Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Motorhead album to start with?

Go down 
+7
Fat Freddy
Lari
Witchfinder
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
James B.
Hadley
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 991

Best Motorhead album to start with? Empty
PostSubject: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 21, 2020 11:46 pm

Though I've heard most of the classic Motorhead songs, I dont own a single album. That's got to change. What's the best album to start with? I've heard No Remorse recommended by several fans as the best "jumping on" point, is that a good one to start off with?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 12:06 am

Start at the beginning and work your way through release by release. Have fun with it and take your time.

mc666 and metalinmyveins like this post

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 12:50 am

Hadley wrote:
Though I've heard most of the classic Motorhead songs, I dont own a single album. That's got to change. What's the best album to start with? I've heard No Remorse recommended by several fans as the best "jumping on" point, is that a good one to start off with?
If you've heard all the classics, then no need to really get No Remorse, though it is a great compilation album. I'd do what James said and start with their first one and go from there. My single most favorite album so far that I own is Ace of Spades, followed closely by Rock N Roll.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9876

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 1:32 am

I started with Death Or Glory. Excellent album.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7611

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 9:00 am

You can't really go wrong with any album, but you may want to get a compilation like No Remorse or Best of Motorhead for a good sampling.

If you want a full album I'd start with Overkill. It's their second album and it's where they really hit their stride with their classic lineup.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6330

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 9:28 am

Don't get a compilation. Those are dull. Just get a full album experience, and it almost don't matter which one. Pick one with the coolest cover, and display it proudly on your shelf.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 9:49 am

Witchfinder wrote:
You can't really go wrong with any album, but you may want to get a compilation like No Remorse or Best of Motorhead for a good sampling.

If you want a full album I'd start with Overkill. It's their second album and it's where they really hit their stride with their classic lineup.

Great recommendation headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37636

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 11:58 am

Years back I owned a handful of Motorhead cassettes (No Remorse was my starting point) but for whatever reason I dragged my feet when it came to upgrading them to CD.

The album that got me back into them big time was Inferno from 2004. From there I started collecting any and all Motorhead on CD that I could get my hands on. It took me a while but I finally completed their studio discography last year!

Anyway, aside from Inferno, obviously the biggie would be Ace of Spades, of course, but I'm also fond of Overkill, Snake Bite Love, and Rock N Roll.

When it comes down to it though, honestly all Head is good Head. Very Happy

...in fact, now that you got me thinking about Inferno, I'm gonna put that one on next! Very Happy

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25827

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 8:37 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

I agree with WF.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 10:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
...in fact, now that you got me thinking about Inferno, I'm gonna put that one on next! Very Happy

Haha, thanks to this thread I was listening to all Motorhead at work today. Good thing our tractors are governed, otherwise I probably would have gotten a speeding ticket today! \'arry \'eadbanger

Fat Freddy likes this post

Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 22, 2020 11:16 pm

All of them are good albums. The early stuff is essential, but I especially like the later albums Mickey played on.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 5:51 am

As much as i love this band, Overkill was the last studio album i picked up, simply because i already had most of the songs on various compilations.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3167

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 10:10 pm

I remember buying “ No Sleep till Hammersmith “ - in 1981.
Bought it for its cover photo. I hoped it’d be metal. Ha ha. It was.
Then a few months later bought Ace of Spades. The rest is history !
Love Lemmy’s lyrics. The guitar crunch. The sheer volume of it all.
R.I.P - to all 3 original members - and Weezel 🎄😇🎄
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 10:27 pm

Glower wrote:
I remember buying “ No Sleep till Hammersmith “ - in 1981
It was that, and No Remorse that got me started on Motorhead. Can't remember which came first, but I loved them both, and wore them out. I still have No Sleep on tape, no clue where my No Remorse tape went. I'd like to get that on CD one of these days, even though I pretty much have all the songs from the albums now. Still a great addition for the collection.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 11:26 pm

Heh, just ordered No Remorse, Iron Fist (which I thought I had already), Bastards, and On Parole. Still need a few more newer ones and I'll have them all. Might work on the live albums one day, but I have a few already.

Last edited by Wrecked Neck on Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 24, 2020 1:21 am

Seeing them open for the Blizzard of Ozz in 81 w/ the bomber stage was an awesome gig. I kind of lost interest after Fast Eddie split, but have periodically jumped back in and out over the years.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2020 4:12 pm

I would say start with the classic ACE OF SPADES...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Motorhead album to start with?   Best Motorhead album to start with? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Motorhead album to start with?
Page 1 of 1