Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUEENSRYCHE

Go down 
+52
bass63
JBall_Z
Storm_Rider89
Wayne
mc666
Gilbert
Wurthless
corplhicks
nevermore
journeyman
Citanul
stormspell
metalinmyveins
Infinite
Chairman_Smith
kmorg
Lurideath
Boris2008
tul
Zze
Orion Crystal Ice
7thSaviour
Arjun_M
superjuice
A Handful of Wayne
SpectreFate
Eyesore
DeathCult
DallasBlack
chewie
sidmaximus
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
Lari
BearOnUnicycle
DevZor
Witchfinder
jettafiend
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Dark Horseman
Lazlo Toth
thejokeriv
manny
Required Fields
Vexer6
James B.
exact33
Shawn Of Fire
akeldama
ultmetal
56 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Empty
PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:13 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
It sounds a little lost....though not bad..

Yeah. I thought it was going to build into something and then it seemed to prematurely go into that clean guitar bit. The chorus isn't too catchy I think.

If HEIR APPARENT had released this, would anyone care? Brand loyalty in the metal scene is a bizarre thing.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
It sounds a little lost....though not bad..

If HEIR APPARENT had released this, would anyone care? Brand loyalty in the metal scene is a bizarre thing.

Not to take away from your point, but yeah, I'd be excited if Heir Apparent released anything, as long as it didn't suck.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Wurthless wrote:
Not to take away from your point, but yeah, I'd be excited if Heir Apparent released anything, as long as it didn't suck.

Ha! Yeah, they've been away too long (except for the occasional festival here or there).
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 10:47 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:

Being established has alot to do with a band/brand having loyalty to begin with. If there wasn't this big "to-do" with Tate getting kicked out in the first place. I'd doubt there be much interest in this to begin with. Used to be a huge Queensryche fan, but by the time "Rage For Order" came around, I wasn't so much "brand loyal" any longer. Most fans from that time frame gave up after "Empire" (or shortly thereafter) and lost interest in the "brand" anyways. IMHDO, Heir Apparent isn't really even known enough to even merit comparing in your scenario. Ask 5 metalheads in their 40's and maybe 3 may have heard of them. It would be a stretch that 1 of the 5 could name either of their albums, much less a song title or a band member.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:06 pm

I was using them as a comparison because their style is a bit similar to QR's "classic sound". Insert your favorite QR "clone" band if you'd like.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I was using them as a comparison because their style is a bit similar to QR's "classic sound". Insert your favorite QR "clone" band if you'd like.

It makes sense, and they are both from the Seattle area as well. I am listening to them as I type (thanks for the nudge) and you are right, nobody would even care (a few maybe)

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:52 pm

If one of the newer thrash bands made Death Magnetic, nobody would care. It's just the nature of metal, it does breed real loyalty and people want to love the bands that they love and are prepared to be very forgiving at times.

I can't say that it has affected me that way ever though. I was an absolutely huge Metallica fan when AJFA came out, a huge Motorhead fan when Iron Fist was released, completely insanely into Ozzy and Priest at the time of The Ultimate Sin and Turbo but I didn't like any of those records and I had no problem saying so. It didn't make me hate the bands, I just waited for the next ones (which unfortunately in most cases were even worse!! Laughing very hard )
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 11:59 pm

indeed. But if metal fans want metal to keep surviving, it's gonna have to cut down, because the quality that's overlooked all of the time, struggling in the underground...those are the bands that can help beef up the music, beef up the diversity, the quantity, and some fans simply don't allow it, and that's when it turns from a metal mentality into the 'classic rock' mentality. All other music be damned, because THIS BAND IS CLAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSIIIIIIC.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 12:17 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
indeed. But if metal fans want metal to keep surviving, it's gonna have to cut down, because the quality that's overlooked all of the time, struggling in the underground...those are the bands that can help beef up the music, beef up the diversity, the quantity, and some fans simply don't allow it, and that's when it turns from a metal mentality into the 'classic rock' mentality. All other music be damned, because THIS BAND IS CLAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSIIIIIIC.

You'll get no argument from me. One of the main reasons I fell away from the metal scene is because I didn't really like what I was hearing from the mainstream and circumstances meant that i couldn't be bothered to dig deeper until a few years ago. That has changed for me in recent years and I have found some real gems of bands out there that really don't get enough love.

But at the end of the day, I wouldn't like to be slated for liking what I like so I can't really criticize others for the same thing.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 1:23 am

No matter what era of music or the style for that matter, you are gonna have complacency, over saturation, and something "hot" cooking in the underground. It is possible to dig on a certain band for whatever reason and not actually get into the whole scene that that particular group is a part of. Nowadays even more so, due to both over emphasis on genre(s) and when something "sticks" via mainstream attention and/or success. The outcome is either being shunned my "elites" and "purists" for merely the sake of becoming succesful or not fitting into some lil box that alot of music fan have. My biggest complaint about the stretching out found in most of the modern day harder edged music, ya know the opposite of the "classic rock mentality" is the lack of "personality" in the performances. Somehow folks have dissected growling into sub classifications and BPM became the guage for which a drummer is given merit.

History has shown again and again that with that cookie-cutter mentality, the underground scenes become rip for the picking and the cycle repeats itself (again) Also, when it's all said and done...usually the better band remain unknown and forgotten for the most part.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:01 am

James B. wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Being established has alot to do with a band/brand having loyalty to begin with. If there wasn't this big "to-do" with Tate getting kicked out in the first place. I'd doubt there be much interest in this to begin with. Used to be a huge Queensryche fan, but by the time "Rage For Order" came around, I wasn't so much "brand loyal" any longer. Most fans from that time frame gave up after "Empire" (or shortly thereafter) and lost interest in the "brand" anyways.
I think your assessment might be a bit skewed by the fact that you haven't really been interested in the band in nearly 30 years.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:06 am

I also tend to think that it's much easier to suggest underground bands are far more deserving of success than popular bands because their fan base and the environment in which they exist are different. It is absolutely much cooler, especially for fans, on the club level, but the typically the reality is that those underground bands aren't nearly as good or talented as the popular bands.

And when they are as good and they make that leap from underground to "mainstream," what happens? Fans claim they sold out, claim they're just not as good anymore, etc. Usually not true at all.

Music means a lot to people, and fans tend to attach so many things to the music that sometimes the music itself becomes the least important thing to them.

Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:19 am

Eyesore wrote:
I think your assessment might be a bit skewed by the fact that you haven't really been interested in the band in nearly 30 years.

Queensryche is an established band and Heir apparent isn't. My interest, or lack thereof doesn't matter or change anything in that regard. Or at least I think it does ?

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 5:09 am

James B. wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Queensryche is an established band and Heir apparent isn't. My interest, or lack thereof doesn't matter or change anything in that regard. Or at least I think it does ?
I'm talking about your assessment that if "there wasn't this big "to-do" with Tate getting kicked out in the first place. I'd doubt there be much interest in this to begin with."
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 9:00 am

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
New song is cool...more what people want from Queensryche, I think...still not amazing, but respectable.
It's so hard to amaze us in our elderly state. Laughing

That could be it too. I will admit that, I believe as we get older we get harder to impress...especially by bands who already made such a huge impression on us.

That said, I think it's still possible to be impressed even at our advanced age ( QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 387733 ). Case in point, that new Pamela Moore (mentioned since she's Queensryche-adjacent) is really, really good...IMO much better than anything I've heard from either Ryche.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 2:04 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXL6XP0/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00CXL716A&qid=1369227091&sr=1-1

Samples of the Todd-ryche album...

just over 35 minutes...2 instrumentals (Tracks 1 & 7)...nothing over 4 and a half minutes...they're keeping short, sweet and tight.

The vibes were cool...it sounds like a band trying to sound like Queensryche (which is the same thing I have said about post-Perry Journey...a band trying to sound like Journey).

It's Queensryche's "Arrival"...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CXL6XP0/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B00CXL716A&qid=1369227091&sr=1-1

just over 35 minutes...2 instrumentals (Tracks 1 & 7)...nothing over 4 and a half minutes...they're keeping short, sweet and tight.

The vibes were cool...it sounds like a band trying to sound like Queensryche (which is the same thing I have said about post-Perry Journey...a band trying to sound like Journey).

Sounds a lot better than Arrival. It also sounds nothing like early Queensryche, which I guess should be expected. Bands often think they're sounding old school and rarely do. I get that jamming out new tunes together in a room is like they did it back in the day, but that doesn't mean they're recreating that sound, you know.

Anyway, I think it sounds really good. Shame it's so short, though. Looks like they might have done what Geoff did, too, kind of rushed things but instead of skimping on production and songcraft, they skimped on songs. Then again, shorter albums seem to be what a lot of bands are doing these days.

But yeah, sounds a lot better than Frequency Unknown and anything else the band has done in nearly 20 years.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 4:25 pm

Sounds like a little Mindcrime, Empire and Promise Land to me.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 6:26 pm

So I've listened to these sample about a dozen times now, and I'm pretty convinced this album is gonna rock. It has elements of early 90s Queensryche, but it also sounds like there is a nice progression of sounds and style that says, "This is the NEW Queensryche," you know.

Of course it'll be compared widely to the classic Queensryche albums and be panned for not reaching those lofty heights, which is alternately understandable and unfortunate.

I'm just hoping for a really good album, and the more I listen to these samples the more I'm convinced this will fill that criteria. And then some, hopefully.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 8:59 pm

Eyesore wrote:
So I've listened to these sample about a dozen times now, and I'm pretty convinced this album is gonna rock. It has elements of early 90s Queensryche, but it also sounds like there is a nice progression of sounds and style that says, "This is the NEW Queensryche," you know.

Of course it'll be compared widely to the classic Queensryche albums and be panned for not reaching those lofty heights, which is alternately understandable and unfortunate.

I'm just hoping for a really good album, and the more I listen to these samples the more I'm convinced this will fill that criteria. And then some, hopefully.

I finally was able to listen to the samples and I also think the album will rock. I agree people will compare it to the the classic 5 + EP, but from the samples and the three tracks released alone, my guess is the reviews will be along the lines of "best thing since PL." Heck, the samples and songs out there sound like the best thing since PL to my ears. And the songs/samples alone are 1000 times better than FU.

Really looking forward to this one (already pre-ordered the deluxe version)!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 9:36 am

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Sounds a lot better than Arrival. It also sounds nothing like early Queensryche, which I guess should be expected. Bands often think they're sounding old school and rarely do. I get that jamming out new tunes together in a room is like they did it back in the day, but that doesn't mean they're recreating that sound, you know.

No way it's "better" than Arrival...it's about the same (which I do think is good).

I don't think even they think it sounds "old school"...they've said as much...it hearkens back, but it's not retro at all. But it does sound like a band trying to sound like Queensryche as opposed to "THE" Queensryche...if that makes any sense. They've done their best to interject the Queensryche vibe without going total retro, but without (I hate to say it) Tate's vocals, it doesn't sound like Queensryche...it sounds like a band influenced by Queensryche.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 10:14 am

You know what it won't be better than?

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 1307050646

headbanger Cool
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 11:03 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
You know what it won't be better than?

QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 1307050646

headbanger Cool

That record is a blown opportunity...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 11:21 am

....to be not as good as the new Queensrÿche... Cookie!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 12:41 pm

I enjoy Eclipse, some nice guitar work there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUEENSRYCHE   QUEENSRYCHE - Page 31 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUEENSRYCHE
Page 31 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next