Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...

Go down 
+19
MetalRob331
Eyesore
DallasBlack
corplhicks
chewie
exact33
thejokeriv
manny
SpectreFate
Dark Horseman
Troublezone
Metallic Blaze
mr.electric39
Wayne
MetalGuy71
Shawn Of Fire
James B.
Temple of Blood
Metal Misfit
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Empty
PostSubject: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:25 pm

Adrenaline Mob, that Morse project, now a "power trio" with John Sykes and a bassist TBA...

From Eddie Trunk's Twitter:

Quote :
Wow check out this shot. http://t.co/s3aTd1O

News just broke on the set of TMS! New power trio! John Sykes. @MikePortnoy and a bassist TBA. Awesome!!

Its on!! I knew about this but needed to wait till we tapes to reveal! They will do some Blue Murder also & recording http://t.co/Bz79fAN

Name of the new Sykes Portnoy band TBA. Bassist TBA. I heard demos. Sounds like killer Blue Murder meets '87 Whitesnake. Amazing!

Busy guy. Is he trying to fill a void in his life?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:28 pm

Last time I checked Ty Tabor was doing solo albums, King's X, Jelly Jam and a variety of other projects.

Quality musicians SHOULD be that busy, Portnoy is no exception. Good for him.

Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 10:29 pm

If it's like Whitesnake/Blue Murder, I'm all for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 11:44 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

I'd be happier if it sounded like Thunder & Lightning. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5702

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 7:30 am

Sykes rules. This could be cool.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 7:40 am

my guess as to whom the TBA bass player is....Tony Franklin

This sounds interesting from a muxical perspective.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 8:18 am

Portnoy has always done this....even in Dream Theater. This way, he stays as busy as he wants without having a "main" band to have to report to. He's a free agent. Besides, Adrenaline Mob is cool, but Allen has Symphony X to report to so it's still in in-between thing for him.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 11:01 am

Hmmmm, having Sykes on board sounds a little more promising than that other project. I like Portnoy, but after hearing some clips, I just can't get excited over the Adreneline Mob stuff.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:16 pm

S.D. wrote:
Metal Misfit wrote:

I'd be happier if it sounded like Thunder & Lightning. Very Happy

Yeah, that'd be awesome.
Back to top Go down
Wayne
Metal student
Metal student
Wayne

Number of posts : 169

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2011 10:34 am

Didn't mike portnoy want dream theater to slow down a bit and take some time out which leaded to his exit from the band?

He's always been a busy man and had loads of side projects over the years but did he really expect dream theater to sit around while he ran around with all his other bands. Glad they told him to get lost if that's the case.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 2:46 pm

Wayne wrote:
Didn't mike portnoy want dream theater to slow down a bit and take some time out which leaded to his exit from the band?

Bingo....!

So what does Mike REALLY want!!!

lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 10:01 pm

maybe Mike's a bit confused at this stage in his life.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17063

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 11:36 pm

Metal Misfit wrote:

I agree.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17063

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2011 11:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Sykes rules. This could be cool.

Yep, Sykes is one of my favorite players.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:34 am

Bump for new info...

Quote :
Ex-Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy has announced the name of the project he’s completed after he stopped working with guitarist John Sykes. The Winery Dogs features Riche Kotzen in Sykes’ place alongside bassist Billy Sheehan. Their album, described as “a really cool, unique record,” is due out in May.

Quote :
“a really cool, unique record,”

That sounds like it could be a weird, proggy instrumental album with limited appeal. Good or bad? Guess it will be in the ears of the beholder.

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

That sounds like it could be a weird, proggy instrumental album with limited appeal. Good or bad? Guess it will be in the ears of the beholder.

How exactly did you get "weird, proggy instrumental" from the phrase "a really cool, unique record"? That description couldn't be any more vague.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:41 am

Too bad, i'd have loved to hear what Sykes and he could've done.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 am

S.D. wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Quote :

How exactly did you get "weird, proggy instrumental" from the phrase "a really cool, unique record"? That description couldn't be any more vague.

Also, Sheehan has stated that Richie "sings his ass off" in this project...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:44 am

I dunno. If it were someting more "rock", why wouldn't he say "It's rock". Or blues. Or whatever. Saying that it's "cool and unique" without any direction and the given participants led me to belive it's gonna be something more "out there" with limited appeal.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just a first impression I had. Don't read too deep into my posts. I talk out of my ass more often than not. I didn't see anything about Richie singing his ass off, so I wrongly assumed instrumental music. Pardon the f*ck outta me.

Buncha friggin elitists 'round here. Geez.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 11:59 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I dunno. If it were someting more "rock", why wouldn't he say "It's rock". Or blues. Or whatever. Saying that it's "cool and unique" without any direction and the given participants led me to belive it's gonna be something more "out there" with limited appeal.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Just a first impression I had. Don't read too deep into my posts. I talk out of my ass more often than not. I didn't see anything about Richie singing his ass off, so I wrongly assumed instrumental music. Pardon the f*ck outta me.

I'm just saying it won't be instrumental...that's all. Laughing very hard

And knowing Richie, who abandoned the technical stuff a long time ago, I expect a LOT of groove and soul...especially if he's singing.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
SpectreFate

Number of posts : 1635

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Quote :
Also, Sheehan has stated that Richie "sings his ass off" in this project...

An album helmed by an assless Richie Kotzen? Count me out.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:04 pm

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... 706740
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

And knowing Richie, who abandoned the technical stuff a long time ago, I expect a LOT of groove and soul...especially if he's singing.

I could retort about Richie's playing abilities, but I don't dare speculate on the direction of this recording anymore. I'll wait until some actual music gets posted. crazy happy

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:37 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I could retort about Richie's playing abilities, but I don't dare speculate on the direction of this recording anymore. I'll wait until some actual music gets posted. crazy happy

Oh, Kotzen is a bonafide bad@$$ on guitar...he can shred out with the best of them...he just chooses not to.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 2:53 pm

Yea, I've heard some of his funk/groove/blues stuff. Can't say I cared much for it though.

PostSubject: Re: Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...   Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Portnoy starts up ANOTHER new band...
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next