Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Production

Go down 
+10
MetalGuy71
Glower
Shawn Of Fire
mikeinfla
glassprison
Gilbert
Troublezone
Lari
Temple of Blood
Highway Star
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Highway Star
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Highway Star

Number of posts : 480

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 3:54 pm

Is it just me?
I find the production on most new albums to be unlistenable. Even though I like the music, there seems to be little separation. It all just seems like a continuous wall of noise. Some of it actually gives me headache.
It seems they go after volume instead of great sound.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 4:14 pm

It's not just you.

Triggered drums, same drum samples used.

Same amps, etc.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 4:23 pm

It's actually not as bad as it was just a few years back.

Now some bands do opt for a "softer" mix. With more range. I kind of felt like that about Redeemer of Souls. It was very easy on the ears.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 pm

Modern production more times than not is too loud and imbalanced. The best time for production was the early 90s IMO. Guys like Terry Date, Neil Kernon and Colin Richardson did excellent jobs back then, and for the most part they still sound good today. Andy Sneap is the guy that has the same cookie cutter sound every time! He uses the same Pro Tools program samples for every band.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9885

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 pm

I especially hate it when drums sound as if they were programmed.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeWed Feb 07, 2018 11:00 pm

For me, the nadir of that trend was KISS--Monster. I guess it was appropriate for the song "Wall of Sound" but the rest of the album is tough to listen to with headphones.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 7:19 am

Brickwalled.

Modern Production OT8KfMu

Modern music looks like the bottom track. Good production looks like the top one.

Last edited by mikeinfla on Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:26 am

Temple of Blood wrote:
It's not just you.

Same amps, etc.

Same simulated amp plug-ins, you mean...haha!

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 8:27 am

mikeinfla wrote:
Brickwalled.

Modern Production OT8KfMu

Modern music looks like the bottom track. Good production looks like the top one.

That's just from the mastering...there's way more to production than just mastering.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 9:44 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
It's not just you.

Same amps, etc.

Same simulated amp plug-ins, you mean...haha!

That too!
Back to top Go down
Highway Star
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Highway Star

Number of posts : 480

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 6:19 pm

glassprison wrote:
For me, the nadir of that trend was KISS--Monster. I guess it was appropriate for the song "Wall of Sound" but the rest of the album is tough to listen to with headphones.

The last several Whitesnake albums are that way to me.
I love the music but sound is almost unlistenable
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3172

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeThu Feb 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Production sucks for decades now.
It’s sounds like it’s the same producer for every band.
It’s like a big huge cookie cutter machine - spewing out the same song.
I don’t know how the younger generation can take it.
For me, it’s lost it’s life, spontaneity, energy, personality etc etc
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 10:33 am

Production sounds too sterile and slick these days. Everything recorded in professional studios that have been scientifically designed to provide optimal sound, which renders everything too perfect and clean.

Remember in the 70's when Zeppelin would look at a 16th century Scottish castle and say "We should record an album in there. Let's set up the drums in the hallway to the grand banquet hall". Or the Stones would rent a villa in the French Riviera and say "Let's record Mick's vocals in the basement wine cellar".

One of my favorite Zeppelin songs is 'Houses of the Holy' where you can hear the squeak of Bonham's bass pedals. I freakin' LOVE that. It's just so natural and organic.

Or the story of Judas Priest banging cutlery on a silver platter to create the clanking sounds on 'Metal Gods'. It just seemed so much more inventive and creative before the digital age.

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 11:49 am

I think recording in a haunted castle really helps make for a great album. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was done that way.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Troublezone wrote:
I think recording in a haunted castle really helps make for a great album. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was done that way.

There is certainly something to be said for recording albums in unorthodox settings and lots of drugs. The list of classic albums recorded under those 2 criteria would be endless. Razz

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6336

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 1:18 pm

What's even worse is trying to artificially make your band sound poor, ie. St.Anger.

I think with Death Magnetic and St.Anger, Metallica are responsible for two of the worst produced albums in the history of (major label) rock music. And for two completely polar opposite reasons.
Back to top Go down
assault_attack
Metal master
Metal master
assault_attack

Number of posts : 688

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Gilbert wrote:
I especially hate it when drums sound as if they were programmed.

Nothing worse then FAKE DRUMS..
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 2:26 pm

assault_attack wrote:
Nothing worse then FAKE DRUMS..

Quite a few albums considered classics had fake drums, no one complained.

I think terrible songwriting is the worst thing a band can have.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 2:51 pm

Lari wrote:
What's even worse is trying to artificially make your band sound poor, ie. St.Anger.

I still can't believe the band listened to the final masters and said "Yup, sounds good. We're done here".

Temple of Blood wrote:

Really? Like who?

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 2:54 pm

Quote :
Temple of Blood wrote:

Really? Like who?

King Diamond, Crimson Glory, etc.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 3:16 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Quote :
Temple of Blood wrote:

Really? Like who?

King Diamond, Crimson Glory, etc.

You know this for fact or are you saying you can tell by listening? And what's your definition of fake drums? Sampled effects? Electric drum beats? Inverted coffee cans? I'm not trying to bust balls or anything here. I'm genuinely curious how one can tell when it's not obvious.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 3:20 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
You know this for fact or are you saying you can tell by listening? And what's your definition of fake drums? Sampled effects? Electric drum beats? Inverted coffee cans? I'm not trying to bust balls or anything here. I'm genuinely curious how one can tell when it's not obvious.

Yeah, it's a fact. Both artists have said they used drum machines on a few albums.

Honestly, I have an awesome drum machine (Boss DR880) and I bet few could tell it was fake if they heard it. What I'm saying is there are far worse things one can do than have fake drums.

That also doesn't include the legions of bands with tinny sounding drums that might as well be totally fake .... and get no flak for it.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Fair enough.

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 3:51 pm

SO many albums (I'm talking Rock/Metal albums) have been made in the last 10 years using computer-programmed drums that utilize live drum sounds via samples. It's the same as guitarists recording direct with a clean signal, then dialing in an amp tone from a box or piece of software during mix. It happens all day, every day.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitimeFri Feb 09, 2018 3:56 pm

Well, that's not the same because guitar players still have to play the part and a programmed part doesn't need to be played at all.

Samples to me are not bad at all, just overused perhaps. Same with re-amping. But it's fine, really IMHO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Modern Production Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Production   Modern Production Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Production
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next