a new record/EP, it kills me because--well, it's like trying to put two magnets together.

TL; DR: Current lineup should get their shit together, Baz should just stay out of Dodge.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Skid Row EP On The Way   New Skid Row EP On The Way - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Skid Row EP On The Way
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next