Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bob Seger fans?

Go down 
+12
thejokeriv
James B.
Leatherface
exact33
Red Kitty
brokentulsa
akeldama
tohostudios
jstate
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
ultmetal
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:06 pm

I've always been a casual fan of Seger. He has this earthy feel that I've always enjoyed. However, I've never really dug into his catalog beyond the hits and a few oddities I like such as "Rosalie".

I don't really care about hits packages, but what are some of his best albums?

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:21 pm

I'm a Greatest Hits fan...he was like the midwest Springsteen...

Administrator
ultmetal

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:24 pm

Springsteen? Blech! Haha.
I don't know why but Springsteen has never jived with me, and he's from my home state.

I picked up Stranger in Town (1978) on a whim. It's pretty darn good.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:33 pm

Never cared for him aside from a few hits. My brother gave me a cdr of his greatest hits and I eventually tossed it in the trash when I was clearing some space in my cd racks.

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 2:52 pm

Moving this thread to "Let The Music Do The Talking". Also editing the spelling to "Seger".

Never been a fan, there are a couple songs here and there that I don't mind, but he just isn't my thing. I've heard from numerous people that his very earliest albums are his best.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 4:32 pm

What, Bob Seger isn't metal enough for you? Razz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 5:08 pm

The three Seger albums I'm the most into would be Against The Wind, The Distance, and Like A Rock. He has a lot of great deep album cuts. I long ago tired of the hits and prefer the ones that aren't over-played much more.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 5:16 pm

jstate wrote:
The three Seger albums I'm the most into would be Against The Wind, The Distance, and Like A Rock. He has a lot of great deep album cuts. I long ago tired of the hits and prefer the ones that aren't over-played much more.

Thanks.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 5:45 pm

My favorite is definitely Against The Wind but I also really dig Stranger In Town.
Moreover, not being a fan of live albums in general, this is one artist where I think many of the live cuts on Live Bullet are better than the studio versions.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 11, 2013 9:38 pm

Huge Seger fan here and I have EVERYTHING, get:

Ramblin' Gamblin' Man (everything pre Smokin' OP's are hard to find and are pricey).
Beautiful Loser
Stranger In Town
Against The Wind
The Distance
Live Bullet

If you can find The Bob Seger System stuff on youtube give it a try as well but like I said they are hard to find and cost mucho dinero.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 5:29 pm

I like Bob alot. My favorite album is night moves.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Spent a year living in the burbs of Detroit when Stranger in Town was popular....LOVE that album. Night Moves and Against the Wind are also quite awesome.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:05 pm

I got two greatest hits and Beautiful Loser. Good stuff overall but i am not sure i would get all the studio albums.

tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2013 7:08 pm

exact33 wrote:
I got two greatest hits and Beautiful Loser. Good stuff overall but i am not sure i would get all the studio albums.
Yeah, me either.
I have both GH albums, Night Moves, Stranger In Town and Against the Wind and that about covers Seger for me.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 19229

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 3:58 am

I like a few of his songs, but don't actually have any of his records.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 10:10 am

I dig "Smokin O.P's" and "Beautiful Loser" from the Bob Seger years and from the Silver Bullet Band era, "Night Moves", "Stranger In Town" and "Against The Wind".

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 5:38 pm

Ah...Night Moves. I knew I was forgetting one.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm

Not familiar with his music outside of the radio hits.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2013 8:55 pm

If you liked "Stranger In Town" then you can't go wrong with anything from his debut in '69 up to about '82. The album "Back in '72" has the original version of Turn The Page which you never hear at all, the version most people hear is from the live album.

I wish Bob Seger wasn't so overplayed because he really did make some great music back in the day. If you listen to his music in album form (preferably vinyl) and not just the hits, it is quite enjoyable. Oh, and I dont see any comparison to Bruce Springsteen either, not at all.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:50 am

stepcousin wrote:
Oh, and I dont see any comparison to Bruce Springsteen either, not at all.

I think it was more about his blue-collar, working man's attitude, not music. He was the mid-West version of Bruce.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 9:56 am

Seger is like Billy Joel to me...there are songs which are examples of brilliance, and then there is stuff which is simply....ugh...............and the balance is VERY off between the two.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 10:17 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

I think it was more about his blue-collar, working man's attitude, not music. He was the mid-West version of Bruce.

That's what I meant too...

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 11:16 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

Which these days is commonly referred to as "Dad Rock".

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2013 11:37 am

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

Which these days is commonly referred to as "Dad Rock".

He played here about a year or so ago and when I was leaving work that night, I noticed that the average age was 50+ easily. Springsteen still gets some young'uns to his shows. Razz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2013 11:54 am

The one way Seger and Springsteen are similar to me is that they tend to do the "storyteller" type song writing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bob Seger fans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bob Seger fans?   Bob Seger fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bob Seger fans?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next