Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer

Go down 
+39
Icy Grave
tul
krokus
kyleblack
DakotaRogers
corplhicks
Troublezone
MetallicSeminarian
SideShowDisaSter
Chrome Locust
SpectreFate
Gilbert
T-Roy
Orion Crystal Ice
Witchfinder
manny
thejokeriv
Eyesore
ZombieHavoc
MoonChild
Boris2008
speed101
Lurideath
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
The_Jayroh
James B.
Leatherface
Morrison
adrian
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
ultmetal
mc666
EmoElmo
Temple of Blood
MetalIsMyLife88
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
AuthorMessage
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 5:32 pm

S.D. wrote:
What on earth are you talking about?  How is he dumbing down his style if he doesn't even play on the track?  And what the hell does Scott Ian have to do with anything?  

Guitarists don't get blue balls from not playing a solo...Oh man, Kerry, you gotta let me bust one out before I soil my boxers!"  

Razz

Gary likes to play. How many Exodus songs have no solos? Scott Ian is a rhythm guy, doesn't solo... get the gist? When you are a great guitarist and love to play, chugging along to a song like this is like Jeff Loomis joining Green Day. Maybe he doesn't play on it in the studio, but he will be playing it live, bored out of his mind.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 6:15 pm

Holt hasn't even bothered to learn Jeff's solos even though he's been in the band for years.  He's just lazy and living off street cred.  Musically he's not a great replacement.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:10 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Holt hasn't even bothered to learn Jeff's solos even though he's been in the band for years.  He's just lazy and living off street cred.  Musically he's not a great replacement.

Jeff was great. RIP
But even he had trouble playing his own solos the last several years. The bottom line is that Gary likes to play. He's not the type to stand there and chug along.
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:22 pm

So, you think that guitarists only enjoy themselves when they are playing solos? I guess Eddie Van Halen and Tony Iommi are just standing there on stage, bored shitless, playing those timeless riffs...just punching the time clock until they get a chance to solo? Please.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:40 pm

S.D. wrote:
So, you think that guitarists only enjoy themselves when they are playing solos?  I guess Eddie Van Halen and Tony Iommi are just standing there on stage, bored shitless, playing those timeless riffs...just punching the time clock until they get a chance to solo?  Please.

Bad example. Eddie and Tony play solos... a lot!
I didn't even say that anyone has to play one long f*cking solo! Just add a little flavor to the song.
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:47 pm

I must be typing in Chinese, because for some reason you seem to misinterpret everything I say. I give up. There's a palm tree outside that I think will offer more stimulating discussion.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 8:59 pm

Here we go with that misinterpret crap... I read your words just fine. You sarcastically said that Eddie and Tony must be bored until they get to the solo. I never said anything against their timeless riffs (which are awesome). But what is wrong with a solo to break things up a bit? Especially if that band is known for it. Yeah, maybe that palm tree can cool you off. Have you been out in the sun much today?
Back to top Go down
Infinite
Metal student
Metal student
Infinite

Number of posts : 169

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 16, 2015 9:12 pm

I still love Tom's voice. I just wish Kerry was open to the others contributing. Gary should have been involved in the writing and playing much more on this album. He could have played that intro much better, for example. Hell, even Bostaph has helped write some great stuff in the past with Forbidden. King should utilize these guys. I much preferred Hanneman's songwriting. It just sucks that now it's the Kerry King Show. I don't think the guy's capable of writing an album's worth of great material by himself. Plus it doesn't help that I find him immensely unlikeable. Just hearing him explain how he came up with the lyrics for this new song sums him up for me...a miserable little troll who's just going through the motions for a paycheck at this point.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 2:20 am

Infinite wrote:
I still love Tom's voice. I just wish Kerry was open to the others contributing. Gary should have been involved in the writing and playing much more on this album. He could have played that intro much better, for example. Hell, even Bostaph has helped write some great stuff in the past with Forbidden. King should utilize these guys. I much preferred Hanneman's songwriting. It just sucks that now it's the Kerry King Show. I don't think the guy's capable of writing an album's worth of great material by himself. Plus it doesn't help that I find him immensely unlikeable. Just hearing him explain how he came up with the lyrics for this new song sums him up for me...a miserable little troll who's just going through the motions for a paycheck at this point.

Yeah, Kerry is a control freak. Jeff's passing has basically given him the green light to be the King of Slayer (pun intended).
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 17, 2015 9:09 am

AFAIK Bostaph didn't write anything but drum parts in FORBIDDEN which he still seems to be doing a great job of in SLAYER, so I don't think that's holding them back.

I agree that King on his own seems unlikely to be able to craft a whole album's worth of good material. This new song is exhibit A for me in that regard. This reminds me of the Michael Wilton/QUEENSRYCHE situation: the far lesser songwriter carrying on the band.

And yeah, his lyrics are idiotic.

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jun 07, 2017 3:34 am

So speaking of Slayer, any of you ever hear this version of Live Undead before? This was ripped from my picture disc released by metal blade. It's only side A because side B is studio tracks. Check out the short drum solo when Show no Mercy starts.

Happy national Slayer day! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 29, 2023 12:30 am

Kerry King dropped off his rental car tonight. He left some merch. Mostly small and medium size shirts and a handful of autographed promo pics. I also have a couple plastic Slayer flasks.

I was unfortunately on my break when he arrived. My supervisor told me about it. He has no idea who Slayer is, but he kept some of the Large shirts. Laughing very hard

Slayer - Page 8 D6885410
Slayer - Page 8 79c1ea10
Slayer - Page 8 621e1f10

MetallicSeminarian likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Slayer - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer
Page 8 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8