Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

TED NUGENT

Go down 
+27
Addy
akeldama
Schbopo
skullsmasher
manny
powermacho
XYZ
assault_attack
ThrashedOutCobra33
the sentinel
White_Mage
Troublezone
bgast1
DallasBlack
criss3o
MetalGuy71
KissinMaiden
Chairman_Smith
Fat Freddy
SAHB Healer
Wargod
journeyman
krokus
Thrasher73
spiritoradio
candlemass
ultmetal
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage

TED NUGENT - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 4:53 pm

So yeah. VH1's "Supergroup" was on this weekend. I watched it AGAIN. As much as I don't agree with 3/4s of what he says, I can't help but think Ted is a decent guy.

I have always liked his music, so I had to find The Ultimate Ted Nugent compilation. That thing is great. I'll be listening to it most of the day tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 5:00 pm

Yea, I stumbled across the "Supergroup" marathon on VH1 yesterday too. I wish I'd known it was going to be on, I would've recorded it. Dang!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 11:32 am

spectrefate wrote:
So yeah. VH1's "Supergroup" was on this weekend. I watched it AGAIN. As much as I don't agree with 3/4s of what he says, I can't help but think Ted is a decent guy.

I have always liked his music, so I had to find The Ultimate Ted Nugent compilation. That thing is great. I'll be listening to it most of the day tomorrow.

That compilation is a pretty good overview of the 70's and early 80's. There is another great compilation that covers the Atlantic years called "Noble Savage" that I would highly recommend.

ult

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:53 pm

I have seen Ted 6 times 3 times as a teenager
once in the late 90's and twice
in the last couple of years . I have to say that I think his best albums are the S/T then Free For All & CSF some of the others right after that are pretty good as well
like State of Shock & Paralized but I have to say that I think most of his really good stuff is his earlist releases. He smokes live to this day though w/o a doubt.

Nice picture ...and yeah I don't agree with some of the things Ted does or says
but I like him anyway.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 10:34 pm

I only have a handful of his albums but I love the man. I run the Hunting Dept. in a sporting goods store and I have satellite tv and radio there, so I never miss an episode of Uncle Ted's "Spirit of the Wild." Great stuff. If you have never seen it, the show opens with a minute or so of Stranglehold. Awesome stuff !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2008 7:54 pm

Kiss me, i'm a Nuge fan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:27 pm

Nuge is pretty cool. I can't say that I consider myself to be a big fan of his, but I like a handful of his songs. I've heard several tracks off of Love Grenade, and I thought they were pretty good.
Back to top Go down
ThrashedOutCobra33
Metal master
Metal master
ThrashedOutCobra33

Number of posts : 586

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 5:51 pm

I dont know smurf poo about Ted but i know his music is excellent good song is yank me crank me! and Great white buffalo
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 19, 2008 11:09 pm

Hard to mention classic Ted without mentioning Derek St.Holmes. He was the voice of the band.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:32 am

ThrashedOutCobra33 wrote:
I dont know smurf poo about Ted but i know his music is excellent good song is yank me crank me! and Great white buffalo

Great White Buffalo is one of Ted's signature songs but was actually written and first recorded for his band the Amboy Dukes. It was on the album "Tooth Fang & Claw". However, many would consider the live version on "Double Live Gonzo" to be the ultimate version of the song. (Although Ted would disagree.)

Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:00 pm

ultmetal wrote:
ThrashedOutCobra33 wrote:

Great White Buffalo is one of Ted's signature songs but was actually written and first recorded for his band the Amboy Dukes. It was on the album "Tooth Fang & Claw". However, many would consider the live version on "Double Live Gonzo" to be the ultimate version of the song. (Although Ted would disagree.)

There goes Ult showing off why he should have a PHD on Ted Nugent lol!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 10:42 am

Thanks to Trog, I know have a first pressing of "Free-For-All" on vinyl. Only a slight difference between the two.
FIRST PRESSING
TED NUGENT - Page 3 Ted_freeLP_2
First pressing also has no bar code and a picture sleeve

SECOND PRESSING
TED NUGENT - Page 3 Ted_freeLP_1

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 10:58 am

Not much of a fan. But to be honest, I really haven't given him a chance. What albums would you recommend ult?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 11:01 am

While I really dig the music, especially the 70's stuff, it's getting tougher and tougher for me to seperate the man from the music. While he's always been outspoken and opinionated, he really seems to be going over-the-top as of late and it's getting to the point of turning me off completely.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 11:20 am

xyz wrote:
Not much of a fan. But to be honest, I really haven't given him a chance. What albums would you recommend ult?

I'd recommend his first solo album, Ted Nugent or Double Live Gonzo! Both albums are required listening IMO. You can also get the "The Ultimate Ted Nugent" (Epic) 2002, which will give you a good overview of his career.

ult

Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 689

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2008 3:13 pm

Yes, I recommend the 1st album also.
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 12:34 am

I love Nugent. I have seen him once. The picture Avatar is from that Nugent show on Nokia Theater, NEW YORK
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 10:18 am

spiritoradio wrote:
Wargod48 wrote:
Big big fan saw him in 81 on Duluth, MN

Woah! Where are you from Wargod? I ask becuase I'm from Duluth, so when Duluth is mentioned I get curious surprised . You saw them at the good 'ole DECC hunh?

I'm from Breckenridge, MN across the state on the ND/MN border. I was stationed in Duluth from 78-81 in the Coast Guard, saw many a good concerts there!

Wargod48
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:19 pm

Saw this old thread on Ted Nugent, when I was younger I was huge Nugent fan and saw him live 1984, with Brian Howe on vocals. I hate his politics but cannot deny his early classics like his s/t, "Cat Scratch Fever" and live "Double Live Gonzo", loved the tone he would get out his Byrdland hollow body guitar. He lost me around "Intensities in Ten Cities", and his next three albums (Nugent, Penetrator, and Little Miss Dangerous) were mostly a miss with me, but he started to get back on track with " If You Can't Lick 'Em.." and "Spirit of the Wild" is an undiscovered classic.
I don't care about an artist politics whether they are libral or conservative I could careless about, but the way he expresses his view points has turned me off and I think at times has clouded my judgement of his music, but if I put that aside I would count myself as a Nugent fan.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 27, 2008 1:22 pm

I agree, Manny. I am collecting his CDs now. I don't agree with his politics, but what the hell does that have to do with the music? NOTHING! His personality is one of those that YOu either love or hate, but he undeniably made some of the best music of the 70's. And now here's Uncle SaX with his opinion......
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 28, 2008 7:58 pm

I have seen the Nuge so many times I can't remember all of them. I must say that all of them were great shows. I have been a big fan of his music since I was a kid. I played Weekend Warriors and State of Shock at least a million times. I have all of his albums and CDs from over the years and like all of them. It was the Damn Yankees that made me think that Ted had wussed out back in the early 90's and I thought he was done for. My wife dragged to one of the DY shows and I was blown away, Jack Blades and Tommy Shaw though very talented musicians have never been too tough in my opinion but Ted brought out the best from these guys and they frickin' rocked. That show changed my opinion of that band and definately proved to me that the Nuge had not gone soft. I do wish he would use his concerts for his music now and less of a political platform but I will always dig the Nuge. He is legend.

I met him a few years ago too and he was very cool to me and my family, signed all we had and gave craveman picks to my kids. His wife was cool too she seemed to be a bit overshadowed by Ted but then who isn't.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 29, 2008 5:25 pm

Caught the Nuge shows at the NY State Fair yesterday. Last time I saw him solo was back around '80 I think. I can't remember the year or tour. I do remember he came swinging out to the stage on a vine if that helps narrow it down at all. It may have been with VH on the Women & Children tour....

...anyway, not as much of the lunitic he was but still a wildman and still puts on one hell of a show! Great crowd too.

Skullsmasher,
I agree with the DM comments. I caught the first tour they did, not expecting too much, but was blown away. Actually, Ted owned the show, everybody else just tried to keep up.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 2:28 pm

ccs wrote:
Skullsmasher,
I agree with the DM comments. I caught the first tour they did, not expecting too much, but was blown away. Actually, Ted owned the show, everybody else just tried to keep up.

Thats how I remember it too, this was the biggest surprise at a show I have ever encountered, went in dragging my heels, came out thing **** that was cool.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 5:22 pm

I've seen Nugent 13x over the years. Always put on a great show. Of course I've been a Nugent fanatic since the mid-70's, so I'm a bit biased.

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 30, 2008 5:31 pm

I think Ted is an excellent guitar player in the Alvin Lee mold and he's written some great riffs over the years, but I wouldn't consider myself a "fan". He too often falls into the "open mouth insert foot" problem.

However, I still have the following albums in my collection:

Amboy Dukes - Tooth, Fang & Claw (Hibernation was always my favorite track)
Ted Nugent - Ted Nugent - I don't think he ever surpassed his debut solo album, it's a classic.
Ted Nugent - Double Live Gonzo

That's pretty much all the Ted I feel that I need (or can handle). When I think about Ted what usually comes to mind is the Zappa album "Shut Up & Play Yer Guitar". just kidding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TED NUGENT   TED NUGENT - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TED NUGENT
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next