Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Michael Schenker Group Discography

Go down 
+8
Red Kitty
Wurthless
jettafiend
chewie
Dark Horseman
thejokeriv
manny
James B.
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 12:15 pm

Those are really good, the guitar in Age of Ice is very cool. Thanks for posting those, this one is definitely on the list.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 15, 2013 12:41 pm

I have seen this album but avoided due to all negative chit chat on the internets, if I see it cheap I will pick it up
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 4:58 pm

Michael Schenker Group-Arachnophobiac

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 220px-Michael_Schenker_Group_album_cover_Arachnophobiac

2003 Shrapnel Records
Produced by Mike Varney (surprise anybody surprised)Michael Schenker, and Steve Fontano.
Recorded at a studio in Cotati, Calif. and Las Vegas, Nv.

All songs written by Schenker and Logan

1."Evermore" – 5:22
2."Illusion" – 5:24
3."Arachnophobiac" – 4:46*
4."Rock and Roll Believer" – 4:07
5."Sands of Time" – 4:38*
6."Weathervane" – 5:02
7."Over Now" – 5:47*
8."One World" – 4:06
9."Break the Cycle" – 3:50*
10."Alive" – 4:50
11."Fatal Strike" – 4:25

Michael Schenker-guitars
Chris Logan-vocals
Stuart Hamm-bass
Jeremy Colson-drums

songs with*-Jeff Watson-lead guitar

A lilttle sample of whats on the album

"Evermore"

"Arachnophobiac"

"One World"

"Illusion"

"Break The Cycle"

The singer was WAY better on the last album. He tries way too hard on some songs to sound like Gary Barden and Graham Bonnet on others.
The songs are not as cohesive as the last album as a whole and seem to run the gamut between The early/mid 80's MSG and even the McAuley fronted line up. It is hard to say too much bad about it due to my Schenker
fanboy-ness, but alot could be better. Considering the musicians present in the recording of the album, expectations were somewhat high. I really liked the way Chris Logan sang on "Beware Of Scorpions". (IMHDO) He is the weak spot on this album. Varney adds his usual vocals WAY up front in the mix and lead guitar a notch or two too higher than needed.

There are a couple of very good songs, a few good songs, and songs that tried way too hard to be something they had no business being.

rated C+

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 5:35 pm

Hmmmm, not going on the list.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 5:53 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:

Did ya listen to the clips or just go by my "review" ?

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:58 pm

Unit you posted these clips I never heard these songs, unless they were included in the one MSG DVD that features Logan on vocals.

The songs you posted are not bad, but this is Schenker uninspired and while the Logan guy can sing, the problem is he has no real personality. I think that is the main problem with these songs, is their lacking a powerful personality behind that voice, to rise these songs above average
Back to top Go down
journeyman
Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:21 pm

My first experience with MSG was Perfect Timing and remained so for a long time. I had heard about Schenker and he continually appeared on guitar polls, but for some odd reason I didn't have any of his previous releases. I recently purchased the first 4 studio albums along with the 3 McAuley Schenker ones. I was really into the Perfect Timing album when it was released and upon re-purchase I wasn't as taken with it as I was back then. I can't believe I didn't have these albums years ago because I'm sure I would have liked them as much as I do now. It is easy to hear the UFO influence and what a big part he played in UFO. Michael is a good guitarist and now understand why he has always been a respected and influential guitarist appearing in guitar magazines over the years. I am really digging the first 4 studio albums. I had no idea Michael had such a large catalog. I will definitely re-read this thread and start working through some of his more recent releases. Any recommendations on essential and/or order. I have many thoughts on the first 7 studio albums, but I think I need to spend I little more time with them before making any grand observations. How did I miss this band growing up and yet I had so many of the shrapnel releases and none of theses.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:38 pm

journeyman wrote:
How did I miss this band growing up and yet I had so many of the shrapnel releases and none of theses.

"Arachnophobiac" is the only MSG album on Shrapnel Records. The initial releases were on Chrysalis, the McAuley fronted records on Capitol, and then on SPV and other small indie labels.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:43 pm

manny wrote:
Unit you posted these clips I never heard these songs, unless they were included in the one MSG DVD that features Logan on vocals.

The songs you posted are not bad, but this is Schenker uninspired and while the Logan guy can sing, the problem is he has no real personality. I think that is the main problem with these songs, is their lacking a powerful personality behind that voice, to rise these songs above average

That is kinda/sorta the point in my review. Logan was "killer" on the release before this one and it is a real "head scratcher" as to why things are such a "drastic" turnaround. I can speculate and blame Varney whispering one thing in Schenker's ear and then another thing alogether in Logan's. That would be easy. He is the only "decision" maker that is present on this album and not the one before it. So who knows ?

Metal master
Metal master
journeyman

Number of posts : 883

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:09 am

James B. wrote:
journeyman wrote:
How did I miss this band growing up and yet I had so many of the shrapnel releases and none of theses.

"Arachnophobiac" is the only MSG album on Shrapnel Records. The initial releases were on Chrysalis, the McAuley fronted records on Capitol, and then on SPV and other small indie labels.
Sharpnel had a lot of shredders and I was really into that at the time, so I'm at a loss as to why I skipped on MSG, cause Schenker burns up the fretboard.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:39 am

journeyman wrote:
Sharpnel had a lot of shredders and I was really into that at the time, so I'm at a loss as to why I skipped on MSG, cause Schenker burns up the fretboard.

yeah, I have alot of those early Shrapnel releases in the vinyl collection. The instrumental shredders and the bands with the shredders and the screamers in them. Some is really good stuff (IMHDO)

Schenker only did the one Shrapnel releases and it came out in 2003.

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 12:51 pm

Quote :

Dark Horseman wrote:

Did ya listen to the clips or just go by my "review" ?
I listened to two of the clips and they were ok but I need more then ok with my budget and if the fanboy only moderately likes them that seals it.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I listened to two of the clips and they were ok but I need more then ok with my budget and if the fanboy only moderately likes them that seals it.

If it was another band, I may have not been so hard on it. You just expect more consistancy when ya have the same songwriting team together agian and the other album they did was pretty good.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm

I know I do not own those last two MSG albums. I do remember that Schenker was having some personal/mental problems around the Arachnaphobia album...... It was all over the rock net. I had read that Watson was brought in to finish the album, so I avoided it. I didn't want to here an MSG trainwreck.

after listening to these clips, it doesn't sound too bad..........
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 5:09 pm

MSG-Heavy Hitters
Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 220px-MSG_heavy_hitters

Released July, 25th 2005
Deadline/Cleopatra Records
Produced by Bob Kulick, Brett Chassen, and Brian Perera

Track Listing

1."All Shook Up" (Otis Blackwell; Elvis Presley) - 4:21 (Elvis Presley cover)
Joe Lynn Turner - vocals
Michael Schenker - guitars
Bob Kulick - guitars
Jeff Pilson - bass
Aynsley Dunbar - drums
2."Blood of the Sun" (Felix Pappalardi; Gail Collins Pappalardi; Leslie West) - 3:52 (Leslie West/Mountain cover)
Leslie West - vocals
Bob Kulick - guitars
Rudy Sarzo - bass
Simon Wright - drums
3."Doctor Doctor" (Michael Schenker; Phil Mogg) - 6:07 (UFO cover)
Jeff Scott Soto - vocals
Bob Kulick - guitars
Jeremy Rubolino - keyboards, strings arrangements
Marco Mendoza - bass
Brent Chassen - drums
4."War Pigs" (Bill Ward; Geezer Butler; Ozzy Osbourne; Tony Iommi) - 7:24 (Black Sabbath cover)
Tim "Ripper" Owens - vocals
Bob Kulick - guitars
Mike Inez - bass
Aynsley Dunbar - drums
5."I'm Not Talking" (Mose Allison) - 4:10 (Mose Allison cover)
Mark Slaughter - vocals
Bob Kulick - guitars
Jeff Pilson - bass
Aynsley Dunbar - drums
6."Money" (Roger Waters) - 6:04 (Pink Floyd cover)
Tommy Shaw - vocals
Edgar Winter - sax
Tony Levin - bass
Mike Baird - drums
7."Out in the Fields" (Gary Moore) - 4:25 (Gary Moore cover)
Gary Barden - vocals
Bob Kulick - guitars
Chuck Wright - bass
Brent Chassen - drums
8."Hair of the Dog" (Dan McCafferty; Darrell Sweet; Manny Charlton; Pete Agnew) - 4:11 (Nazareth cover)
Paul Di'Anno - vocals
Bob Kulick - guitars
Phil Soussan - bass
Vinny Appice - drums
9."I Don't Live Today" (Jimi Hendrix) - 3:54 (The Jimi Hendrix Experience cover)
Sebastian Bach - vocals
Bob Kulick - guitars
Tony Franklin - bass
Eric Singer - drums
10."Politician" (Jack Bruce; Pete Brown) - 5:10 (Cream cover)
Jeff Pilson - vocals, bass
Brent Chassen - drums

Re-released as a Schenker solo lp titled "Doctor, Doctor:The Kulick Sessions" with 4 aditional songs (1,2,13, and 14) in 2007

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 220px-Doctor_Doctor_Kulick

1."Save Yourself" (Robin McAuley; Michael Schenker) - 5:55 (with Robin McAuley)
2."Finding My Way" (Alex Lifeson; Geddy Lee) - 5:19 (Rush cover)
Sebastian Bach - vocals
Bob Kulick - guitars
Tony Franklin - bass
Eric Singer - drums
3."All Shook Up"
4."Blood of the Sun"
5."Doctor Doctor"
6."War Pigs"
7."I'm Not Talking"
8."Money"
9."Out in the Fields"
10."Hair of the Dog"
11."I Don't Live Today"
12."Politician"
13."Doctor Doctor" - 6:16 (instrumental version)
14."War Pigs" - 7:25 (instrumental version)

Re-released again in 2011 as "By Invitation Only"

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 220px-MSG_by_invitation_only

1."Run to the Hills" (Steve Harris) - 4:05 (Iron Maiden cover)
Robin McAuley – lead vocals
Michael Schenker – lead guitar
Pete Fletcher – rhythm guitar
Tony Franklin – bass
Brian Tichy – drums
2."Save Yourself"
3."Finding My Way"
4."All Shook Up"
5."Blood of the Sun"
6."Doctor Doctor"
7."War Pigs"
8."I'm Not Talking"
9."Money"
10."Out in the Fields"
11."Hair of the Dog"
12."I Don't Live Today"
13."Politician"

I don't own any of these but I do have both of the Schenker-Pattison Summit:Endless Jam cds, which are also all cover tunes. I have had "Heavy Hitters" in my hand at a store in Sacramento but put it back in favor of the Nevermore live DVD. Since then, I've not seen it at a store or went out of the way to scope out a place to get it online.

Here is a sample of how bad it can be....

and done quite well....

Here is a song with some stuff done good but other stuff not....

I'm a Schenker fanboy and it doesn't really bother me not owning any of these. Who knows, I might remedy that someday ?

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 6:13 pm

I've listened to some of that Heavy Hitters but have never seen it. Might pick it up if I did but i'm probably not going out of my way to order it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:10 pm

'Heavy Hitters' is really a hit or miss album, that misses more then hits its mark, but at this point Schenker's life was a bit of a disarray and it is reflected in his music
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 4:48 pm

Tales of Rock n Roll by MSG

Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 220px-MSG_tales_of_rnr

Released March 27th, 2006 via Armagedden Music

Produced By Michael Schenker

All music by M. Schenker
Lyrics by Jari Tiura, except where noted

1."The Ride" - 3:16
2."Setting Sun" - 3:44
3."Angel of Avalon" (Leif Sundin) - 2:21
4."Dreams Inside" (Chris Logan) - 3:33
5."Dust to Dust" - 3:28
6."Voice of My Heart" - 2:40
7."Journey Man" - 2:30
8."Big Deal (False Alarms)" (Kelly Keeling) - 2:59
9."St. Ann" - 1:38
10."Shadow Lady" - 2:31
11."Love Trade" - 3:48
12."Human Child" - 2:58
13."Bitter Sweet" - 3:04
14."Blind Alley" - 2:44
15."Freedom" - 3:58
16."Life Vacation" (Keeling) - 2:53
17."Rock 'n' Roll" (Graham Bonnet) - 3:42
18."Tell a Story" (Robin McAuley) - 3:08
19."Life Goes On" (instrumental)

Band Members

Jari Tiura - vocals
Wayne Findlay - keyboards, rhythm guitar, 7 string guitars, lead guitar trade off with Schenker on "Big Deal" and "Life Vacation"
Pete Way - bass
Jeff Martin - drums

Additional Musicians

Gary Barden - vocals on "Life Vacation"
Graham Bonnet - vocals on "Rock 'n' Roll"
Robin McAuley - vocals on "Tell a Story"
Kelly Keeling - vocals on "Big Deal"
Leif Sundin - vocals on "Angel of Avalon"
Chris Logan - vocals on "Dreams Inside"

What kind of fanboy am I don\'t know Never knew this existed till doing research for this thread. Chugging right along....Here are some clips

With Graham Bonnet...

With Robin McAuley....

I am gonna order this from wherever it is cheaper. Those two clips have possibilities. Gonna scope out YouTube later on for more.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 5:05 pm

This was a return to form for Mr Schenker where he was finding his feet again as a solo artist, not a spectular album but a good solid disc
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 1:08 am

James, did you ever listen to that Odd Trio album he did? I don't remember when it came out, but it did look odd............
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 12:31 pm

Somehow I picked up Tales close to it's release date. Good stuff with a couple of standout cuts like Life Vacation and Dreams Inside.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:31 am

In The Midst Of Beauty by MSG
Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 220px-K50820h2qe1

Released May, 13 2008 on In-akustik Records

Recorded 2008 at Studio 2, Neu-Ulm, Germany, except drums at Phantom Recordings, Sherman Oaks, Los Angeles, California

Produced by Romi Schickle, Michael Schenker, Siggi Schwarz

1."City Lights" - 3:44
2."Competition" - 3:20
3."I Want You" - 4:32
4."End of the Line" - 4:01
5."Summerdays" - 5:12
6."A Night to Remember" - 4:39
7."Wings of Emotion" - 4:04
8."Come Closer" - 2:57
9."The Cross of Crosses" - 4:55
10."Na Na" - 3:33
11."I Am the One" - 3:54
12."Ride on My Way" - 4:44

All songs written by Michael Schenker and Gary Barden

Gary Barden - vocals
Don Airey - keyboards
Neil Murray - bass
Simon Phillips - drums

The cover has MSG logo added to Schenker/Barden. Schenker states this in the album notes, "This title came about through my experience and realisation that - in the midst of beauty - the beast is always waiting and ready to attack...".

I have mixed feelings about this cd. The right elements are present...Barden back in the fold, Schenker wailing away, great players, songs are better than they've been in alot of years. The production is what holds it back, especially the way the vocals are recorded. Michael's guitar tone is not right either.

I just threw up some random clips. They represent what ya get. Some great riffs, both fast and melodic leads, good melodies, but....the problem is evident. A cluttered production and messing with a signature guitar tone really, really messes up what could be a great album.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 9:47 am

MSG-The 30th Anniversary Concert
Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 220px-The_30th_Anniversary_Concert_-_Live_In_Tokyo

Released Oct. 10th 2010 on In-akustik
Produced by Kiyoshi Iwasawa, Kota Akutsu
DVD directed by Kiyoshi Iwasawa, Shin Yamamoto
Recorded live and filmed at Nakano Sunplaza, Tokyo (Jan 13th, 2010)

Disc one
1. "Welcome Howl" Michael Schenker 2:06
2. "Feels Like a Good Thing" Schenker, Gary Barden 3:45
3. "Cry for the Nations" Schenker, Barden 5:50
4. "Let Sleeping Dogs Lie" Schenker, Barden, Chris Glen, Paul Raymond, Cozy Powell 6:59
5. "Armed and Ready" Schenker, Barden 4:24
6. "Victim of Illusion" Schenker, Barden 5:22
7. "Are You Ready to Rock" Schenker, Barden 6:49
8. "I Want You" Schenker, Barden 4:00
9. "Night to Remember" Schenker, Barden 4:14
10. "Into the Arena" Schenker 4:22
Total length: 47:50

Disc two
1. "Lost Horizons" Schenker, Barden 9:52
2. "Rock My Nights Away" Barden, Andy Nye 4:48
3. "On and On" Schenker, Barden 5:40
4. "Attack of the Mad Axeman" Schenker, Barden 5:16
5. "Ride on My Way" Schenker, Barden 4:27
6. "Rock Bottom" Schenker, Phil Mogg 11:39
7. "Dance Lady Gypsy" Schenker 4:28
8. "Doctor Doctor" Schenker, Mogg 5:51

DVD contains same track listing plus bonus material of LA rehearsals and backstage Impressions

Michael Schenker - lead/rhythm/acoustic guitars, backing vocals
Gary Barden - vocals
Wayne Findlay - keyboards, rhythm guitars, backing vocals
Neil Murray - bass
Simon Phillips - drums

I own this but havn't ever listened to it (still in shrink wrap) This doesn't surprise me cause I have quite a few concert dvds that are still unopened.

This ends the MSG thread. Below are releases done by Michael Schenker as a solo artist and/or with other performers but not with any bands like UFO or Scorpions.

SOLO

Thank You (1993)
Thank You 2 (1998)
Thank You with Orchestra (1999)
Adventures of the Imagination (2000)
The Odd Trio (2000)
Thank You 3 (2001)
Dreams and Expressions (2001)
Thank You 4 (2003)
Temple of Rock (2011)

OTHER PROJECTS

Look at Me Now (Bernie Marsden Album) (1981) as guest
Contraband (1991)
Legends of Rock at Castle Donington (2001, Live)
The Plot (2003)
Under Construction (2003)
Schenker-Pattison Summit - The Endless Jam (2004)
Siggi Schwarz & The Electricguitar Legends (2004)
Schenker-Pattison Summit - The Endless Jam Continues (2005)
Siggi Schwarz & The Rock Legends (2005)
Heavy Metal Thunder (2005)
Numbers from the Beast (2005)
Agony & The Xtasy (Gary Barden Solo Album) (2006)
Siggi Schwarz and Michael Schenker - Live Together (2006, Live)
Doctor Doctor: The Kulick Sessions (2008) (Heavy Hitters + 4 additional tracks)
Schenker Barden Acoustic Project - Gipsy Lady (2009)
Metal X-Mas (2CD Special Edition) (2010)
Strangers In The Night (2010)
By Invitation Only (2011)
Seeking Major Tom (2011)

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Nice job. A couple of these are on the list to get.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 2:08 pm

Michael Schenker is my all time favorite guitarist. There are certain eras of I've skipped. But I still think he's the best.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Michael Schenker Group Discography   Michael Schenker Group Discography - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Michael Schenker Group Discography
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4