Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?

Go down 
+32
kmorg
TheGreatDuck
speed101
stormspell
ShadowAngel
jettafiend
powermacho
Jesusandmetal23
nevermore
Psychotron
manny
DallasBlack
Gilbert
BearOnUnicycle
stpatrik
Required Fields
Fat Freddy
Sutekh
tohostudios
A Handful of Wayne
dirtracin1
Andy
James B.
thejokeriv
Wurthless
Lari
chewie
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
Hadley
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Psychotron
Metal student
Metal student
Psychotron

Number of posts : 167

Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 4:28 pm

Gotta go with "Edge of Thorns" Criss Oliva goes out on top with an awesome album and Zak Stevens' singing is wonderful.

Other than that go with "Hall of the Mountain King."
Back to top Go down
http://nicksmetal.blogspot.com
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 2:02 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Hall Of The Mountain King

You'll be hooked after hearing this.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Mountain King all the way. Then go with Gutter Ballet. Once you get into em, give Streets a spin.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 03, 2012 11:32 pm

Jesusandmetal23 wrote:
Mountain King all the way. Then go with Gutter Ballet. Once you get into em, give Streets a spin.

My three favorite Jon albums in reverse order! headbanger

A lot of people give Streets a lot of flack, but Criss' guitar work is so passionate on that album. I can replay every song note for note (including the guitar solos) in my head on that album (and on many more Savatage albums).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1773

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:22 am

i started mu edge of thorns, power of the night is another great album to start off. Start off with 3 albums
power of the night
hall of the king
edge of thorns
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

Number of posts : 1137

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 10:44 am

My intro to the band was Handful of Rain followed by Edge of Thorns. I am one of those blasphemous folks that prefers Zak Stevens vocal style to Jon's singing. Gutter Ballet is pretty good, I also happen to like Dead Winter Dead quite a bit.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 7:52 pm

jettafiend wrote:
My intro to the band was Handful of Rain followed by Edge of Thorns. I am one of those blasphemous folks that prefers Zak Stevens vocal style to Jon's singing. Gutter Ballet is pretty good, I also happen to like Dead Winter Dead quite a bit.

You're not alone fellow blasphemer! Zak is my favorite vocalist. I really like Jon though, just not as much. What do you think of Circle II Circle?
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 9:08 pm

Gutter Ballet as it has the perfect mix of the old and the later Savatage, it was the album i still like the most, it was the album that even introduced my mother to Savatage and later she liked most other albums. It has the ballads, the instrumentals (temptation revelations kicks ass) and the more aggressive sonds (of rage and war)
Otherwise Hall of the Mountain King is awesome too with Strange Wings, White Witch and Hall of the Mountain King but Gutter Ballet is a lot more diverse
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 11:20 pm

ShadowAngel wrote:
Gutter Ballet as it has the perfect mix of the old and the later Savatage, it was the album i still like the most, it was the album that even introduced my mother to Savatage and later she liked most other albums. It has the ballads, the instrumentals (temptation revelations kicks ass) and the more aggressive sonds (of rage and war)
Otherwise Hall of the Mountain King is awesome too with Strange Wings, White Witch and Hall of the Mountain King but Gutter Ballet is a lot more diverse

Gutter Ballet is a great album and still probably the Savatage album I revisit the most frequently. It had elements they would explore further with Streets, but here they still SOUND like Savatage and not "The Paul O'Neill Experience" like they ended up becoming.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 04, 2012 11:58 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

You're not alone fellow blasphemer! Zak is my favorite vocalist. I really like Jon though, just not as much. What do you think of Circle II Circle?

I have very limited experience with Circle II Circle, but I like what I have heard quite a bit. Basically what I have been able to find on youtube or spotify. I am a big fan of the traditional blended with prog overtones style of metal.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 1:00 am

jettafiend wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I have very limited experience with Circle II Circle, but I like what I have heard quite a bit. Basically what I have been able to find on youtube or spotify. I am a big fan of the traditional blended with prog overtones style of metal.

I highly recommend Watching In Silence, Burden Of Truth, and Consequence Of Power. A MUST have for any Zak fan IMO. The other two are good, but those 3 are the strongest.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 2:28 am

DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

I highly recommend Watching In Silence, Burden Of Truth, and Consequence Of Power. A MUST have for any Zak fan IMO. The other two are good, but those 3 are the strongest.

On it, thanks for the heads up. Circle II Circle is not a band that would have been on the front edge of my search. Now it is.
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 3:35 am

Sirens, Dungeons Are Calling, and Hall of the Mountain King are the ones I return to. I also own Gutter Ballet and Streets, but haven't had the urge to listen to them in ages...
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9878

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 5:13 am

Gutter Ballet is really good.

I did not however enjoy poets and madmen.
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 1:03 pm

Hall Of The Mountain King and anything before that except that crappy 1986 cd they did.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 1:17 pm

Fight for the Rock isn't crap!
Back to top Go down
speed101
Metal master
Metal master
speed101

Number of posts : 516

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 4:33 pm

Well not the entire cd.I guess i should of said some of it is crap.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 05, 2012 4:35 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Fight for the Rock isn't crap!

It's at least 50% pure crap. The other 50% is pure greatness though.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 4:20 am

Like Hyde, The Edge Of Midnight, and Red Light Paradise.
Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 7:01 am

side note - A Handful of Rain featured Alex Skolnick (sp?) of Testament fame on guitar. Hearing him play a completely different style of metal is really cool, and he does it very well. Not so many leads on this album but a ton of riffage and some nice choice licks. The playing on this album made me take a second look at testament.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 1:54 pm

The main problem with Fight For The Rock is it's utterly boring, even the "good" songs like Hyde sound like they are sleep-walking in comparison to Power Of The Night. It's really only worthwhile for completists.

Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 2:08 pm

jettafiend wrote:
side note - A Handful of Rain featured Alex Skolnick (sp?) of Testament fame on guitar. Hearing him play a completely different style of metal is really cool, and he does it very well. Not so many leads on this album but a ton of riffage and some nice choice licks. The playing on this album made me take a second look at testament.

From what I have learned, Alex played very little on the album, save for some solos. Jon Oliva did most of the guitar work himself!

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 4:21 pm

S.D. wrote:
The main problem with Fight For The Rock is it's utterly boring, even the "good" songs like Hyde sound like they are sleep-walking in comparison to Power Of The Night. It's really only worthwhile for completists.

That's what happens when the record label forces you to release an album that you wrote for another band under the name Savatage. They could only do so much to save it. Power of the Night does smash FFTR into smithereens for sure.

The last Savatage album I consider worth listening to is Gutter Ballet. I have ZERO interest in them as a pomp band like on Streets or the Zak Stevens albums. I am still baffled as to why they changed directions so drastically. Doctor Butcher is better than anything Savatage did post HOTMK. That album crushes.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

The last Savatage album I consider worth listening to is Gutter Ballet. I have ZERO interest in them as a pomp band like on Streets or the Zak Stevens albums. I am still baffled as to why they changed directions so drastically. Doctor Butcher is better than anything Savatage did post HOTMK. That album crushes.

I feel the same way, the last Savatage album I thoroughly enjoyed was Gutter Ballet. Paul O'Neill just became too involved after that and it ceased to be Savatage.

Back to top Go down
jettafiend
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
jettafiend

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 06, 2012 6:14 pm

kmorg wrote:
jettafiend wrote:

From what I have learned, Alex played very little on the album, save for some solos. Jon Oliva did most of the guitar work himself!

Bummer!! Oh well. Still a solid album from start to finish.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?   Whats the best Savatage album to start off with? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Whats the best Savatage album to start off with?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: