Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Sabbath - *The official thread*

Go down 
+66
Lari
Addy
choosemetal
Runicen
Glower
TrogDawn
mlotek
Thelemech
MetalRob331
MoonChild
Required Fields
akeldama
Joe
chilejay7
MetallicSeminarian
Vexer6
Chairman_Smith
brokentulsa
sheets
ElectricEye93
AutumnShantel
ZombieHavoc
Dellocatus
iamrockerfun
BillRoxx
DevZor
candlemass
SycoMantis91
corplhicks
kmorg
deathisgain
ultmetal
A Handful of Wayne
DallasBlack
Eyesore
journeyman
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
chewie
ShadowAngel
Lurideath
Boris2008
SpectreFate
Temple of Blood
Witchfinder
Gilbert
Doomedpoet
ozzman
jstate
Troublezone
James B.
Dark Horseman
Metal Misfit
GrandNational
Alex Dee Rokket
nevermore
MEGATRON
thejokeriv
exact33
manny
metalinmyveins
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
Fat Freddy
Psychotron
70 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 2:52 pm

Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 56834
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 8:32 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I love the Dio years and I like what I've heard from "born again" and the Martin era, but I'm gonna go so far as to say that it sounds really good to hear ozzy fronting sabbath again.

This album gets better the more I listen. Not a weak track on it.

I agree. It is a very good album!

MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 12:54 pm

exact33 wrote:
MetallicSeminarian wrote:
I love the Dio years and I like what I've heard from "born again" and the Martin era, but I'm gonna go so far as to say that it sounds really good to hear ozzy fronting sabbath again.

This album gets better the more I listen. Not a weak track on it.

I agree. It is a very good album!

I concur, a wonderful album. Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 395375
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 12:21 pm

"13" will be on my Top 10 this year. I haven't stopped listening to it since it came out. Fantastic album!

Metal novice
Metal novice
chilejay7

Number of posts : 94

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 12:30 pm

I totally agree.  I just love this album and it gets played at least once a day.  "Damaged Soul" is a crushing song!
Back to top Go down
DevZor
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
DevZor

Number of posts : 336

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 1:05 pm

Amen to the last few posts. Tony and Geezer have really come up with a captivating sound on this record.  I just can't get enough of the guitar/bass interplay on 13.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 1:09 pm

DevZor wrote:
Tony and Geezer have really come up with a captivating sound on this record.  I just can't get enough of the guitar/bass interplay on 13.

You've stumbled upon the enigmatic ingredient that sets Iommi/Butler apart from just about everyone else.  Countless bands have used the Black Sabbath template over the past 40 years (think about Witchfinder General or Orchid for example).  Yet none of them can truly capture the sound because you can't imitate the chemistry that Iommi & Geezer share.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Great album. I listened to it on my way home from work for the first time (picked it up during my lunch break) and thought it sounded okay. I listened to it again today while cutting grass in the heat and humdity and it really got through to me. Excellent all the way through! God Is Dead? is the standout track for me right now.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 1:45 pm

I have listened to 13 several times now and, oddly enough, it reminds me more of 80's Ozzy than Sabbath.  I defintely think Ozzy's vocal melodies are vintage Blizzard/Diary.  Frankly, it sounds like the natural progression of the band if Ozzy had remained into the 80s.  This definitely does not remind me of 70s Sabbath other than the Planet Caravan Redux - oops, I mean Zeitgeist - and the intro to End of the Beginning.  Both of those were obvious attempts to sound like the debut/Paranoid.  

The drumming is essentially inaudible in the mix.  Dumb.  

Tony and Geezer sound great.

Damaged Soul is really cool.

The Deluxe/Best Buy bonus tracks are really where the band sounds like 80s solo Ozzy.  All four bonus cuts are excellent.

So basically, this is a very good Sabbath album and an outstanding Ozzy solo album. This will most likely be in my best of list at the end of the year.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:36 pm

Odd, sounds nothing like that to me...
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 2:38 pm

candlemass wrote:

I am almost positive it's Ozzy's vocals that are making me think of 80s solo Ozzy.

Not that it matters really, the album is excellent.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 3:29 pm

I'm not sure about Ozzy's vocals, but the music itself reminds me much more of 70s Sabbath, though not a retread of past glories.

At any rate, this album still SLAYS.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12633

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 9:10 pm

great album of what it should be....70's style Sabbath. They did a back to back thang on VH1 Classic this morning, the old n new trip. "Paranoid" and then "God Is Dead" videos.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 9:17 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
candlemass wrote:

I am almost positive it's Ozzy's vocals that are making me think of 80s solo Ozzy.  

Not that it matters really, the album is excellent.

i would agree. I think its the help they gave him.

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 10:15 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
I defintely think Ozzy's vocal melodies are vintage Blizzard/Diary.  Frankly, it sounds like the natural progression of the band if Ozzy had remained into the 80s.  

Ozzy's vocal style in the early 80s is completely evident on the albums Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die.

Musically the songs on the album itself sound 100% like Black Sabbath. The bonus tracks have more of an 80s vibe and while they are very good I'm glad they were not included on the actual album because I don't think they match stylistically.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 am

I've been listening to Technical Ecstasy a lot lately and think that was the album that gave Ozzy his 80's style (particularly the first two solo records)

The new album is great, nothing like solo Ozzy (other than Ozzy is singing on it) Yes some of the songs are a deliberate nod to the early style, not sure what people who don't want that were expecting?
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 18, 2013 9:56 am

Not a huge fan of 13 so far, but I've only given it a few casual listens.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 10:55 am

Great Sabbath show last night! Tony and Geezer were on fired and sounded amazing. Ozzy....... he was GREAT..... on most songs, but on some verses he was off key and a bit cringe-worthy. One of my friends said Ozzy was much better than the last time he saw him. He looked sober. The drummer - Tommy Clueless or what ever they call him did a decent job.

The new tracks sounded great live

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Cool! I'm not going to get a chance to see them this time around, but I saw Ozzy/Tony/Geezer/Ward on the reunion tour in 1998 and it was one of the best shows I've ever attended.
Back to top Go down
AutumnShantel
Metal novice
Metal novice
AutumnShantel

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 1:18 pm

chilejay7 wrote:
I totally agree.  I just love this album and it gets played at least once a day.  "Damaged Soul" is a crushing song!

That's my favorite, too. Actually it's probably one of my favorite Sabbath songs, now...

I'm pretty excited about seeing them this Tuesday, can't believe I talked my husband into taking me!! (as long as I bought the tickets, of course) lol
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 3:08 pm

S.D. wrote:
Cool!  I'm not going to get a chance to see them this time around, but I saw Ozzy/Tony/Geezer/Ward on the reunion tour in 1998 and it was one of the best shows I've ever attended.  

I just missed them this past Monday, due to money and work. Hopefully they will swing around here again.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 8:51 pm

S.D. wrote:
Cool!  I'm not going to get a chance to see them this time around, but I saw Ozzy/Tony/Geezer/Ward on the reunion tour in 1998 and it was one of the best shows I've ever attended.  

Had a great time! Ozzy was on fire and sounded great for the first three tracks, then it was hit or miss... he either sounded great or was off key (depending on the verse.) Tony and Geezer more than made up for Ozzy's shortcomings...

I just missed them this past Monday, due to money and work. Hopefully they will swing around here again.[/quote]

Hopefully they will!

Setlist:

War Pigs
Into the Void
Under the Sun/Every Day Comes and Goes
Snowblind
Age of Reason
Black Sabbath
Behind the Wall of Sleep
N.I.B.
End of the Beginning
Fairies Wear Boots
Methademic
Rat Salad
Drum Solo
Iron Man
God Is Dead?
Dirty Women
Children of the Grave
Encore:
Paranoid
(Sabbath Bloody Sabbath intro)
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm still trying to find someone who wants to go to this (that can afford it!) But with Ozzy hit & miss and no Bill, it's not at the top of my priorities. After hearing Clueless murder Electric Funeral, I really don't want to hear what he does to Children of the grave.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 03, 2013 9:58 pm

Took a break from "13" for a couple weeks, played it again this morning and it's still awesome. We're a lucky bunch of music fans that Ozzy/Tony/Geezer decided to do another album together.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 10:03 am

Saw them Saturday night. To the surprise of noone I,m sure, Ozzy sounded terrible. A team of scientists are still trying to figure out what key he was singing in. And if I had a nickel for everytime he said "Let me see your hands, c'mon!!", I'd would have almost had enough to buy a concert t-shirt. He improved slighty as the night went on, but mostly he was horribly out of tune.

Tony looked and sounded great. For a man that's going through (or just finished) chemo treatments, you'd never know. He looked just as bad-assed as usual. Not skinny or pale. I could see some scalp through his hair, so I don't believe he was bald or wearing a wig.

I have a new-found respect for Geezer too. I never really took notice as to how fast his hands are going. They are constantly moving, even during the slower songs. He's not just plinking one note and letting it sustain. Just awesome.

The drummer? Eh, he did ok I guess. I'm no drummer, so I don't know how technically good or bad he is. He kept the beat, maybe he over-played some stuff. Would have preferred to see Bill back there, but it is what it is.

I'm certainly glad I got to see them for what could be the last time. Even if Tony beats his cancer, who knows if they'll ever tour again. If you have the chance, I'd highly recommend it.

PostSubject: Re: Black Sabbath - *The official thread*   Black Sabbath - *The official thread* - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Sabbath - *The official thread*
Page 24 of 32Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 28 ... 32  Next