Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Modern Talking

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Modern Talking Empty
PostSubject: Modern Talking   Modern Talking Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 3:28 pm

I wanted to know if we have any fans of Modern Talking here? I am a fan of electronic disco, or Moroder-inspired stuff, Modern Talking being no exception. I know they were one of the most popular German groups of all time, with Deiter Bohlan the frontman being the kind of figure the German media liked to pick on for industry drama. I also like the other project he did, Blue System. I notice it's common for people from other countries to always say how they hate their own country's music when asked on the internet, but do any of our German users here have any fondness for them, as well?
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

Modern Talking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Talking   Modern Talking Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 4:31 pm

muckie wrote:
but do any of our German users here have any fondness for them, as well?

Well, no, i doubt it. I don't know why the stuff was so popular (it was catchy i guess and once your're drunk enough it sounds ok i guess) but even in their heyday they were hated, despised, parodized and it was a girls band (then again even if were 10 years older i'd still rather buy iron maiden than modern talking)
I remember when they made their comeback in 1998 and it was hyped like a big deal, it was a success.
To mee they were like a poor man's Bee Gee's with a lot of 80's sound on them, so much that i wondered (our local munich station re-played Formel 1 (a music video show form the 80's and early 90's, so i saw the 80's stuff) what's the appeal. The music was really low-brow pop with no appeal and i always wondered why Dieter Bohlen had a guitar in the hand when their music never even had any guitar, it was all synth and basically a bad version of Alphaville.

In some ways they were the Wham! of Germany with the musicians having some success with crappy music, trying single success, than living from a lot of controversies and scandals in the press
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

Modern Talking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Talking   Modern Talking Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 1:30 am

I actually like both Modern Talking and Blue System but acknowledge their cheesiness. It's part of the fun of the group. I like the Bee Gees influence. Songs like "My Bed is Too Big" by Blue System are amusing in how they remind me of "Night at the Roxbury" from Saturday Night Live. LOL! Great club song, but I can see Jim Carrey bobbing his head to it with a beer in his hand.

I second your complaint about Bohlen carrying a guitar but never playing it. I also like how some people mentioned that their image was like Siegfried and Roy (who are also German if I recall correctly). Haha.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

Modern Talking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Talking   Modern Talking Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 3:24 am

I have Sandra's "The Long Play" and I really enjoy it. Loved her voice since childhood. Other than that, I got fed up with eurodisco or whatever it is that was (is?) quite popular in all post Soviet countries. Won't skip MT tune though, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Hawklord
Metal student
Metal student
Hawklord

Number of posts : 228

Modern Talking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Talking   Modern Talking Icon_minitimeSat Jun 03, 2017 8:59 am

yes I like them, and they've made some great viewable videos to.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Modern Talking Empty
PostSubject: Re: Modern Talking   Modern Talking Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Modern Talking
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Let The Music Do The Talking-
Jump to: