Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Retro!

Go down 
+23
corplhicks
TheGreatDuck
SpectreFate
Orion Crystal Ice
Boris2008
ZombieHavoc
chewie
Dark Horseman
mc666
Zdan
Andy
INVADERS
Witchfinder
James B.
EvyMetal
Wargod
Wurthless
arachnoplasma
Joe
MetalGuy71
Thrasher73
kmorg
Eyesore
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 10:09 am

I'm not sure where these guys belong but a great new band and I'm really looking forward to the debut in August

Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 10:24 pm

First song from their debut album, really looking forward to this.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 am

Eyesore wrote:

Bump...

Black Trip signed with SVP/Steamhammer records. Their debut album, Goin' Under, is getting a release in early July. 'Bout time. Now maybe I can get a reasonably-priced copy.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 1:44 pm

Psychedelic stoner with a kick ass singer?

I'm in!  Very Happy 

Studio version of this on Bandcamp
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 26, 2014 1:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Bump...

Black Trip signed with SVP/Steamhammer records. Their debut album, Goin' Under, is getting a release in early July. 'Bout time. Now maybe I can get a reasonably-priced copy.

headbanger 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 2:49 pm

Can anyone recommend any good retro bands out there that aren't stoner, or Zepp, Sabbath or AC/DC worship? As pretty much all bands I came across so far seem to fall into one of those categories (still have to read through this thread and listen to all the links, though; might have been already mentioned for all I know).
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 3:47 pm

Asking for '70s influenced rock music without any Sabbath, Zepp or AC/DC influences is like asking for a pizza with no tomatoes, cheese or pizza base. There are plenty of bands that are far from clones in here, but i think it's best that you dig through and decide for yourself.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 4:09 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Asking for '70s influenced rock music without any Sabbath, Zepp or AC/DC influences is like asking for a pizza with no tomatoes, cheese or pizza base. There are plenty of bands that are far from clones in here, but i think it's best that you dig through and decide for yourself.

Nor did I specify I want bands without any influence from those three bands, nor is the pizza comparison true. I should have probably listened to all the links in the thread before posting, though.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 4:27 pm

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:

Nor did I specify I want bands without any influence from those three bands, nor is the pizza comparison true. I should have probably listened to all the links in the thread before posting, though.

The Pizza comparison is entirely true. Those three bands were along with Deep Purple, the absolute building blocks for most of what I class as heavy metal & hard rock. But i don't want to argue about stuff I don't care about. If you don't want that type of music, you don't.
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2014 4:52 pm

You're absolutely right there, but I think we might have a misunderstanding here. While those four bands have indeed influenced everything that came later on, from Kiss to UFO to Maiden to Slayer to Poison to Death to Burzum, there's a difference between being influenced by a band and sounding like a band. Say, while power metal is influenced by Rainbow, you still can't say Blind Guardian or Helloween sound like Rainbow.

Now that you mention Deep Purple, that's a band I'd like to hear someone being heavily influenced by. There's like five AC/DC clones for every album AC/DC released, while I can't think of a single newer band that sounds like Deep Purple.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 10:21 am

Quote :
I can't think of a single newer band that sounds like Deep Purple.

Check out Blood of the Sun. They've got a pretty sweet 'Purp-vibe going on with the Hammond Organ. I love these guys.

https://myspace.com/bloodofthesun/music/songs

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 11:28 am

I'm not sure that these guys would appeal to anyone on here (probably Eyesore, maybe a few others) but they are amazing, kind of like Blood Ceremony but without the folk & flute and more mid Ozzy period Sabbath and hard rocking psyche. Streamed the album about four times in the last 24 hours and I'm totally sold.

The only bummer is that i got the vinyl for $21 and postage was $22!!  angry

(To make matters worse, I have just discovered that I could have got a European copy of this from a shop in Birmingham, which is a few miles up the road!)

Last edited by Boris2008 on Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 12:55 pm

Hey, this is actually some really great stuff!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 1:08 pm

TheGreatDuck, Opeth has a HUGE Deep Purple current in their music, especially the latest batch. The use of organ really brings it out. Some songs sound like they could've been on Talisman. Check out Heritage to see what I mean.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 07, 2014 2:02 pm

Too lazy to check the whole thread but has Wolfmother been mentioned? Remind me a lot of Cream.

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 11, 2014 11:45 am

Let's go back a littler further than the fuzzed out 70's and take a trip to the 60's British Invasion with Nic Armstrong and the Thieves.

Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2014 11:53 am

New track cheers 

You all know I love this band  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:11 am

and this one. New Uncle Acid  Very Happy 

http://thequietus.com/articles/15933-uncle-acid-new-single
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 9:56 am

Boris2008 wrote:
and this one. New Uncle Acid  Very Happy 

http://thequietus.com/articles/15933-uncle-acid-new-single

Nice. Really dig Uncle Acid.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:32 am

TheGreatDuck wrote:
Can anyone recommend any good retro bands out there that aren't stoner, or Zepp, Sabbath or AC/DC worship? As pretty much all bands I came across so far seem to fall into one of those categories (still have to read through this thread and listen to all the links, though; might have been already mentioned for all I know).

This entire thread, dude.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 08, 2014 10:38 am

I might have posted this already, or elsewhere on this forum, but these gals are certainly retro. Maybe not heavy enough for some of you, but I think they're awesome.

This, their latest EP, was released by Skeleton Key Records, run by the dudes in The Coral. Seems like they're intent on putting out that 50s/60s psychadelic rock-type stuff like The Coral plays. Here's another great EP they've recently put out by a band called The Circles. (I guess all the band names will start with "The" as well. Haha.)

Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 13, 2014 4:38 am

So very very great. Love Spiders!

First song from the new album due Oct  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 15, 2014 7:04 am

New Black Moth!  Very Happy 

I like the fact that this is a departure from the 'retro' style, kind of reminds me of Auf Der Maur's debut, which I loved. Just pre ordered the new album.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 26, 2014 11:43 am

So pleased that it really seems to be happening for these guys

The album rules!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Retro!  - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Retro!    Retro!  - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Retro!
Page 10 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next