Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

80s Ted Nugent

Go down 
+6
Vexer6
brokentulsa
SAHB Healer
ultmetal
Hadley
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 7:45 pm

What are the opinions on 80s Nugent? I've only heard very little of his material from that decade (only wango tango, bound and gagged, and the little miss dangerous album). I've heard many fans claim they were horrible sellout albums, but were there any worthy tracks/albums (LMD to me sounded more like eliminator-era zz top, but thats not a bad thing IMO)?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:16 pm

I like "Nugent", "If You Can't Lick 'Em-Lick 'Em" and "Little Miss Dangerous" quite a bit. "Penetrator" has it's moments but is very slick and keyboard-y for a Nugent album. Great vocals and some good songs though.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 9:29 pm

Here's an 80s Ted tune I've always liked.

Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 11:09 pm

The Brian Howe songs on Penetrator were pretty good AOR era Bad Company, if you like that. Otherwise pass
I doubt many around here liked 80's Brian Howe stuff.
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2014 11:34 pm

I really liked teds 80s album with Penetrator and little miss dangerous being my favorite...(I also dig the 80s Bad Company stuff with Howe)...

Quote :
"Penetrator" has it's moments but is very slick and keyboard-y for a Nugent album. Great vocals and some good songs though.

But after the 80s Ted gave us this....

Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 12:52 am

I think Penetrator is a pretty underrated album, it's a shame that was vocalist Brian Howe's only album with the band, as he was a great singer.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:02 am

Agree on Howe. I think it was really the slick production that keeps that record from being a favorite among Nugent fans. It's just so squeaky clean and keyboard driven, which of course isn't what you think of when you think of the Motor City Madman.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:15 am

'Scream Dream' that kicked off the 80's was an excellent platter, he did not reinvent the wheel, but a solid Nugent album.

'Nugent'- Has OK tunes, but frankly was disappointed in it. For whatever reason he felt he needed to go for a more mainstream almost AOR sound. Also alot of tunes on the disc where OK but not as strong as his material in the 70's or previous album.

Penetrator- really liked the album at the time, but thanks to slick 80's production, over abundance of keyboard wackery, it does not hold too well. If you look at it as a time capsule of the 80's, then its enjoyable in its own right.

Little Miss Dangerous- A step in the right direction, still a few songs have that pop gloss on some tracks, the title track is an absolute classic. His cover of the Love tune, 'Little Red Book' was ill advised.

If You Can't Lick 'em...Lick 'em- Is a great album filled with Nugent gonzo rock blasting at you like an elephant gun. Even has a ballad, a rarity for the Motorcity Madman. There is one song that the Nug co-wrote with Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambore, that sounds just like Bon Jovi!. Not a bad tune but it sounds more like Bon Jovi tune, then anything Nugent would have come up with.
Back to top Go down
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 1:36 pm

The Intensities in 10 Cities (1981) live album has always been one of my favorites, along with Scream Dream.
Penetrator also has some great songs, "Tied Up In Live", "Thunder Thighs", "No Man's Land", "Lean Mean R & R Machine", but is like the others I don't mention from the 80s, it's good, but is not 100% amazing
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 6:07 pm

"Scream Dream" rules. I've always looked at it as the end of an era for Ted. Then he went to Sony/Atlantic Records and tried to keep up with the times. "Nugent" really does have some great songs. "Tailgunner" is great!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeWed Apr 13, 2016 11:59 am

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 11:05 am

Sadly, I don't own any 80's Era Nugent. I got on a Nuge kick a few years back and started from the beginning, but got pulled away by other stuff. I have to get back to the collection.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

80s Ted Nugent Empty
PostSubject: Re: 80s Ted Nugent   80s Ted Nugent Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

80s Ted Nugent
Page 1 of 1