Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Megadeth

Go down 
+29
mc666
Joe
Metal Misfit
skullkrusher
Chairman_Smith
bassman
shamgar75
Addy
metalken
exact33
adrian
Jesusandmetal23
Temple of Blood
Lurideath
Mglaffas81
Shawn Of Fire
Troublezone
Required Fields
Smindas
Thrasher73
nevermore
MoonChild
thejokeriv
James B.
manny
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Which do you prefer?
The System Has Failed (2004)
Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 31% [ 14 ]
United Abominations (2007)
Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Vote_lcap24%Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 24% [ 11 ]
Endgame (2009)
Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Vote_lcap42%Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 42% [ 19 ]
They all suck
Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Vote_lcap2%Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 2% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 45

AuthorMessage
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:56 pm

For me it was tough

It was between System and United Abominations

I went with System
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:18 pm

I truly love Megadeth - this was a little tough.

I find myself loving Endgame a lot. I thought it was a tight album with some excellent guitar work. Just my opinion. headbanger
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:57 pm

The System Has Failed , nice mix of the old thrashiness and more melodic newer stuff.
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 1:05 am

The System Has Failed. Hes not trying too hard on that one.
Back to top Go down
skullkrusher
Metal student
Metal student
skullkrusher

Number of posts : 115

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 6:57 am

UNITED ABOMINATIONS

Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 8:26 am

Surprising pretty even split. I sort of expected a landslide for "Endgame" since it's the thrashier of the bunch.

Whoever voted for "they all suck" didn't say who they were or why they voted that way.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 8:31 am

ultmetal wrote:
Surprising pretty even split. I sort of expected a landslide for "Endgame" since it's the thrashier of the bunch.

Whoever voted for "they all suck" didn't say who they were or why they voted that way.

It was Lars
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:22 am

Hahaha.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:03 am

The System Has Failed, easily. One of my favorite Megadeth albums. Great combination of all the previous eras.

Endgame left me cold, UA is okay.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:53 am

I know it wasnt me cuz i love megadeth

Endgame is good but it didnt do it for me like UA and System did
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 7:04 pm

I like all three, but went with TSHF.

Like others have mentioned, I wasn't expecting much from this album, so I was pleasantly surprised. UA has some killer songs, but some filler too. Endgame was good, but the whole "look, I can play the guitar" got a little excessive.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12620

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 8:58 pm

ultmetal wrote:

An educated guess would be either Shannon or Monty

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 9:19 pm

James B. wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I assumed it was MC666
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 10:02 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
James B. wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I assumed it was MC666

I thought it was ToB
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 11:22 pm

Chairman_Smith wrote:
James B. wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

I assumed it was MC666
you are correct sir, hahaha *[/end Ed McMahon voice]

maper74
Metal novice
Metal novice
maper74

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 5:49 pm

Endgame, it was just what i wanted, good old heavy ass thrash metal with battling guitars, chrushing bass, full out drum assult and Daves snarly voice.
Back to top Go down
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 07, 2011 7:09 pm

Out of the last 3 I would say Endgame as well. The album didn't click with me when I first heard it. However, that has been a recurring pattern for me in relation to the newer Megadeth (post-Cryptic Writings) albums.

Endgame seems to me the closest Mustaine has come to revisiting the older Megadeth albums. However, much like the last couple of releases it also has elements in common with Countdown, which is not a bad thing at all.

At the same time, I'm not the most unbiased Megadeth listener. If anything I like almost everything Mustaine has released. Almost because I take a big exception to Risk - it simply doesn't represent Megadeth's sound, or alternatively most songs seem to have a very raw / demo-ish kinda quality to them. Almost like we were meant to hear something more but ended up getting half-written and incomplete songs. I haven't described Risk in this manner before and I almost feel like I'm being too generous for characterising the songs as demos.

But before I get too sidetracked - the last 3 albums have all been quite solid. My only complaint is that Mustaine is not as adventurous as he was in the past. I know a paragraph above I complained about Risk but that was for reasons altogether different. Mustaine always seemed to push the envelope a little further both during the 80s and 90s and lately he seems a bit too ... complacent.

When I think back to albums like Rust in Peace and Countdown to Extinction - granted they are both classics - those albums both shared something old school sounding but also something new that Mustaine hadn't explored before. That was also the case, perhaps more evident with albums like Youthanasia and Cryptic Writings, where you had a fair share of old school and new ideas mixed together. That is something I wish Mustaine was still doing as an artist. I'm not sure whether he's just stopped growing or is too comfortable to think outside of the box but I honestly don't really need another R.I.P. - I'd actually be more interested in another Youthanasia.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 2:33 am

United abominations for me.

Sleep walker is a demonstration of Dave's magic skills
Back to top Go down
ryanmetalman
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ryanmetalman

Number of posts : 274

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 08, 2011 5:14 am

I love Megadeth. It was a hard decision for me, but I went with "The System Has Failed" since it was not only the return from "no more Megadeth," but as others have said, it was a return to form. An excellent blend of thrash and melody.

I liked "United Abomanations," but at first it struck me as "TSHF" part 2. Particularly "Sleepwalker" sounds a lot like "Blackmail the Universe." I came to love the album.

I dig "Endgame" as well. I personally disagree with people saying that Dave was "trying too hard."

That said at the end of the day, I find I reach for "TSHF" more than the others.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Modern Megadeth   Modern Megadeth - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Megadeth
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2