Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bands whose first album was their best.

Go down 
+41
Thrasher73
ShadowAngel
Sutekh
allthingsmetal
metalinmyveins
James B.
Eyesore
nevermore
exact33
brokentulsa
stormspell
Gilbert
rawr!
Andy
stepcousin
Wurthless
jettafiend
DallasBlack
bassman
mc666
Leatherface
Witchfinder
Temple of Blood
scottmitchell74
Chairman_Smith
adrian
Troublezone
tohostudios
metalhead777
A Handful of Wayne
Rex
ultmetal
BearOnUnicycle
Lari
krokus
kmorg
manny
Fat Freddy
tul
thejokeriv
Dark Horseman
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 7:34 pm

Even though I'm a fan of all their stuff, I think Death Angel's first album is probably their best.
Back to top Go down
allthingsmetal
Metal student
Metal student
allthingsmetal

Number of posts : 231

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:26 pm

I gree with:

Living Sacrifice
Believer
Fifth Angel
Helloween

Haven't seen mentioned:

Warrior
Brutality
Terrorizer ( I know there were many years between releases)
Malevolent Creation
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:43 pm

Definitely agree with Living Sacrifice.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:56 pm

Wurthless wrote:
brokentulsa wrote:

Queen

If it wasn't for A Night at the Opera, I'd have to agree with you.

I'd put ANATO and Queen II ahead of their S/T. I think their songwriting developed hugely between these two, leaving the S/T in the shade.

I'll also add Veni Domine to the list. Their first album was a perfect blend of classic metal with doomy touches and epic song structures. Nothing since has measured up to that for me.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:28 pm

ultmetal wrote:

As far as Napalm Death, I think they've released many great albums and have expanded their sound, while the debut was sort of a speed-for-speed-sake one trick pony. It was an important album in the history of heavy metal, not unlike Metallica's Kill 'Em All. However, much like Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, I think Napalm Death have released many great records. Inside the Torn Apart is actually the album that got me back into Napalm Death again. It's a kick-ass record that I prefer over Scum.
personal choice i guess.

to me however, everything after the first two is run of the mill death metal that everyone was playing with at that time. the particular period that you mentioned, they were further experimenting with their sound to make it more commercial. well done & good songs, but nothing unique. those first two albums championed something fresh & untouched. they created a genre & helped inspire the many styles within it. i'm glad you acknowledge it's (their) importance.

there was never a bad ND album though...

ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:42 pm

mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

As far as Napalm Death, I think they've released many great albums and have expanded their sound, while the debut was sort of a speed-for-speed-sake one trick pony. It was an important album in the history of heavy metal, not unlike Metallica's Kill 'Em All. However, much like Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, I think Napalm Death have released many great records. Inside the Torn Apart is actually the album that got me back into Napalm Death again. It's a kick-ass record that I prefer over Scum.
personal choice i guess.

to me however, everything after the first two is run of the mill death metal that everyone was playing with at that time. the particular period that you mentioned, they were further experimenting with their sound to make it more commercial. well done & good songs, but nothing unique. those first two albums championed something fresh & untouched. they created a genre & helped inspire the many styles within it. i'm glad you acknowledge it's (their) importance.

I guess I prefer the more 'commercial' sound, though no ND is really all that commercial.

Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 11:01 pm

ultmetal wrote:
mc666 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

personal choice i guess.

I guess I prefer the more 'commercial' sound, though no ND is really all that commercial.
yeah that's a credit to them.. they always retain that death/grind sound.

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:48 am

Queen had an amazing run of albums in the 70s, not a truly bad album until Hot Space, so I'm a bit surprised to see people voting for the debut as their best.

I would put Sheer Heart Attack, Night At The Opera, Day At The Races and News Of The World ahead of the s/t.

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 7:52 am

S.D. wrote:
Queen had an amazing run of albums in the 70s, not a truly bad album until Hot Space, so I'm a bit surprised to see people voting for the debut as their best.

I would put Sheer Heart Attack, Night At The Opera, Day At The Races and News Of The World ahead of the s/t.

Agree! I would even put The Game ahead of the debut!
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 8:44 am

Wildside - Under the Influence is awesome, that grungy s/t follow-up is horrible
Ugly Kid Joe - America's Least Wanted is their best
Crashdiet - Rest in Sleaze, altough i wonder how their second album would've sound had the singer not commited suicide
Benedictum - Somehow they get weaker with every new album
Def Leppard - I think On through the Night is their best album
Spread Eagle - good debut, mediocre follow up
Nile - Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka was never topped, though In their darkened Shrines came really close.
Asia - Ever album after the debut was pretty mediocre
Hanoi Rocks - Even though the remake of Don't you ever leave me is miles better, i think the debut is their best album

From what i saw, i agree with all who named Dio and Cynic and disagree about Queen
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:20 am

I agree with Spread Eagle,GNR,Annihilator,Living Sacrifice,Boston.

I disagree with Exodus( I prefer the Zetro era),Forbidden(Twisted Into Form is as good as Forbidden Evil)
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 9:30 am

S.D. wrote:

I for the most part agree,except with 'Day at the Races' great album but IMO the debut trumps that disc
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 12:56 pm

I would pick Def Leppard's High N Dry. OTTN was good but the songwriting was better on HnD.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:23 pm

Guardian

Holy Soldier

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:43 pm

kmorg wrote:
Guardian

Holy Soldier

No and yes - I thought Fire & Love was Guardian's best album. Totally agree on Holy Soldier
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 2:52 pm

Did anybody mention Bang Tango yet? If not, now I did.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 5:23 pm

Rex wrote:
Guns n' Roses

+1
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 5:26 pm

I would add Fastway to this list. Loved the first one!! All Fired Up and the Trick Or Treat soundtrack are good albums but nowhere near the greatness of their first.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 6:01 pm

nevermore wrote:
I would add Fastway to this list. Loved the first one!! All Fired Up and the Trick Or Treat soundtrack are good albums but nowhere near the greatness of their first.

x2

Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 8:13 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
kmorg wrote:
Guardian

Holy Soldier

No and yes - I thought Fire & Love was Guardian's best album. Totally agree on Holy Soldier

Also a no and yes for me, though I think Guardian's best was Miracle Mile.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Yeah, I agree with that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 8:25 pm

S.D. wrote:
nevermore wrote:

x2

X3
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 10:46 pm

I totally agree with Ugly Kid Joe, and Holy Soldier. Danger Danger... Not so much, Screw It was such a stronger album. IMHO, Guardian really found their sound with Fire & Love.

On that note, Winger nailed it with their first album. Reb Beach absolutely nailed the riffs on songs like Madeline and 17.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 12:07 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
S.D. wrote:
nevermore wrote:

x2

X3

x4
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 12:26 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Yeah, I agree with that.

I dunno. I tend to spin Dancin on Coals more than their debut. Probably just personal choice though. That album might have been my intro to the band.

PostSubject: Re: Bands whose first album was their best.    Bands whose first album was their best.  - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bands whose first album was their best.
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next