Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...

Go down 
+19
MetalRob331
Eyesore
DallasBlack
corplhicks
chewie
exact33
thejokeriv
manny
SpectreFate
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Metallic Blaze
mr.electric39
Wayne
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
James B.
Temple of Blood
Metal Misfit
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I still prefer Flying Colors.

MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:14 pm

exact33 wrote:

I sampled a little bit of that one, but never pulled the trigger. Any good? I don't know that the :30 snippets on Amazon do it justice.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

I sampled a little bit of that one, but never pulled the trigger. Any good? I don't know that the :30 snippets on Amazon do it justice.

i love it. Its more hard rockish than proggy but i enjoy it over and over again. The only dud on the album is Should Coulda Woulda.

Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:45 pm

I think The Winery Dogs are sounding really good so far, personally...then again, I liked Mr. Big & Kotzen already.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:51 pm

exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

i love it. Its more hard rockish than proggy but i enjoy it over and over again. The only dud on the album is Should Coulda Woulda.

That's not bad. I'll have to keep an eye out for them.

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:59 pm

I listened to that Flying Colors album once but it wasn't really what I was looking for considering the lineup of musicians. It was a little too much middle-of-the-road rock and not nearly enough progressive elements. At least for my tastes.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 4:32 pm

this is one where SD and I disagree - I love this album. the melodies are fantastic!

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 5:42 pm

exact33 wrote:
this is one where SD and I disagree - I love this album. the melodies are fantastic!
Yeah, the Flying Colors album is excellent. It is definitely not as proggy as one might expect, though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 5:53 pm

Just watched the first Winery Dogs video. Does Soundgarden need a new vocalist? Not sure I've ever heard Kotzen sing before, but here he sounds so much like Chris Cornell. Damn.

Solid song, too.

And I'll be honest here: I'm glad Portnoy is no longer in Dream Theater. Since his departure/ousting, he's been involved with so many great projects. He might have done a few had he remained in the band, but I don't he'd have done all of them.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:58 pm

Now that you mention it, it does have some reflection of Cornell.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 5:12 pm

exact33 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
exact33 wrote:

That song IMO is the best track on the album especially the outro drum solo by Mike.. Killer guitar Riff as well...
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 6:22 pm

New Winery Dogs video.

Solid tune, like the other. Nothing mindblowing, but I'm pretty sure I'll be buying it.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 9:28 am

The Winery Dogs band is sounding killer so far...I prefer this to Flying Colors...

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:21 am

Flying Colors is good but too white. fainting I'm really digging the Winery Dogs songs so far.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 8:33 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Flying Colors is good but too white. fainting I'm really digging the Winery Dogs songs so far.

dare i ask how the music sounds 'too white'??

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:37 pm

I was using a color analogy. Probably and epic fail.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:48 pm

The term "too white" is used to describe a stiff rhythm section with no natural groove or swing. Originally came into use to describe white musicians playing blues or jazz and lacking the required feel for the material.

Think of Metallica trying to play bluesy type stuff....WAY too damn white! Razz
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I was using a color analogy. Probably and epic fail.
I was like, "Well, now his username makes sense. Racist prick!" Haha.

just kidding
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 11:19 am

Listening to this and really enjoying the classic vibe. Many have compared the vocals to Cornell which is sort of there but I am reminded of Foghat in both the vocals and playing. Maybe they'll replace BCC as the poster boys of throwback classic rock.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 11:21 am

The Winery Dogs is my AOTY contender...brilliant stuff!

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 11:27 am

Wow, big praise but knowing your tastes I can understand. This sounds like a real band unlike say an Adrenaline Mob which is hard to describe and of course only my opinion.
Back to top Go down
bass63
Metal master
Metal master
bass63

Number of posts : 882

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 11:33 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The Winery Dogs is my AOTY contender...brilliant stuff!

Thats what I'm thinking! Love love this album. This is right up my alley musically.     headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 12:30 pm

Watched a couple of the music videos, just not my thing. The songs I heard have a definite 80s/90s vibe, I wouldn't call them a throwback to the Foghat era.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 12:56 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
Wow, big praise but knowing your tastes I can understand. This sounds like a real band unlike say an Adrenaline Mob which is hard to describe and of course only my opinion.
Adrenaline Mob sounds like a real band to me; they're just probably too modern-sounding for most of you.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2013 1:14 pm

I don't think TWD's vibe is specifically 80s/90s...much more timeless/classic IMO...could have come out in any decade. It's very melodic, it's soulful, it showcases each individual member's own strengths without showboating, and the songs are hooky as hell.

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next