Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

April Wine?

Go down 
+7
stepcousin
Glenn Rogers
Wargod
7thSaviour
tohostudios
MetalGuy71
MetalFRO
11 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:48 pm

I have an old compilation cassette called "Heavy Metal Love" which has April Wine's "Just Between You and Me". I heard it on the local AM station as I was coming into my driveway during lunch today, and was reminded of using that song on a mix tape for my girlfriend in high school (now my wife!), and remembered reading a bunch of stuff on the band on the All Music Guide, but never pursued any of their albums.

Anyway, I know I could do the informed thing & probably listen to a lot of their stuff on Last.FM or some such, but I wanted to get everyone's take on this band. Are they worth investing my time on, and what albums (if any) would be recommended by this bunch?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:50 pm

Lotsa opinions here...

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/rip-f4/april-wine-t4865.htm?highlight=april+wine

As for me, I've heard a few songs here & there, but nothing to get jazzed about.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 2:53 pm

First Glance and Nature Of The Beast are both excellent albums IMO.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Just between you and me, I like this band! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 3:16 pm

Their 70's material is best very raw sounding as they got into the 80's they were more of a commercial success but still I love the band thier last cd is great as hell.

Wargod50
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Triple AXE Attack!!! 70's Hard Rock from Canada GREAT BAND!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 4:35 pm

Good stuff that seems almost forgotten. I never hear them on the classic rock station but they'd totally fit.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 6:31 pm

I've been a big fan since hearing "Harder...Faster" in 1980. Lately I've been into their really early work from '72 to '77. "Nature Of The Beast" is one of my favorite albums of all time, any genre.

If you are interested in them, you cant really think like a metalhead and compare them to Preist or Maiden because they wont stack up. The closest band I can size them up with would be Triumph, not in sound or style but in the same type of road taken: started out hippie hard rock, grew into 70's hard rock, then early 80's heavy metal/hard rock, then kinda commercial (AW more so) in the mid 80's, then disappearing in the late 80's, hardly to be seen again.
Also maybe a poor man's canadian version of Bad Company.
Also, if the 6 original members of Molly Hatchet would've been born in Quebec instead of Florida, they might of sounded like April Wine....well, sorta.

Album every hard rock fan should own: Nature Of The Beast

Albums one would pursue if more interested: Harder...Faster, First Glance (Both awesome albums)

album to pursue if big fan of songs "Sign Of The Gypsy Queen" and "Just Between You And Me": Power Play (The album after "Nature")

albums to pursue of fan of mid 70's bands like Bad Company and maybe a more mellow Nazareth: Stand Back, The Whole World's Gone Crazy, Forever For Now.

April Wine is an aquired taste, your average rock/metal fan over 35 has probably heard "Harder" and "Nature" but not much more. They are one of those bands that dont get much love, none of your friends even know about and wont play in your town anytime soon. But they are one of those bands that are never overplayed and sometimes you feel like you are the only one on earth that listens to them, which we all know is a cool thing when you find an unknown gem-of-a-band.
Back to top Go down
Glenn Rogers
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Glenn Rogers

Number of posts : 1069

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 7:35 pm

Go check them out on You Tube...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/finaldecreeofficial/
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 9:09 pm

They're very famous up here in Canada, and actually frequently tour around here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
metalken
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 819

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 10:17 pm

I saw the band a number of times in the early eighties. They put on a fantastic, kick butt show. I think both Harder...Faster and Nature Of The Beast are both great starting points.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 24, 2009 10:39 pm

always did lots of April Wine in the keg band and bar days.

There is a two disc set out there someplace ?

one is the softer stuff
the other is the harder stuff
Back to top Go down
JBall_Z
Metal master
Metal master
JBall_Z

Number of posts : 919

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 2:25 am

Harder Faster, First Glance and Nature of the Beast. Harder Faster is their best imo. It's a really good album.
Back to top Go down
MetalFRO
Metal master
Metal master
MetalFRO

Number of posts : 551

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks for the suggestions, I may check into some of their mid-period stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/metalfro
Sponsored content

April Wine? Empty
PostSubject: Re: April Wine?   April Wine? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

April Wine?
Page 1 of 1