Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Krokus appreciation society

Go down 
+33
Glower
mikeinfla
Nomadic Drifter
DeathCult
ZombieHavoc
mr.electric39
stepcousin
brokentulsa
onrypt
jstate
Witchfinder
metalken
MetalGuy71
TheDoctor'sScarf
chewie
Leatherface
krokus
EvyMetal
Gilbert
Metal Misfit
Shawn Of Fire
James B.
Thrasher73
Alex Dee Rokket
nevermore
Wargod
Fat Freddy
thejokeriv
ultmetal
exact33
Zdan
manny
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Why put the clips diagonal instead of vertical ?

It makes reading  other posts a pain in the butt

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 6:28 pm

I always dug Krokus but I always felt their first 3 or 4 albums were close to being great but just not quite great. "One Vice" was pretty cool back in the day and still is. If that was the best they ever did, I wouldn't like them as much but would still regard them as a good band. Then they released "Headhunter" and that is one of my favorite hard rock/heavy metal albums from that period. That album is still a monster. I like "The Blitz" now, but boy did we all hate it when it came out. Huge disappointment in 1984. A contributing factor along with dozens more disappointments back then that drove me to thrash metal. Not too familiar with anything they've done in a long time, but over the years I have learned to appreciate the early stuff a bit more.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 14, 2014 6:52 pm

I just started spinning one their greatest hits discs (currently BLASTING LONG STICK GOES BOOM!!) and I opened the HOM page and bam there was this thread right at the top....

I've always enjoyed Krokus, not my favorite per se but they could rock... Head Hunter was a classic and the first time I heard the mentioned LSGB I could've swore it was a long lost Bon Scott track....

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery ..... and these guys were great admirers.... but they still ROCKED!!!! some good stuff
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 1:37 pm

Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Rihanna-00001
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 18, 2014 9:29 pm

It's funny how these threads seem to pop up when I'm listening to this stuff. I first came across Krokus when I saw the video for "Eat The Rich" on MTV when I was in junior high. I ended up eventually picking up everything from Metal Rendezvous through Heart Attack. For me, they're one of those "also-ran" type bands. Good songs spread throughout the albums but nothing that ever blew me away.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
Nomadic Drifter
Metal novice
Metal novice
Nomadic Drifter

Number of posts : 77

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 1:02 am

Count me in for the appreciation society.

Back in the day - my introduction was via their cover of American Woman. I had one Vice at a time and Hardware on a 90 minute cassette which got a fair few repeat plays and debate about Bon Scott/ACDC similarities. Picked up HeadHunter as a new release and it was an immediate favourite.

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 7:20 am

Picked up Dirty Dynamite when I saw it on iTunes for 6.99, included a "digital" booklet. One of the best 6.99 purchases I ever made. Had it been priced higher I probably wouldn't have bought it but I have been listening to it regularly since its release.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2014 9:57 am

I've been listening to Metal Rendez-vous this morning. Kickass record.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
007 wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Get the Definitive Collection album - its a really good compilation.

Yes. That's the only thing of their's I have right now. I used to have Headhunter,The Blitz,Change Of Address and Alive And Screamin' on cassette but no more. I wouldn't mind collecting their stuff again. I always liked them.

I'll keep an eye out for that collection. Seems as good a place as any to start.

I scored a cheap copy on ebay. Having never owned any Krokus songs at all, I was pleasantly surprised at how many songs I actually knew on this collection. Guess all those years of hanging out in sleazy strip joints paid off. Razz

Also surprised how many covers (4) made it onto their "Definitive Collection". What does that say about a band when 4 of their biggest hits are covers of other well-known songs?

Either way, I found the whole thing to be pretty dang good. I want to live with it for a little while before I go digging around for other Krokus albums, but this one should get plenty of spins in the meantime.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 11:31 am

Quote :
Also surprised how many covers (4) made it onto their "Definitive Collection". What does that say about a band when 4 of their biggest hits are covers of other well-known songs?

I have a cheapy Krokus "best of" called Headhunter Blitz and of the 10 songs on it, I believe that five are covers. Laughing very hard

But anywhoo, I've been digging into some of their stuff over the past year when I can find it cheap. I recently got their volume of the endless Extended Versions live series, which was better than expected, and The Blitz as well.

I've also had my eye on a 3-disc set of their early albums packaged together in a little box (Metal Rendez-Vous, Hardware and One Vice At A Time) but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 11:36 am

I remember being in a car - and someone had a store bought cassette of " Metal Classics " -
Standard ballad songs - April Wine - Aldo Nova - Journey -
but then came on " Long Stick Goes Boom " - forget it -
I had the driver play the song over and over - I thought it was cooler than AC DC -
They also did some bad songs too though - like Twisted Sister did - School's Out - was the worst.
I think WARLOCK's drummer joined them in that video - wild eyes great hair drummer -
Anyways - from the Stampeed CD - whoever the singer was - he was a perfect fit - !
Back to top Go down
metalheaded
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
metalheaded

Number of posts : 434

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 9:33 pm

I only have Headhunter and The Blitz. Never have heard any of their other stuff. Headhunter rules.

Never have understood why folks keep saying they sound like AC/DC. While I can hear a slight resemblance to Bon in Marc Storace's voice, it's only because I listen for it now due to reading posts on these message boards where they are being compared. Other than that, I never once thought of AC/DC when listening to Krokus. Their music is completely different; at least on Headhunter and The Blitz.

Maybe it's their other material that's similar, because it sure isn't those two albums...especially Headhunter.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 01, 2014 9:45 pm

Their first couple of records (pre-Headhunter) were pretty much straight up Bon Scott AC/DC worship. By the time they got to Headhunter they added a bunch of Judas Priest worship. (If memory serves, Priest producer Tom Allom worked w/them on Headhunter).

In fact, just recently I was listening to Krokus' "Extended Versions" concert disc in my truck and during one of the older songs, my 11 year old son suddenly piped up, "Is this AC/DC?" ...I sez "no, it isn't, but I give you points for noticing the resemblance." Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 02, 2014 9:53 am

I've noticed that on the Definitive Collection. The songs are not in chronological order and their overall sound throughout their career has gone through some tweaks. Some tunes sound very much like AC/DC (not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm assuming those tunes came from older albums before they found their own sound.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 12:51 pm

Krokus has released an album of cover tunes. Anyone check it out?

Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Krokus-album-cover-e1480712256112

01. N.I.B.
02. Tie Your Mother Down
03. My Generation
04. Wild Thing
05. The House Of The Rising Sun
06. Rockin’ In The Free World
07. Gimme Some Lovin’
08. Whole Lotta Love
09. Summertime Blues
10. Born To Be Wild
11. Quinn The Eskimo
12. Jumpin’ Jack Flash
13. Back Seat Rock’n Roll

I haven't heard a note of it, but judging from that track list, I'd pass. They really needed to dig a little deeper. 'Wild Thing'? 'My Generation'? The whole thing sounds like the set list of the local bar band made up of dads that like to "rock-out" on the weekends.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Will give it a listen, simply out of curiosity.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 2:32 pm

Damn, I thought the new album was just a normal record.

I will give it a listen, at least once. Most of the tracklist is appealing to me.

Listening to "The House of the Rising Sun" now and am not a fan at all. I'm not really into any version of this song though.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 3:23 pm

ZombieHavoc wrote:

I will give it a listen, at least once. Most of the tracklist is appealing to me.

Listening to "The House of the Rising Sun" now and am not a fan at all. I'm not really into any version of this song though.

you ever heard Flower Travellin' Band's version? It's really rad. Of course, you may not like it, though.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 4:39 pm

I may buy their covers album but mostly as a curio, doubt I will spin it often
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 7:00 pm

manny wrote:
I may buy their covers album but mostly as a curio, doubt I will spin it often

same here. Most cover albums are pretty hit or miss,

Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 8:00 pm

Wurthless wrote:
ZombieHavoc wrote:

you ever heard Flower Travellin' Band's version? It's really rad. Of course, you may not like it, though.

I quite like that, but I can't believe that you prefer it to The Animals version! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 10:25 pm

oh i didn't say I do, haha. i mean i probably listen to Flower Travellin' Band's version more than any others, but that's just cos I don't listen to the Animals frequently.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 10:42 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

01. N.I.B.
02. Tie Your Mother Down
03. My Generation
04. Wild Thing
07. Gimme Some Lovin’
08. Whole Lotta Love
09. Summertime Blues
10. Born To Be Wild
11. Quinn The Eskimo
12. Jumpin’ Jack Flash

I haven't heard a note of it, but judging from that track list, I'd pass. They really needed to dig a little deeper. 'Wild Thing'? 'My Generation'? The whole thing sounds like the set list of the local bar band made up of dads that like to "rock-out" on the weekends.
I totally agree.  At least half of those songs have been covered at least a gazillion times.  "Gimme Some Lovin"? "Born To Be Wild"?  Where's "American Woman"? 

And as for covering "Whole Lotta Love", no one will ever touch the Beth Hart version IMO.

I can't imagine a Krokus version of that song containing anywhere near that much "passion".

Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2017 10:58 pm

that's a pretty solid Zep cover. i like her voice.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 11:00 am

tohostudios wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

01. N.I.B.
02. Tie Your Mother Down
03. My Generation
04. Wild Thing
07. Gimme Some Lovin’
08. Whole Lotta Love
09. Summertime Blues
10. Born To Be Wild
11. Quinn The Eskimo
12. Jumpin’ Jack Flash

I totally agree.  At least half of those songs have been covered at least a gazillion times.  "Gimme Some Lovin"? "Born To Be Wild"?  Where's "American Woman"? 

And as for covering "Whole Lotta Love", no one will ever touch the Beth Hart version IMO.

I can't imagine a Krokus version of that song containing anywhere near that much "passion".

didnt they already cover American Woman on Hoodoo?

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Krokus appreciation society   Krokus appreciation society - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Krokus appreciation society
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next