Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?

Go down 
+32
kmorg
TheGreatDuck
speed101
stormspell
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
powermacho
Jesusandmetal23
nevermore
Psychotron
manny
DallasBlack
Gilbert
BearOnUnicycle
stpatrik
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
Sutekh
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
dirtracin1
Andy
James B.
thejokeriv
Wurthless
Lari
chewie
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Hadley
36 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Empty
PostSubject: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:54 pm

Does anyone know whats the best Savatage album for a newbie? (I do own Dead Winter Dead, but that was just to use up a gift card, and its probably not a good first album) I like what ive heard from "Streets", is that a good jumping on point?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 4:56 pm

Hall Of The Mountain King

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:08 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

I do believe that one was my intro to the band as well. And probably the one that gets the mosts spins to this day.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:09 pm

Hall of the Mountain King is their crowning achievement. Start there and go backwards.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 5:31 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

What he said.

I bought Hall and Sirens at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6319

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:31 pm

You could try Gutter Ballet. Balancing between the harder 80's sound and the later era 'rock opera' style 'Tage.

Hall of the Mountain King is a great guitar album.

And if you really like Dead Winter Dead, you could consider going for Wake of Magellan too, next. It's my personal favourite.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5065

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:37 pm

Well, I started off with Edge of Thorns (my personal favorite), but you can't go wrong with Hall of the Mountain King, Gutter Ballet, or Sirens.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:47 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

This
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12590

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 6:53 pm

I dig em all

For something a bit different....."Handfull Of Rain"

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 328

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Hall of the Mountain King for sure. Power of the Night and Sirens rock too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Andy618
dirtracin1
Metal student
Metal student
dirtracin1

Number of posts : 140

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Definitely Hall Of The Mountain King
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Hall Of The Mountain King is a good starter disc.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 7:27 pm

Add me to the Hall Of The Mountain King group. Fantastic album !
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Yep Hall for me too

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Lari wrote:
You could try Gutter Ballet. Balancing between the harder 80's sound and the later era 'rock opera' style 'Tage.

And if you really like Dead Winter Dead, you could consider going for Wake of Magellan too, next. It's my personal favourite.
Gutter Ballet was my first intro to Savatage. The title track just blew me away.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 8:11 pm

Lari wrote:

Good recommendation, though i think the overall songwriting on Hall gives it the edge of Gutter.... just.

I'm also a huge fan of Edge of Thorns.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:27 pm

I started with The Dungeons Are Calling (followed by Sirens shorty afterward), the last album I purchased was Edge Of Thorns - the one-two punch of Zak taking over on vocals and then Criss passing away was more than I could take.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37614

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 9:51 pm

My intro to the band was Power of the Night so that's a sentimental fave.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28392

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
stpatrik
Metal student
Metal student
stpatrik

Number of posts : 145

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeTue May 01, 2012 10:31 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

This

The only problem is, it can only go downhill from there, no matter how many other great Savatage works there is.

Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 2:41 am

Gutter Ballet. As Lari said, perfectly balanced between their metal roots and more operatic later stuff.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9872

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 6:22 am

Hall of the Mountain King, followed by Sirens
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 7:55 am

All are good to me but my absolute favorite is Edge Of Thorns.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 8:36 am

Edge Of Thorns is my favorite Zak fronted album.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 8:43 am

"Hall of the Mountain King' or 'Gutter Ballet' both excellent albums IMO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next