Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...

Go down 
+19
MetalRob331
Eyesore
DallasBlack
corplhicks
chewie
exact33
thejokeriv
manny
SpectreFate
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Metallic Blaze
mr.electric39
Wayne
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
James B.
Temple of Blood
Metal Misfit
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:58 am

OK it can be known that finally Ritchie Kotzen has finally created his dream line up to re-record the album he created with Poison 'Native Tongue' as a rock opera. More details to follow
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm

manny wrote:
OK it can be known that finally Ritchie Kotzen has finally created his dream line up to re-record the album he created with Poison 'Native Tongue' as a rock opera. More details to follow

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12766

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:35 pm

From Sykes to Kotzen

Thats like a wanting to vacation on a castle tour of Ireland and the U.K and ending up on coalmine and shack tour in West Virginia don\'t know

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 647664
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 am

James B. wrote:
From Sykes to Kotzen

Thats like a wanting to vacation on a castle tour of Ireland and the U.K and ending up on coalmine and shack tour in West Virginia don\'t know

I would put down money that, on a sheer technical abilities level, Kotzen would smoke Sykes.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 6:28 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
James B. wrote:
From Sykes to Kotzen

I would put down money that, on a sheer technical abilities level, Kotzen would smoke Sykes.

There are homeless guys in California who have killer technical abilities but cannot write a song for the life of them. Laughing very hard Most folks listen to music for song quality and not the technical proficiency. There are instances where that doesn't apply as with most everything.

I have a few Kotzen albums he did on Shrapnel and one of the albums he did with Howe. The bands he was in where he had to function with a vocalist, Poison and Mr. Big were average at best. (IMHDO)

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 6:50 am

I'm in agreement with James on this one. Kotzen can play, without a doubt, but the stuff I've heard from him doesn't do a thing for me. If I want a shredder that can also write memorable tunes, I'll take Paul Gilbert.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 7:14 am

Calling Bret Michaels a vocalist is a bit of a stretch!!

Ritchie Kotzen is an excellent guitarist and his later solo albums have showed a tremendous amount of growth as a musician, no longer so self indulgent
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 7:58 am

Quote :
Ritchie Kotzen is an excellent guitarist

Never refuted his playing ability

I just don't dig on his lack of originality. He can probably emulate just about anybody who ever picked up a guitar to an extent and in most cases excel. I just think he lacks in areas that have kept him at the same level of stardom. success, influence and notoriety that he first had since Varney tossed him the studio in 1989.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 8:09 am

His own solo material post-Shrapnel is very, very song oriented and not focused at all on guitar flash. Most of it is not really heavy or even hard rock...just soulful rock. He's actually a very good songwriter and a strong vocalist. He has a very smoky, soulful vocal tone and delivery.

I do love Sykes.

They're just very different players, so whatever Sheehan and Portnoy were going to do w/ Sykes most likely has zero to do musically with what they made w/ Kotzen.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 am

I guess I need to catch up.

I have (post Shrapnel) the Mother Head's Family Reunion, Tilt (w/ G. Howe), Bi-Polar Blues, one of the Mr. Big albums he did and I think something more recent from a year or two back that is live in concert.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 8:30 am

James B. wrote:
I guess I need to catch up.

I have (post Shrapnel) the Mother Head's Family Reunion, Tilt (w/ G. Howe), Bi-Polar Blues, one of the Mr. Big albums he did and I think something more recent from a year or two back that is live in concert.

His solo, "Richie Kotzen", post-Shrapnel albums all have a Motown kind of vibe, just played by a Rock band w/ Strat-styled solos, etc. Nothing overtly flashy. They don't sound like anything you already have.

The last album of his I have is "Into The Black", which is kind of a dark record...at times, his vocals remind me of Chris Cornell on that one.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 8:37 am

Thanks Shawn

I still think my joke was funny

Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 26, 2013 8:52 am

I can see James sitting and cackling while he types thinking, this will piss someone off.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 6:48 am

New music from The Winery Dogs...'Elevate'

Album comes out May 15th in Japan. No US date at this time.

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Winerydogsdebutcd

01. Elevate
02. Desire
03. We Are One
04. I'm No Angel
05. The Other Side
06. You Saved Me
07. Not Hopeless
08. One More Time
09. Damaged
10. Six Feet Deeper
11. Criminal
12. The Dying
13. Regret

DVD (limited edition):

01. Elevate
02. Desire
03. I'm No Angel

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 8:00 am

that was pretty meh to be honest.

Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:11 am

I like it, very 70's.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:27 am

I like it..... very blues oriented.... catchy chorus.

That's gotta be the smallest kit I have ever seen Portnoy play.

I didn't know that Kotzen used the Jeff Beck / Mark Knopfler picking style.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 9:34 am

I love it, really surprised. Nice blues fusion and heavy as well. Helluva lot better than Mob Adrenaline...

EDIT: I mean Adrenaline Mob. Disliked the band so much I got their name wrong...
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 10:25 am

exact33 wrote:

That's what I thought as well
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:32 am

corplhicks wrote:
I love it, really surprised. Nice blues fusion and heavy as well. Helluva lot better than Mob Adrenaline...

EDIT: I mean Adrenaline Mob. Disliked the band so much I got their name wrong...

That's OK, I like them enough for the both of us. Wink

(was going to use the razz emicon, but it's missing for some reason)
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 11:59 am

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I think the king's and my emicons replaced it TheKing tr00 for they are tr00. A-Mob is not tr00.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 12:02 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
exact33 wrote:

That's what I thought as well

I didn't think much of it either, but I'd probably be more inclined to listen to this moreso than Adreneline Mob. I prefer the bluesy/retro sound of WD over the modern rock stylings of AM.

The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 12:06 pm

corplhicks wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I think the king's and my emicons replaced it TheKing tr00 for they are tr00. A-Mob is not tr00.

TheKing TheKing TheKing TheKing TheKing

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 12:08 pm

corplhicks wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

Eh, I'm probably not tr00 either, if my music library is any indication.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next