Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slayer

Go down 
+39
Icy Grave
tul
krokus
kyleblack
DakotaRogers
corplhicks
Troublezone
MetallicSeminarian
SideShowDisaSter
Chrome Locust
SpectreFate
Gilbert
T-Roy
Orion Crystal Ice
Witchfinder
manny
thejokeriv
Eyesore
ZombieHavoc
MoonChild
Boris2008
speed101
Lurideath
metalinmyveins
MetalGuy71
The_Jayroh
James B.
Leatherface
Morrison
adrian
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
ultmetal
mc666
EmoElmo
Temple of Blood
MetalIsMyLife88
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:34 pm

S.D. wrote:
Paul Bostaph has re-joined Slayer full-time, so it appears the split with Lombardo is permanent (at least for now).

Slayer - 2013

Tom Araya
Kerry King
Gary Holt
Paul Bostaph

Slayer - 2013

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:36 pm

S.D. wrote:
Paul Bostaph has re-joined Slayer full-time, so it appears the split with Lombardo is permanent (at least for now).

Slayer - 2013

Tom Araya
Kerry King
Gary Holt
Paul Bostaph

I am glad I got to see them with Jeff and Dave.... no too interested in an album by this line up
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:49 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Slayer - 2013

Tom Araya
Kerry King
Gary Holt
Paul Bostaph

I am glad I got to see them with Jeff and Dave.... no too interested in an album by this line up

Yeah, I seriously doubt I'd buy anything from this lineup. Especially if Kerry king has creative control.
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:50 pm

Jeff was by far the strongest songwriter in the band, an album full of Kerry King compositions and now no Lombardo drops my interest to zero.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 8:55 pm

S.D. wrote:
Jeff was by far the strongest songwriter in the band, an album full of Kerry King compositions and now no Lombardo drops my interest to zero.

Yeah, but Bostaph is pretty much just as good.

I can see now why Bostaph rejoined. His band is over since the singer left. He tried to get his own band off the ground to no avail.
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 9:02 pm

I've never liked Bostaph, the way he played Lombardo's parts in concert they never sounded right.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 9:06 pm

I've got nothing against Bostaph, and Gary Holt is a legend. It's just that when Jeff passed and people started listing the songs that he had sole songwriting credit for, I realised that the part of Slayer that I really loved had gone.

Dave is such an important part of the Slayer sound that he will be missed. No matter how good Bostaph is, I thought that they (he) would go for Dette though.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 9:22 pm

Well, if no Lombardo, I'm glad they at least got Bostaph back. People piss on Kerry's songs all the time, but I've liked his as much as Jeff's.

Now if Tom was not involved, then I don't think I'd be interested.

Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 9:27 pm

S.D. wrote:
I've never liked Bostaph, the way he played Lombardo's parts in concert they never sounded right.

Lombardo doesn't sound like Lombardo live. And they way he played Bostaph's songs was embarrassing (i.e. "Dittohead").
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 11:30 pm

S.D. wrote:

Slayer - 2013

Tom Araya
Kerry King
Gary Holt
Paul Bostaph

That's funny cause I just recently caught a rerun of Kerry and Lombardo on TMS and Kerry was very dismissive and smig when Bostaph name came up in discussion. I am anxious to hear what Holt brings to the table when they write a new album. If King lets him. don\'t know It seems by King's actions lately, he'd not be much willing to let any cash go elsewhere by having another writer sling some tunes out. Bostaph is a good drummer (IMHDO) but he didn't fit into the Slayer niche that well.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 11:44 pm

Bostaph is a good drummer, but he is known for quitting "due to injuries".

They had the best and let him go over money!

Last edited by Troublezone on Fri May 31, 2013 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:18 am

S.D. wrote:

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:44 pm

Do you think Gary Holt will stick around and play on a new album? I've thought of him as just a hired-hand for live performances. I wouldn't expect him to contribute in any meaningful way on new material. If he does anything, it will be playing what Kerry wrote for him to play.

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Kerry has written some very good songs over the years, but what made their best albums work was when the material was split about 50/50 between Hanneman and King, providing a little more variety.

The other thing is I've read interviews with Tom where he indicated that Jeff was his main writing partner, that Tom felt free to collaborate on melodies and other arrangement touches with Jeff. Kerry doesn't want anybody to touch his songs, that was why Tom expressed frustration with alot of the material on God Hates Us All because he wasn't allowed to contribute any ideas.
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 12:54 pm

corplhicks wrote:
S.D. wrote:

Agreed.

I am afraid I am forced to agree upon this statement. Slayer - Page 5 395375
Back to top Go down

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 8:34 pm

Evidently Kerry didn't even bother to tell Lombardo that he was no longer in the band. Dave read about the Paul Bostaph announcement online like everyone else.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 31, 2013 9:38 pm

S.D. wrote:
Evidently Kerry didn't even bother to tell Lombardo that he was no longer in the band. Dave read about the Paul Bostaph announcement online like everyone else.

Neither did Tom.

This makes them both look really lousy.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 10:23 am

Tom talks about the future of the band...

Quote :
Tom Araya reveals talks with Kerry King planned for end of current tour: “Jeff Hanneman’s death has changed everything”.

Tom Araya has revealed that the future of Slayer is uncertain following the death of guitarist Jeff Hanneman – and will remain so until he and band mate Kerry King sit down and evaluate the way forward at the end of their current tour.

Araya: “At the end of this tour, Kerry and I are going to have to sit down and talk as far as how we want to move forward, if we want to move forward. There hasn’t been time for me and Kerry to talk.

“We’ve been on the road but we haven’t really sat down and talked about it. Jeff and I collaborated a lot, and he offered me the opportunity to write or to collaborate with him. Like I said, there are things we have to discuss to either move forward or just to figure something out.”

Talking to Steppin’ Out magazine, Araya admits the band hadn’t considered Jeff Hanneman might not make it, with the band convinced he was on the road to recovery.

The late Slayer guitarist died in May this year and Araya says his death has ‘changed everything.’

“Nobody ever thought about Jeff passing away. I thought about him getting better and getting back onstage. We’ve been talking about getting back in the studio for the last two years, with Jeff being a part of that. It was something to be continued.

“His death has changed everything. Knowing that Jeff was on the sidelines, I was OK. It was always about, ‘Jeff is going to come back.’ Then he passed away and it was more like, ‘Why am I doing this now?’ It changed my attitude about some things. Someone said, ‘It’s really great that you decided to tour and move on,’ but these tours were scheduled in advance.”

With Hanneman’s passing so recent hitting the road again means the band are faced with constant reminders of their former band mate.

He adds: “It is hard. We toured Europe and South America. It got easier, but the first two weeks were rough. The first part of the set was great, the excitement and the roar of the crowd gets you going, but then toward the end of the set, it all starts hitting you. And to top it off, we had the backdrop with the Heineken logo with Hanneman’s name on it come down for the last two songs, South Of Heaven and Angel Of Death.

“That didn’t make it any easier at all. The first week or so, I had a tough time trying to sing without losing it. We did two tours in Europe and one in South America. I’m better now, but it’s different. But still, even though I feel the way I feel, I give more than 100 percent. The show is great.”

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 23, 2013 10:28 am

Gary Holt discusses possibly playing on the next (last?) Slayer album...

Quote :
Washington Times: Is SLAYER is also starting work a new record?

Gary Holt: The recording for that should start sometime maybe by the end of this year. So, hopefully, then kill two birds with one stone and manage to keep both bands touring at the same time. Who knows?

Washington Times: Will you do any of the recording with SLAYER?

Gary Holt: It looks like I'll probably be doing solos on the record, but the songs are all written. Kerry [King] will handle all that stuff. My plate's kind of full anyway, so I'll probably be bouncing back and forth from L.A. to San Francisco.

Washington Times: Tom Araya said that there are a few Jeff Hanneman songs that he was working on. Have you had a chance to hear them and has SLAYER done any work on them?

Gary Holt: No. I know they have some stuff, you know, I think the bulk of whatever's left over was stuff that remained from "World Painted Blood", but I haven't heard it yet, so I can't comment on it. I'm sure it'd be super cool to have some of his last final works end up on the SLAYER album. That would be awesome.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 14, 2013 7:56 am

Here's an article/interview in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette :

http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/music/2013/11/14/THE-END-OF-SLAYER-preview/stories/201311140067
Back to top Go down
EmoElmo
Metal master
Metal master
EmoElmo

Number of posts : 626

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 5:59 pm

Well, the 'Holt-style' is the closest thing that you can possibly get to mesh with Kerry's. But I just hope they let Gary inject more creativity and inputs in their songwriting.
Not a fan of Bostaph either, Lombardo is the only drummer that matters for me as far as Slayer goes.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Going to see Kerry King's Slayer featuring Tom Araya on Tuesday - set list is killer, hopefully the gig is a good one
Back to top Go down
MetallicSeminarian
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
MetallicSeminarian

Number of posts : 1698

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 15, 2013 8:37 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Going to see Kerry King's Slayer featuring Tom Araya on Tuesday - set list is killer, hopefully the gig is a good one
Kerry hasn't asked the Geoff to join yet?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 2:39 pm

MetallicSeminarian wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
Kerry hasn't asked the Geoff to join yet?
Laughing very hard He's waiting until he fires Tom... he places to replace Tom with Rudy Sarzo on bass and The Geoff on vocals....

Fun show - had a great time. Gary Holt nailed it on guitar! He sounded and played great - they found the right person to take Jeff's spot....

Paul was fine and sounded good...but just wasn't Lombardo.

As expected at a Slayer gig, rough crowd (managed to stay in front of the mosh pit for most of the show.) Great set list!

Bonus: African American dude in a wheel chair in the mosh pit tops the night of by crowd surfing in wheel chair several times!

Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 3:47 pm

Wish they'd quit borrowing significantly better bands' musicians. With Rob Dukes dicking around with Generation Kill, and Holt filling in for Slayer, we'll never see another Exodus album ever again.

And I'd rather hear Holt and Altus raising hell on "Exhibition C" than that tired-ass, monotonous Slayer shit. Then again, I heard they were actually going to try on this one. It's a shame it takes a death to make you start playing good music again.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Slayer - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slayer   Slayer - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slayer
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next