Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR

Go down 
+29
Hamer12
Joe
Ricky
SAHB Healer
chewie
Andy
jettafiend
Rex
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
Troublezone
Leatherface
Gryphon-kl
stepcousin
manny
mc666
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
Olafsto
brokentulsa
akeldama
Dark Horseman
nevermore
tohostudios
MoonChild
Witchfinder
James B.
fingers
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Lynyrd Skynyrd vs Creedance Clearwater Revival
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Vote_lcap57%Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 57% [ 20 ]
Creedance Clearwater Revival
Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 43% [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 35

AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 am

OK I voted anyway and I voted for CCR, simply because IMO they have better songs.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 11:51 am

Skynyrd.

Why dismiss a genre or great musicians just because of the culture? Does any of their lyrics talk about hanging a black man? That's an unfortunate part of history, but there's more to southern life than that.

The old delta blues could've been about killing whites. Who cares? As long as the music is good.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 1:32 pm

Troublezone wrote:

Why dismiss a genre or great musicians just because of the culture? Does any of their lyrics talk about hanging a black man? That's an unfortunate part of history, but there's more to southern life than that.

The old delta blues could've been about killing whites. Who cares? As long as the music is good.

I can personally dismiss anything I don't like, that is my right.

Skynryd were excellent musicians, but I personally don't like their music. I also have issues with many of the trappings that seem to go hand in hand with fans of Southern Rock and country. So I avoid these genres of music because I get no enjoyment from them.

I'm not dissing southerners or southern rock, I just don't want any part of it.

In the meantime, this elitist, snobbish, self-absorbed guy is going to listen to Neil Young's Southern Man....
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 2:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

Skynryd were excellent musicians, but I personally don't like their music. I also have issues with many of the trappings that seem to go hand in hand with fans of Southern Rock and country. So I avoid these genres of music because I get no enjoyment from them.

In the meantime, this elitist, snobbish, self-absorbed guy is going to listen to Neil Young's Southern Man....

Fair enough. I can relate to a certain extent. No matter what band or genre you may like there will always be some annoying "fans" that you don't want to be associated with.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 4:14 pm

:DHmmmm, I live in the land of redneckdom. I might get lumped in with them. Now i'm all hurt and stuff.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 5:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

There's nothing l love more than a Canadian's perspective on the American South. Har har har.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
S.D. wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

There's nothing l love more than a Canadian's perspective on the American South. Har har har.

A Southern man don't need him around anyhow...

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 5:24 pm

BTW S.D., just as an aside, having grown up in the Northeast US and spending an additional 3 years in Connecticut back in the early 90s I can tell you that there's a distinctly non-redneck group of Southern Rock fans. Bikers. I saw the Outlaws in New Haven, CT and that place was packed with Harley Davidson apparel-wearing bikers.

I've lived in 5 different states both in the northern US and the southern US and one thing remains constant, bikers love southern rock. My point being I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Southern Rock as the redneck ethos.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 7:05 pm

I live in Florida, and my resentment toward Lynyrd Skynyrd is because every half ass cover band takes it upon themselves to at least massacre one Skynyrd song per set.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 7:18 pm

manny wrote:
I live in Florida, and my resentment toward Lynyrd Skynyrd is because every half ass cover band takes it upon themselves to at least massacre one Skynyrd song per set.

Yep, there is that. If I had a dime for every crappy cover band I saw that tried to cover Freebird, I could retire. Especially if you gave me another dime for every crappy cover band who hadn't planned on covering Freebird but attempted it anyway because a bunch of drunks kept yelling out "Freebird!!!!"

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 8:53 pm

tohostudios wrote:
manny wrote:

Yep, there is that. If I had a dime for every crappy cover band I saw that tried to cover Freebird, I could retire. Especially if you gave me another dime for every crappy cover band who hadn't planned on covering Freebird but attempted it anyway because a bunch of drunks kept yelling out "Freebird!!!!"

Laughing very hard

Not a big fan of either band.... never liked the southern rock genre.... and I never need to hear another Skynyrd song again!!!!

True story - I was at Myrtle Beach for vacation one year and hanging out at the pool bar at the hotel... "Sweet Home Alabama" came on and some drunk stood up and as as loud he could says "All rise for the national anthem of the south"

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 9:27 am

tohostudios wrote:
BTW S.D., just as an aside, having grown up in the Northeast US and spending an additional 3 years in Connecticut back in the early 90s I can tell you that there's a distinctly non-redneck group of Southern Rock fans. Bikers. I saw the Outlaws in New Haven, CT and that place was packed with Harley Davidson apparel-wearing bikers.

I've lived in 5 different states both in the northern US and the southern US and one thing remains constant, bikers love southern rock. My point being I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Southern Rock as the redneck ethos.

That seems to be Molly Hatchet's current fan-base as well. Not only are they playing all the biker rallies, but the itmes I've seen them the parking lots outside the venues have been packed with motorcycles.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 9:32 am

I haven't listened to either band in dog years but I heard a lot of CCR when I was a kid, as my Mom was a big fan, so they get the nod.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 9:33 am

S.D. wrote:

Ya gotta poke more at the redneck thing surprised Again painting with a pretty wide brush.

If you look at the begining of my post, there is a "just like". In context, my statement was a comparison to yous regarding "skynyrd and rednecks" I wasn't calling you (or anybody else for that matter) an "eltist, snobbish, self-absorbed person".

If ya don't like Skynyrd, who cares ? I don't. They were a huge part of that stoner kid lifestyle of my early to mid teens. Now I hardly listen to them much anymore.

Now I could make a genral statement regarding dope smoking teen-agers and apply it to Skynyrd fandom but you'd probably say "Meanwhile, this self absorbing, elitist, snob is gonna go listen to Sublime's Smoke Two Joints"

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 9:35 am

Love both bands I don't feel like I can vote either way.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 2:57 pm

akeldama wrote:
CCR, Skynyrd annoys the smurf outta me.

X2
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 3:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

That seems to be Molly Hatchet's current fan-base as well. Not only are they playing all the biker rallies, but the itmes I've seen them the parking lots outside the venues have been packed with motorcycles.

Foghat also. The Foghat show that was supposed to be in my neck of the woods back in August was for a biker rally but was cancelled due to a major fight between the bikers. lame
Back to top Go down
Andy
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Totally different bands... they similar in the fact that they're both from the south, but that's about it.

Skynyrd played a more straight forward style of southern rock. CCR was very unique in their roots rock approach, blending blues, folk, country, and skiffle with rock and roll.

Skynyrd takes it for musicianship and songwriting alone.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 7:50 pm

[quote="Andy"]Totally different bands... they similar in the fact that they're both from the south, but that's about it.

quote]

CCR is from Berkeley, Calif.

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 8:33 pm

James B. wrote:

It always cracks me up when someone mentions CCR as "southern". Laughing very hard

I've heard many people describe "The Doobie Brothers" as a southern rock band as well....and they are from San Jose.

Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 11:42 pm

S.D. wrote:
James B. wrote:

It always cracks me up when someone mentions CCR as "southern". Laughing very hard

I've heard many people describe "The Doobie Brothers" as a southern rock band as well....and they are from San Jose.

Yep, Right up the freeway from San Jose!

I do like how CCR have that swamp sound down, though!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 2:50 am

Good discusssion! I voted for Skynyrd. That being said I don't care for their political songs at all. God N' Guns for example I skip all but four songs, the rest I can't handle.
But I have such a weakness for twin guitar southern rock jams that I can't help but like them anyway. If I can listen to songs about Satan all the time I can deal with the rednecks I guess too. Blackfoot same thing.
As Akeldama said it's nice that there are southern hard rock bands that weren't quite so bombastic (Point Blank, Outlaws, Hydra, Ultra, ARS). Hydra for example might have even snuck in the occasional lefty sentiment if I read them right (Land of Money?).
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:20 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
Good discusssion! I voted for Skynyrd. That being said I don't care for their political songs at all. God N' Guns for example I skip all but four songs, the rest I can't handle.
But I have such a weakness for twin guitar southern rock jams that I can't help but like them anyway. If I can listen to songs about Satan all the time I can deal with the rednecks I guess too. Blackfoot same thing.
As Akeldama said it's nice that there are southern hard rock bands that weren't quite so bombastic (Point Blank, Outlaws, Hydra, Ultra, ARS). Hydra for example might have even snuck in the occasional lefty sentiment if I read them right (Land of Money?).

Thanks Mark, you mentioned ARS and I have to say I like ARS and the like (of which I call Southern Rock Lite). Oddly enough, I hate Country for the most part except early stuff and Western which was a staple in my home growing up but I really dig Country Rock...
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Yeh, I think the genu-ine rednecks out here in rural Wisconsin listen to country. Maybe the townies listen to southern rock, but out in the sticks it's only posers like me.
I saw a Brantley Gilbert vid the other day, that was interesting.
Back to top Go down
Ricky
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ricky

Number of posts : 255

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 20, 2012 8:46 pm

skynyrd has my vote...I like both of them
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR   Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lynyrd Skynyrd vs CCR
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next