Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any wine drinkers out there?

Go down 
+11
Shawn Of Fire
EvyMetal
SAHB Healer
MetalGuy71
Joe
DeathCult
thejokeriv
exact33
Fat Freddy
Mglaffas81
metalinmyveins
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Any wine drinkers out there? Empty
PostSubject: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:25 pm

Obviously we have many beer drinkers on this board, but are there any wine drinkers?

If so, what type of grape do you fancy? Do you like blends or single varietals? Are you red a or white drinker? Do you like wines that are more dry or sweet? Do you favor wines from the United States (California in particular) or French, Italian, German, Argentinian, Australian or any other countries I might have missed?

I was predominantly a beer drinker up until about four/five years ago, when I found out that I had a liking for red wines (mostly single varietals like Merlot or Cabernet Sauvignon).
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:33 pm

Yes, I am very fond of wine and I do, though I would not consider myself a snob, have some preferences - I like both dry and sweet, but find merlot, amarone and shiraz to be my favourite, at least when talking about red wine - I also LOVE champagne. I like white wine, but I ain't too sharp in that area Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:43 pm

My wife is the wine drinker in our house. I'll drink wine if it's offered to me, but I am far from an expert.

In fact, last week the wife sent me to the store to pick up some adult beverages for our holiday celebration and I had to ask the guy behind the counter what was "good." I'm like, "Why send a beer guy to buy wine?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 4:03 pm

i like a Merlot once and awhile - with some form of pasta.

metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Mglaffas81 wrote:

Yes, I am very fond of wine and I do, though I would not consider myself a snob, have some preferences - I like both dry and sweet, but find merlot, amarone and shiraz to be my favourite, at least when talking about red wine - I also LOVE champagne. I like white wine, but I ain't too sharp in that area Laughing

I'm definitely more of a fan of dry wines, though I won't rule out trying something if it's considered sweet. Regarding champagne, I can't stand the stuff, but I will defer to having a sip, when its New Years related or a toast on someone's behalf. Regarding whites, I just don't care for them anymore. Once I got hooked on reds, it was hard to go back to whites, especially the really sweet whites (which seem to be most of them).

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 5:50 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
My wife is the wine drinker in our house. I'll drink wine if it's offered to me, but I am far from an expert.

In fact, last week the wife sent me to the store to pick up some adult beverages for our holiday celebration and I had to ask the guy behind the counter what was "good." I'm like, "Why send a beer guy to buy wine?"

The funny thing about wine and beer is, with average to bad beer, I find a way to finish the beer off, but with a wine that just doesn't taste right (w/food or w/out food), I find myself just pitching it. That can be disconcerting, especially when you're paying upwards of $15.00 or more on a bottle. The funny thing about wine is, you would think just because it's expensive that would mean it's better, but it really comes down to what type of grape you like/heavy or light tannins/sweet or dry/the acidic quality, etc... There are so many damn variables, but with that being said, I don't mind fretting over what wines I might buy. In situations like that, it's okay to fail on some selections. Nothing ventured, nothing gained...
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 5:52 pm

exact33 wrote:
i like a Merlot once and awhile - with some form of pasta.

I'm finding out that you really can't go wrong with Merlot. There's a reason it's the number two grape in the world. It works great on it's own, and is used the majority of time in blends.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 6:06 pm

Prefer Red wine, not a blend, not too dry
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 7:07 pm

MAD DOG 20 20! \'arry \'eadbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 7:40 pm

DeathCult wrote:

I'll second that. How about some Boone's Strawberry Hill??? Nothing like twisting the cap for your wine.

Franzia anyone??
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Please submit your latest purchases on here, as I'm always looking to hear about different wines.

I just had a wine by Columbia Crest (out of Washington) called "Two vines" 2005. It was a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Franc, & Cabernet Sauvignon. It was pretty good, average price ($12.00), smooth wine (w/meal, not so much on its own), medium tannins (The astringency from the tannins is what causes the dry and puckery feeling in the mouth following the consumption of red wine), nice aroma (fruit: raspberry/blackberry). It even tasted fine the next day (something I hate to do), as I wasn't able to polish off that first night (one of the many things that sucks about being single!!!).
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 10:53 am

I'm a red wine drinker. I have a glass practically every night with dinner. Soetimes more if the mood is right. The Italian side of my family used to make their own.

I'm partial to merlot, but that's about as far as my expertise goes. I sometimes wish I knew more about wines, but like music, I either like it or I don't.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 2:40 am

I've really never cared for wine, but at my age there are some blood pressure issues cropping up, so I was advised to try some red wines. I still can't stand dry wines (yuk!), but I have learned to enjoy sweet reds such as Port. Also there are many excellent fruit wines grown here in Wisconsin. My biggest complaint is that wine is relatively expensive, but I can't argue with the results so far.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 04, 2011 4:33 pm

My dad drinks like 2 glasses of Merlot a night, so I'm around it all the time. I will drink some stuff sometimes, but I'm not a wino like he is. Some good one's that I have said to enjoy would be Gnarly Head or Fetzer
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:11 am

I don't know all the in's and out's and chemistries and other technical aspects of wine...but I like to drink it.

There is a vineyard near me called Ray Len Vineyards. They have 2 that I like...one they call Pale Red (sweet dessert wine, served cold) and one called Category 5 (bold red) that I like.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:23 am

Nothing I enjoy more then a nice glass of wine in a box:

Any wine drinkers out there? Blackboxshiraz
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 am

Enjoyed 2 glasses last night. One with my spaghetti dinner, the other while I watched 'Mythbusters' with an infant sleeping in the crook of my arm and the lights down low.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:32 am

DeathCult wrote:

Laughing very hard My buddies and I used to drink that in college. It came in every color of the rainbow (red, purple, green, orange, yellow) but oddly they all tasted pretty much the same.

How bout some Night Train, or Wild Irish Rose?

My sophomore year roommate threw up about a bottle's worth of Night Train (plus whatever food he'd consumed that day) all over his girlfriend's bed one night. She came running over to our room in a panic to get me to drag him home and throw him in his own bed (she was a little thing and couldn't carry him) ... I will never forget the sight of my drunk-ass roommate sitting in a daze, Indian style, on her bed in front of a large chunky red/purple stain in the middle of her pristine white bed spread. I had to go back into the hallway and laugh hysterically for a minute before I could even think about helping him get back to our room. He just looked so damn pathetic. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 am

Quote :
How bout some Night Train, or Wild Irish Rose?

Oh God yea!! Too much that I care to remember. They say heavy metal music is a bad influence on youth? Well I can certainly back up that claim. We drank gallons of Night Train back in the day. Why? Because Guns n' Roses sang a song about it of course. And it was mentioned in The Blues Brothers movie. 2 perfectly acceptable reasons to drink that rotgut.

I drank some Wild Irish Rose and MD 20/20 too, but not near the quanities of Night Train we consumed. MD 20/20 was for the few girls that were dumb enough to hang with us. Too fruity for us manly men. But a bottle of Night Train and a case of Busch cans was a good way to kick-off a weekend with friends when I was young.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:08 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
We drank gallons of Night Train back in the day. Why? Because Guns n' Roses sang a song about it of course.

Yup, same here. One of my stoner college buddies and I were even fooling around with his video camera one night and we shot a fake "commercial" for Night Train, with the G&R song playing in the background.

I sometimes wonder if my friend still has that tape. I live in fear of it (and many others we shot that were just like it) winding up on YouTube someday.

Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:25 am

I don't believe that wines with americanized names like Mad Dog and Night Train are worth it..... what's next? Berrylicious Twist? Vinyard Explosion? You Americans can suck sophistication out of anything!

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:27 am

Mglaffas81 wrote:
I don't believe that wines with americanized names like Mad Dog and Night Train are worth it..... what's next? Berrylicious Twist? Vinyard Explosion? You Americans can suck sophistication out of anything!

Bums and hobos (and broke college students) gotta get their drink on, too. That's the sector that such "wines" (and I use the term loosely) are targeted towards.

Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:29 am

I'm rather partial to red wine because even the cheaper stuff tastes decent. There's nothing classier than me swigging wine straight from the bottle. I'm not going to lie, I definitely want to try Night Train because of its immortalisation on Appetite. It's got to be better than Sainsbury's house red (Sainsbury's being a supermarket over here - their house red was grim, I should have broken the £4 barrier).

I used to actually know a fair bit about wines a few years back when I was waiter - what type of wine goes with what food etc. - but I seem to have forgotten most of it, unfortunately.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 11:50 am

Quote :
I'm not going to lie, I definitely want to try Night Train because of its immortalisation on Appetite.

I'm not sure that they still make it. I haven't seen it in years, but maybe they do. I still have an unopened bottle (with a $2.49 price tag on it) sitting behind the bar at home. It's probably turned to vinegar by now.

EDIT: It appears that Night Train Express is still manufactured somewhere by someone, but it's increasing hard to find.

Quote :
"Community groups in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, and Portland have urged makers of fortified wines such as Wild Irish Rose and E & J Gallo's Thunderbird and Night Train brands to pull their products from the shelves of liquor retailers in skid row areas. In Nashville, Tennessee, one liquor store owner told Nashville Business Journal reporter Julie Hinds that police warned him to stop selling his biggest selling product, Wild Irish Rose, because it encouraged homeless people to linger in the area."

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 06, 2011 12:18 pm

I haven't seen Night Train in ages, but I know they still make MD (Mad Dog) 20/20. I saw it in a local liquor store here just a few months ago. My stomach churned just at the sight of it.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any wine drinkers out there?   Any wine drinkers out there? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any wine drinkers out there?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next