Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns

Go down 
+7
Schbopo
DallasBlack
iamrockerfun
SAHB Healer
tohostudios
akeldama
ultmetal
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Empty
PostSubject: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 11:06 pm

Anyone pick this CD up yet? I heard two tracks live a couple weeks ago and they sounded great! One was Skynyrd Nation, the other was Still Unbroken.

I heard the whole CD on-line once. Some great songs. A few songs that are most certainly intended for crossing over into modern country radio.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 11:10 pm

I like it, I just got it a few days ago and haven't spun it too much, I'm still to hooked on Anomaly.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2009 11:25 pm

I've been hooked on Anomoly and Endgame. Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Headbang

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 8:12 am

I have it and I really like it. There are only two tracks that I might classify as country; the rest is just good old Southern rock IMO.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2009 2:31 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I've been hooked on Anomoly and Endgame. Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Headbang

Yeah Endgame too.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeThu Oct 08, 2009 2:28 am

I got it today, haven't spun it yet but it's cued up in the cd player in the truck.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 8:46 am

tohostudios wrote:
I have it and I really like it. There are only two tracks that I might classify as country; the rest is just good old Southern rock IMO.

Which two?

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeFri Oct 09, 2009 8:56 am

Unwrite That Song definitely and That Ain't My America maybe.

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 1:27 pm

Unwrite That Song is definitely in the vein of what the Van Zant brothers are doing together which is more modern country. Other then that I really like this.
Back to top Go down
iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeFri Oct 16, 2009 3:25 pm

fantastic album. love the opening song very much.
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Great piece of souther rock IMO. I can even stomache the two country songs (normally I don't like modern country-which I still refer to as young country even though that term is almost 20 years old).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Schbopo
Ate his vegetables
Schbopo

Number of posts : 4958

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeSun Oct 18, 2009 3:23 pm

I love some Skynyrd, but this album already has four strikes against it and I haven't even heard a single note;

1) Idiotic, redneck fanservice title and lyrics that make Ted Nugent seem liberal
2) Next to no original members left
3) "Country"
4) John 5

Do not want.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 2:28 pm

Schbopo wrote:
I love some Skynyrd, but this album already has four strikes against it and I haven't even heard a single note;

1) Idiotic, redneck fanservice title and lyrics that make Ted Nugent seem liberal
2) Next to no original members left
3) "Country"
4) John 5

Do not want.

Wise words from the youth department Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns 29150
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 6:50 pm

I saw this one in Best Buy yesterday and was contemplating picking it up.

Then I remembered Schbopo's post and passed on it.

Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:12 pm

Metallic Blaze wrote:

Keep on you haters.

We fans of Southern Rock ignore your opinions. Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns 778825

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:28 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Keep on you haters.

Here here!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 8:47 pm

Even if you ignore the whole "Gods & Guns" thing, the music on it is awful. Hardly "Southern Rock". It's got that horrid compressed music production that that renders it like crappy modern rock, the whole new country thing sounds forced as well. In essence this is Nickelback meets Toby Keith with slide guitar!

Money is better spent on the debut of a new band like Lions In The Street, who sound like classic early 70's Southern Rock/British Blues Rock (take your pick, they were essentially the same thing!).......you know that swampy rootsy rock n' soul............

http://www.myspace.com/lionsinthestreet
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 9:14 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Metallic Blaze wrote:

Keep on you haters.

I repost this because I think you people ragging on the new Skynyrd album are not really fans of the Southern Rock genre to begin with.

If you like Skynyrd's catalog, I think you'll like the new one. If you don't like Southern Rock, you'll think this is nu-country.

Just my opinion...

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 10:52 pm

tohostudios wrote:

I repost this because I think you people ragging on the new Skynyrd album are not really fans of the Southern Rock genre to begin with.

If you like Skynyrd's catalog, I think you'll like the new one. If you don't like Southern Rock, you'll think this is nu-country.

Just my opinion...

Not true whatsoever. I love Southern Rock. Molly Hatchet, Blackfoot and Skynyrd are three of my all time favorite bands. I'm also into some of the more obscure bands like Point Blank. I love the Skynyrd catalog, including the material they have released since their reunion in the 90's. However, there is no doubt that some of the material on this CD is an attempt to crossover to modern country radio. More power to 'em. Hope it sells more CDs for them.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeTue Oct 20, 2009 11:02 pm

Have you picked this up yet Ult?
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 2:55 am

About half the songs are alright. There are a few rockers. I mean it's just music, so it's ok to be stupid, or to say things I don't happen to agree with. I don't need to agree with music to enjoy it.
But several of these songs just aren't southern rock (which is something I know and love- trust me). The country songs on God & Guns remind me of why I don't like the whole modern country sound. Bad music as a vehicle for the most trite burned out retrograde sentimentality imaginable.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 8:09 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Have you picked this up yet Ult?
Yes. Already reviewed it.

Metal is Forever
akeldama

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 11:42 am

I finally got around to really delving into this one and I must say that I don't like the country stuff. I really like Skynyrd from the 90's to today as the original incarnation just irks me most of the time so this album is a little disappointing. When I heard John 5 was slated to collaborate with them my initial thought was this is really going to be a really heavy Skynyrd album or a really country album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:18 pm

Quote :

Metallic Blaze wrote:

Keep on you haters.

We fans of Southern Rock ignore your opinions.

Ditto. My wife listens to so much country though, I wonder if i'm getting immune to it. blech.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitimeWed Oct 21, 2009 12:50 pm

Not a fan of Southern Rock, so I can't comment on this one. The only comment I will make is I am so sick and tired of the national anthem of the south, "Sweet Home Alabama" I want to shoot myself everytime I hear it!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns   Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lynyrd Skynyrd God & Guns
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next