Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Portnoy/A7X

Go down 
+4
Eyesore
mc666
Ben Grimm
manny
8 posters
AuthorMessage

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 5:41 pm

So, I heard Mike Portnoy is filling in for Avenge Sevenfold's deceased drummer. I am no DT fan, although I have immense respect for that band - and I have not been turned off by the A7X songs I have heard [remember, I have a 21 year old daughter!] - but this seems like a strange team-up to me.

Dollar signs, actual creative integrity, or just plain boredom for Mr. Portnoy?
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 5:42 pm

I think integrity, when the drummer to A7X guy died earlier this year, he did the gig as a favor to the band. It seems Portnoy is a fan.
Back to top Go down
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 5:55 pm

I read a statement somewhere and I don't recall all of it but I do remember that Portnoy respected Rev as a drummer and was a fan of Avenged so I think that is why. I think if it benefits anyone it will be Avenged Sevenfold who will have the Dream Theater fans jumping on and getting this album just based on Portnoy playing. I am not a big A7x fan but with him on drums I have to admit I have thought about getting the album myself.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 6:41 pm

UNCLE SAXON wrote:
So, I heard Mike Portnoy is filling in for Avenge Sevenfold's deceased drummer. I am no DT fan, although I have immense respect for that band - and I have not been turned off by the A7X songs I have heard [remember, I have a 21 year old daughter!] - but this seems like a strange team-up to me.

Dollar signs, actual creative integrity, or just plain boredom for Mr. Portnoy?
i don't think it was any of the 3. i think he just liked the band & was honored that they asked him to assist. he likes a lot of different styles of music.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Yeah, just doing a cool thing for a group of guys he liked.
Back to top Go down
dirtracin1
Metal student
Metal student
dirtracin1

Number of posts : 140

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 7:18 pm

I read an article somewhere saying that Portnoy was Rev's favorite drummer and that was one of the reasons he played on the album.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:55 am

Yes Mike was asked by the guys, because Mike was the Rev's favorite drummer. Mike stays pretty much true to all the drum parts, so the band says. Of course he adds some typical Portnoy cymbal work and fills. Great album as well.... Check out this progressive number from the guys....

Mike's style is all over this pretty progressive track...

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Even if Portnoy waived his fee to play on the album and did it out of the kindness of his heart (which is cool), I hope the business side of him is getting a piece of the action on sales/downloads of this album, which should probably do pretty well.

Doing favors for friends is nice, but business is still business.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 pm

MetalRob331 wrote:
Yes Mike was asked by the guys, because Mike was the Rev's favorite drummer. Mike stays pretty much true to all the drum parts, so the band says. Of course he adds some typical Portnoy cymbal work and fills. Great album as well.... Check out this progressive number from the guys....

Progressive, indeed.

It got progressively worse the longer I listened.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeTue Aug 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Eyesore wrote:
MetalRob331 wrote:

Progressive, indeed.

It got progressively worse the longer I listened.

Portnoy/A7X Lol
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9883

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 12:30 am

I could never get into Avenged Sevenfold. Although these guys gert very high reviews.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Portnoy/A7X Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy/A7X   Portnoy/A7X Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Portnoy/A7X
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: