Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

UFO - Any fans

Go down 
+16
AndiP
criss3o
James B.
jstate
BearOnUnicycle
arachnoplasma
thejokeriv
Wargod
MetalGuy71
manny
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Witchfinder
brokentulsa
chewie
20 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 2:20 pm

Sitting here listening to Force It and decided to do a search and found no UFO. Are there no fans? I would say that UFO is one of those bands that doesn't seem to get all that much attention. I like 'em.
Back to top Go down

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 2:45 pm

UFO was one of the first bands I ever saw in concert, 1977, they were the opening act for The Doobie Brothers.

Haven't heard them for years, but I was always partial to the live album "Strangers In The Night".
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 3:13 pm

Ever since I first heard "Strangers In The Night" I have liked UFO. I even have their first two Space Rock albums.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Love UFO! Lights out is one of my all time favorite songs! headbanger headbanger

Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:09 pm

Definitely a fan. Their 70's releases are excellent and Walk On Water from the 90's is superb. Also, why is this posted in "Let The Music Do The Talking?" UFO is definitely a hard rock band.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:19 pm

Great band. Especially the early Michael Schenker era.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:09 pm

Not a band I listen to a lot but some great stuff nonetheless. Lights Out is an awesome song.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 8:42 pm

One of my favorite bands of all time, and love all the line ups of this band, a series of excellent albums especially in the 70's, 'Force It' ' Lights Out' 'Obsession' and the classic live disc 'Strangers in the Night'
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:36 am

I have their "Essential UFO" comp that I like well enough, but I've never felt compelled to dig any deeper.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 9:59 am

I own all their material on cd and vinyl and a few dvds. I do prefer the 70's UFO. Todays UFO is more bluesy hard rock still I like them.

Wargod
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:10 am

I have a few of the Schenker era albums and they are great! Plus, Doctor Doctor is the song that Maiden plays right before they hit the stage!

I haven't heard any post-Schenker UFO so I can't comment on those albums!
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:24 am

"You Are Here" is a really good UFO/Vinnie Moore album!
Back to top Go down
arachnoplasma
Metal student
Metal student
arachnoplasma

Number of posts : 244

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:42 am

I have a few albums and I really like them. Lights Out is certainly a classic. I first heard a live version of "Lights Out" on some hard rock / metal compilation that my dad owned when I was really young and I thought it was a killer song, but for some reason it took me years to finally get around to collecting their stuff. I definitely plan on getting more, very good band.

I've only heard a few random songs off of their more recent albums. Seemed like enjoyable hard rock from what I remember.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 11:54 am

Really good rock song!

Another good one with a KILLER middle section:
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:05 pm

This is a band that I've certainly heard of but never actually heard,if you can believe that. The songs posted here aren't too bad:I may have to check into them further one of these days.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 12:57 pm

I've tried to like them, but something prevents me to do so. Have a Force It\Lights Out CD I took away from dad. Someday. Till then I'll listen to this one:
Back to top Go down

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 1:02 pm

Strangers In The Night - that's the crowning glory. Yes, it's a live album, back when live albums were generally superior to studio recordings.

Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 2:22 pm

I was very late in my UFO fandom. Despite owning Strangers In The Night it wasn't until I got The Visitor at a used sale that they truly took hold with me. Basically I then ended up going backwards through their catalogue to get the rest. Obsession is my favorite studio album. But I really love the Official bootleg live box they put out.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 3:40 pm

I concur....Strangers is THE best hard rock album ever made.

UFO was an essential aspect of playiing keg parties and jamming with friends in the late 70's. Some of my best friends in the world were made because of UFO, in one way or another.

I met Bill Menchen in 1975, riding a skateboard around the corner from my grandparents and heard
somebody playing, "doctor, doctor" in the garage. A few years later. I was riding a motorcycle in this old rock quarry in Bloomington, Calif and ran out of gas. I was pushing it to a gas station in Fontana and heard some guys jamming on UFO ina garage. I walked up and met Dave Enos and Larry Phillips for the first time. Then in 1991, I moved up to Sacramento and went to Skip's Music to buy some new felts for my cymbals and was wearing a UFO t-shirt. A guy at the store invited me over to jam with him. His name was Tommy Mc Clendon. A former member of UFO.

I enjoy the pre-Schenker stuff
The Schenker era stuff is golden
I also enjoy the Chapman releases
The Atomic Tommy stuff is hit and miss, but mostly decent enough.
The reunuion stuf and recent Moore releases are great as well.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 3:49 pm

The Atomtic Tommy M period of UFO sole album had some great songs on it, but more AOR then the traditional metal they were known for, did Tommy M ever tell you why Phil Mogg just disbanded that line up?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:10 pm

manny wrote:
The Atomtic Tommy M period of UFO sole album had some great songs on it, but more AOR then the traditional metal they were known for, did Tommy M ever tell you why Phil Mogg just disbanded that line up?

Unless I misunderstood your post, Tommy played on two studio lps, Making Contact and Misdemeanor. There is a VHS/DVD of Misdemeanor Tour Live too.

As far as why that line-up went. Tommy flew to England for rehearsals. The bass player and drummer had issues and Phil said "F it"

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeMon Mar 05, 2012 5:39 pm

I'd like to see a UFO and Whitesnake tour.
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 7:42 am

I am a big UFO fan! My 1st UFO album was Lights Out when it was their current release, I then slipped back in the catalog to get all the Schenker albums. I did not discover the first 2 til years later, but I love them as well, To me they got a little shoty in the late 80's , early 90's but it was all still good! I felt the 2 Moog/Way albums were their actual return to a vintage UFO sound and led into Schenker's short lived return! After that Vinnie Moore brought the band to it's newest era where I feel they are making albums that hold up with the best of their career! I saw them on the You Are Here Tour in a little club and they smoked the place!!!

The thing to me is, while they are considered a guitar band and somewhat rightly so, Phil Moog is UFO and his vocals make it all happen! He has such an awesome unique and emotive voice and he sounds as good now as ever. His vocals on Try Me from Lights Out still puts a lump in my throat evoking my teen years when I seemed to always be the "friend" to the girls I liked! Even after 25+ years of marriage, now that's a voice!!!
Back to top Go down
AndiP
Metal novice
Metal novice
AndiP

Number of posts : 11

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:05 am

Everyone who buys an electric guitar should get a free copy of UFO's Greatest Hits package!
Back to top Go down
http://www.thedustbowl.net
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitimeWed Mar 07, 2012 9:23 am

James B. wrote:
manny wrote:

Unless I misunderstood your post, Tommy played on two studio lps, Making Contact and Misdemeanor. There is a VHS/DVD of Misdemeanor Tour Live too.

As far as why that line-up went. Tommy flew to England for rehearsals. The bass player and drummer had issues and Phil said "F it"

I don't own 'Making Contact' but I am pretty sure Atomic Tommy M is not on that disc, but he is on an EP they released called 'Aint Misbehavin' and I have that UFO concert on VHS, a girl that worked at video store stole it for me, and added I was the only fool that ever rented that video, ever!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UFO - Any fans Empty
PostSubject: Re: UFO - Any fans   UFO - Any fans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

UFO - Any fans
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next