Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...

Go down 
+19
MetalRob331
Eyesore
DallasBlack
corplhicks
chewie
exact33
thejokeriv
manny
SpectreFate
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Metallic Blaze
mr.electric39
Wayne
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
James B.
Temple of Blood
Metal Misfit
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 8:45 am

Portnoy is a very talented guy and I am surprised how many irons the guy has got in the fire

As far as Avenged Sevenfold, I believe he is a fan of the band, they lost their drummer and Portnoy filled as a favor. I don't see the big deal. He was available and wanted to do it, and when the tour ended, so did his time with the band.

I am fan of Kotzen, for some reason he reminds me of the late Tommy Bolin. They play nothing alike, but they both have this soulful quality in their singing and playing.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:28 pm

manny wrote:
Portnoy is a very talented guy and I am surprised how many irons the guy has got in the fire

As far as Avenged Sevenfold, I believe he is a fan of the band, they lost their drummer and Portnoy filled as a favor. I don't see the big deal. He was available and wanted to do it, and when the tour ended, so did his time with the band.

If I remember correctly The Rev was a Portnoy fan as well. THEY asked Portnoy to play Revs parts, not the other way around.

In a not so similar situation, \"thebandthatshallneverbementionedagain\" asked The Mighty Terry Bozzio to play on their 2007 album.

I like what I have heard from The Dogs, so far.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:30 pm

chewie wrote:
manny wrote:

If I remember correctly The Rev was a Portnoy fan as well. THEY asked Portnoy to play Revs parts, not the other way around.

That's what he meant when he said Portnoy did it as a favor....a favor to the band. He was already a fan too.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 12:36 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
chewie wrote:
manny wrote:

That's what he meant when he said Portnoy did it as a favor....a favor to the band. He was already a fan too.

I was just backing him up Smile

Believe me, I am no Portnoy hater. My drumkit is based on his Transatlantic (first album) kit.

Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 1:13 pm

chewie wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
chewie wrote:
manny wrote:

I was just backing him up Smile

Believe me, I am no Portnoy hater. My drumkit is based on his Transatlantic (first album) kit.

Nah, I didn't take it that way. Very Happy  I love Portnoy...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2013 3:38 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Start of rant: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 499945 

I have been guilty of it in the past, but as I get older I have a bit of an attitude towards people who seem to put down musicians for making a living. "He's doing that for the paycheck" or like above "Portnoy needs to pay his mortgage" or "He thought he struck gold w/ A7X".

Give me a break. The dude makes a living playing drums. If he wants to do something "for the money", f**k off and let him do it. Playing music is how he supports his family, pays his bills and lives his life, nimrod. Of course takes money for doing it.

Nobody looks at you and  throws a backhanded insult like "Pfft, you're only working 8 to 5 for the paycheck...poser!"...it's like, "No $h!t...that's how I make my living." If I could play in badass rock bands and make a living at it, I'd sure as hell do it too.

Music fans are irritating sometimes...

End of rant. Very Happy 
I approve of this rant.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 3:11 am

Eyesore wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Start of rant: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 499945 

I have been guilty of it in the past, but as I get older I have a bit of an attitude towards people who seem to put down musicians for making a living. "He's doing that for the paycheck" or like above "Portnoy needs to pay his mortgage" or "He thought he struck gold w/ A7X".

Give me a break. The dude makes a living playing drums. If he wants to do something "for the money", f**k off and let him do it. Playing music is how he supports his family, pays his bills and lives his life, nimrod. Of course takes money for doing it.

Nobody looks at you and  throws a backhanded insult like "Pfft, you're only working 8 to 5 for the paycheck...poser!"...it's like, "No $h!t...that's how I make my living." If I could play in badass rock bands and make a living at it, I'd sure as hell do it too.

Music fans are irritating sometimes...

End of rant. Very Happy 
I approve of this rant.

+1
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:53 am

Dark Horseman wrote:

I wonder have you never had an album grow on you until it's one of your favorites?

Yes, but I listen to music a lot differently today than I would of say 15 yrs go.. I used to spend all my money on cd's. After putting it in, I had no choice but to listen to all the tracks. My fav album to this day is Silverchair's Frogstomp... I used to hate TOMORROW when it first came out but the more I heard it the more it stuck...

As far as skimming tracks, I will agree that it's not a very good approach to music, but when I am trying to find new bands or new music, I want what I want. I don't want something to GROW on me, I want it to hit me like A TEN TON HAMMER!!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 10:54 am

That rant was EPIC BTW!!!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 12:22 pm

I hear what you say and i'm much more choosy now but I still have albums I listen to more to see if they grow on me, that's the good part of the net.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

Over the years I've found that the albums that have to "grow on me" are generally the most rewarding and the ones I listen to the longest.

Albums that "hit me over the head" tend to have short listening life spans, I'll play them a bunch for a couple months and then very seldom after that.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 12:33 pm

Yeah, i've had that.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2013 1:14 pm

S.D. wrote:
Over the years I've found that the albums that have to "grow on me" are generally the most rewarding and the ones I listen to the longest.  

Albums that "hit me over the head" tend to have short listening life spans, I'll play them a bunch for a couple months and then very seldom after that.

This is how it is with me as well.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2013 12:03 pm

This is another one, like Scorpion Child, that I need to spend a little more time with. It didn't quite grab me right away, but I think a few more spins are in order to digest it all.

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 11, 2013 3:25 am

This has become my favorite song off of this album!

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Bumping for Portnoy/Paul Gilbert/Beatles/Rush/Who/Zeppelin fans...

Mike Portnoy's website MP4 Productions is offering Mike's various live tribute albums for the low, rock-bottom price of just $7 each (plus s/h).

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=8

'Yellow Matter Custard' is a 2 disc tribute to the Beatles, featuring Paul Gilbert & Neal Morse. This is Part II. Part I is amazing and presumably out of print.

'Amazing Journey' is a 2 disc tribute to The Who, featuring Gary Cherone, Paul Gilbert and Billy Sheehan

Cygnus & The Sea Monsters is a single disc Rush tribute. Not 100% sure who plays on this, other than Mike and probably Paul Gilbert. Matt Bissonette maybe?

Hammer of the Gods is 2 discs of Zeppelin. Not sure of the line-up.

All of these are live albums. DVD's are available too. Fans of any of these guys or the bands they are playing tribute to, I highly recommend these. Get 'em now while they're in supply and cheap.

Holy CRAP!?!?! Is that Jason McMaster on vocals?

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 8:29 pm

Yes it is!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2016 11:12 pm

Um...WOW! This is freakin' cool.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 5:11 pm

I don't know where else to put this, so I'm bumping this old thread...

Mike Portnoy is back with Neal Morse and Randy George for another round of covers with Cov3r to Cov3er. Fans familiar with their first 2 albums should know what to expect here. 3 talented musicians cover some of their favorite tunes for fun.

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Morse_portnoy_george_cov3r_to_cov3r

Morse Portnoy George: Cov3r To Cov3r
1. No Opportunity Necessary, No Experience Needed (Yes)
2. Hymn 43 (Jethro Tull)
3. Life On Mars (David Bowie)
4. Baker Street (Gerry Rafferty)
5. It Don’t Come Easy (Ringo Starr)
6. Baby Blue (Badfinger)
7. One More Red Nightmare (King Crimson)
8. Black Coffee In Bed (Squeeze)
9. Tempted (Squeeze)
10. Runnin’ Down A Dream (Tom Petty)
11. Let Love Rule (Lenny Kravitz)

I don't have an exact release date, other than July. I've enjoyed the first 2 albums, so I imagine this one will be no different. I also read that there will be a special release of all 3 Cover to Cover albums released together in some sorta box set or something. Not sure of the details on that one yet.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri May 22, 2020 9:15 pm

I have the first one and like it a lot. Didn't know about the second one so on the list it goes (along with this one).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue May 26, 2020 5:28 pm

I don't have any of the cover albums, so I'm going to grab the 3-disc version.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu May 28, 2020 10:26 am

Here's some updated info on this release...

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/neal-morse-mike-portnoy-and-randy-george-cover-baker-street-video/

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5