Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands whose first album was their best.

Go down 
+41
Thrasher73
ShadowAngel
Sutekh
allthingsmetal
metalinmyveins
James B.
Eyesore
nevermore
exact33
brokentulsa
stormspell
Gilbert
rawr!
Andy
stepcousin
Wurthless
jettafiend
DallasBlack
bassman
mc666
Leatherface
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
scottmitchell74
Chairman_Smith
adrian
Troublezone
tohostudios
metalhead777
A Handful of Wayne
Rex
ultmetal
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
krokus
kmorg
manny
Fat Freddy
tul
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:25 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

Wurthless wrote:
Here are some examples, in my opinion:

Alice in Chains
Metallica
Kiss
Journey
King's X

Have to disagree with all of these - Dirt is better
MoP, RTL & AJFA are all better than KEA.
KISS has better albums than the debut. The songs from the debut sound much better on Alive!
Journey's stuff with Steve Perry is much better than the early ones
Gretchen & FHL both better than OFTSP

I like AIC's first album the best, it's the most metallic of their albums.

The Metallica choice just boils down to personal preference, I love how raw Kill em All sounds.

Kiss's debut is the only one of their studio albums where I like each song, there's almost always filler on Kiss's albums.

Journey's first album is a great slab of fusion-esque prog, which I much prefer to the Steve Perry pop-rock material (although I still like the Greatest Hits album every once in a while).

The only reason I like OTSP better than other King's X albums is because it's the one I heard first.

Another band that came to mind today was:

Fifth Angel -- Their first album was some awesome US power metal, while their follow up was Dokken inspired melodic metal, which is still pretty good, but it's a bit of a waste of potential imo.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:41 pm

Slave To The Grind is in another universe of awesome compared to the S/T.

Good call on Sword - Metalized is great but I still think Sweet Dreams is excellent.

There is no way that Kiss's first album is their best. That's not even their best album from the 70's.

Kill 'Em All is great but either RTL or MOP are better to me.

Fifth Angel's S/T is definitely their best.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:42 pm

Believer

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 2:54 pm

kmorg wrote:
Believer

Completely agree with you!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 3:10 pm

ultmetal wrote:
Totally disagree with Napalm Death
which one of theirs did you prefer?

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 4:24 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

The s/t hold a special place with me, so I will always pick that one over SttG. That doesn't mean SttG is bad as I quite love that album, but more of the s/t sticks with me.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:09 pm

Stryper
Crashdiet
Reckless Love
Keel
Black N Blue
Queen
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Bad Company
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:24 pm

Good call with Bad Company. Desolation Angel came close but I still think their S/T is their best.

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:32 pm

brokentulsa wrote:

Queen

If it wasn't for A Night at the Opera, I'd have to agree with you.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:36 pm

Wurthless wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Queen

If it wasn't for A Night at the Opera, I'd have to agree with you.
Queen's S/T is my second favorite album from them. I like Queen II a tad better.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Aerosmith
Judas Priest
just kidding
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 6:40 pm

brokentulsa wrote:
Stryper
Crashdiet
Reckless Love
Keel
Black N Blue
Queen
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Bad Company

i think the second Reckless Love is just as bit as good as the first, although i can see where you would list the first one.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Quote :

DallasBlack wrote:
Some bands who I think had their first as their best:

Skid Row

Have to disagree - Slave To The Grind blows the S/T away!

Absolutely.

And I agree that King's X got much better after the debut.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Oh, and Lynch Mob which someone mentioned, the debut is definitely best.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 7:50 pm

Angelwitch
Vengeance Rising
Guns N' Roses
Exodus
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 7:53 pm

I see quite a few people saying Exodus, but as far as I'm concerned, they never surpased Fabulous Disaster. That being said, with my track record, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
adrian
Metal master
Metal master
adrian

Number of posts : 994

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 8:00 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
I see quite a few people saying Exodus, but as far as I'm concerned, they never surpased Fabulous Disaster. That being said, with my track record, I'm sure I'm in the minority on this Very Happy .
I agree fully. Would gladly take any of the Zetro albums over Bonded By Blood, despite it being a good album as well
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 8:09 pm

i am one who lost interest in Exodus after Bonded by Blood, until they released Shovel headed Kill Machine.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 9:59 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
The s/t hold a special place with me...
I think that's what a lot of these choices come down to. It's not about what's truly better, but what means more to you, the listener. And usually that's your first experience with the band, which is probably more often than not their debut.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 10:19 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Good call with Bad Company. Desolation Angel came close but I still think their S/T is their best.

All the albums with Rodger's are top shelf.....they had quite a run with 6 great lps and I always wondered why they never did the 70's live lp trend that was so popular. I think the S/T is the best, but I like Straight Shooter Shooter almost as much.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat May 19, 2012 10:19 pm

adrian wrote:
Would gladly take any of the Zetro albums over Bonded By Blood, despite it being a good album as well

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:05 pm

Quote :
All the albums with Rodger's are top shelf.....they had quite a run with 6 great lps and I always wondered why they never did the 70's live lp trend that was so popular. I think the S/T is the best, but I like Straight Shooter Shooter almost as much.

Is their bad blood there? I wonder why they never did the reunion like everyone else these days?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 1:13 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Quote :

Is their bad blood there? I wonder why they never did the reunion like everyone else these days?

Boz Burrell passed away in 2006 so a full reunion wouldn't be possible.

I would have agree with their debut album being their best, but also I'm of the opinion that the best Bad Company album doesn't hold a candle to FREE.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 4:25 pm

S.D. wrote:

I would have agree with their debut album being their best, but also I'm of the opinion that the best Bad Company album doesn't hold a candle to FREE.

yeah, Fraser/Rodgers had a writing vibe that Ralphs/Rodgers lacked. Not all the Free albums are as good as some of the Bad Co. albums. IMHO Kossoff was a WAY better player than Raplhs but the latter was more proficient at songcraft. My opinion of course. Heroin sucks

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 5:25 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
adrian wrote:
Would gladly take any of the Zetro albums over Bonded By Blood, despite it being a good album as well

Same here.

Me as well.

As far as Napalm Death, I think they've released many great albums and have expanded their sound, while the debut was sort of a speed-for-speed-sake one trick pony. It was an important album in the history of heavy metal, not unlike Metallica's Kill 'Em All. However, much like Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, I think Napalm Death have released many great records. Inside the Torn Apart is actually the album that got me back into Napalm Death again. It's a kick-ass record that I prefer over Scum.

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands whose first album was their best.
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next