Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Schools like this still exist?

Go down 
+13
Olafsto
scottmitchell74
thejokeriv
spiritoradio
7thSaviour
Stender
Svengo
Lari
sam
Fat Freddy
GrandNational
mc666
Required Fields
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Schools like this still exist? Empty
PostSubject: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 3:00 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090508/ap_on_re_us/us_school_dance_flap
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 3:19 am

Quote :
Frost's stepfather Stephan Johnson said the school's rules should not apply outside the classroom.
absolutely.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 4:18 am

These people have lost touch with reality. Westernized "Christianity" has become irrelevant to the max these days.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 6:56 am

Good grief. props to the kid for ignoring the school's "rules" and to his family for backing him up.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
sam
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
sam

Number of posts : 3012

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 10:05 am

some just refuse to understand that things change.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/samthebrutal
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 1:38 pm

Well, it's not like the kid is forced to go to a school that has strict rules like this. Or for the parents to send their kid there. If they want a more liberal education, go to some other school.

If you want to have your kid go through a tight conservative Christian school, you can't just ignore their rules. No point in going there, knowing the rules, then complaining once you decide you don't agree with school policy about certain things.

It's like buying a black metal CD, then trying to return it saying it's faulty when you don't like the high pitched gurgling or the frantic bass playing. You expected something else?

If you don't like it, why the hell did you send your kid there?
Back to top Go down
Svengo
Metal master
Metal master
Svengo

Number of posts : 967

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 3:33 pm

Lari wrote:
Well, it's not like the kid is forced to go to a school that has strict rules like this. Or for the parents to send their kid there. If they want a more liberal education, go to some other school.

If you want to have your kid go through a tight conservative Christian school, you can't just ignore their rules. No point in going there, knowing the rules, then complaining once you decide you don't agree with school policy about certain things.

It's like buying a black metal CD, then trying to return it saying it's faulty when you don't like the high pitched gurgling or the frantic bass playing. You expected something else?

I agree 100%
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 4:31 pm

Svengo wrote:
Lari wrote:

I agree 100%

Me too. The kid and his family signed a contract with the school that outlined all of the rules. They should have known better when they registered him.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

Number of posts : 2206

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 5:14 pm

It's schools and churches such as these that have made me turn my back on organized religion.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 6:39 pm

7thSaviour wrote:
It's schools and churches such as these that have made me turn my back on organized religion.

It's not so much organized religion , it's the people that run them for the most part.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSat May 09, 2009 10:15 pm

What they didn't tell you in this story though is that the guy that is going to prom is this guy right here

Schools like this still exist? Footloose

So you can see where their concern is.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeSun May 10, 2009 8:57 pm

sam wrote:
some just refuse to understand that things change.

Yep.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 8:41 am

GrandNational wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:

It's not so much organized religion , it's the people that run them for the most part.

Good point - power corupts, perfect example. Churches today have moved so far from what Jesus taught - he taught about freedom from the law (mosaic law) and what does these curches do? Put everyone back under the "new law", in this case the school's "law".
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Prom date costs student graduation date

An Ohio senior is suspended today from the fundamentalist Baptist school he has attended since kindergarten for attending a public school prom.
Schools like this still exist? 6a00d83451b46269e20115707ed1d9970b-200wi The Courier in Findlay, Ohio, reports that Tyler Frost, 17, danced and held hands with his girlfriend at the Findlay High prom, attended by about 800 students.
Heritage Christian School forbids dancing, hand holding and rock music. Frost's grandmother, Karen Frost, who teaches at Heritage Christian, said she had been praying for her grandson to "make the right decision" and skip the prom.
But Frost told the website he never wavered from his decision to attend with Rebecca Smooty.
Heritage principal Tim England said Frost will receive an "incomplete" on remaining assignments and will be banned from graduation ceremonies, but will receive his diploma after completing his finals.
Frost's father, Stephan Johnson, said the suspension is unfair and that he plans to sue the school.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:39 pm

GrandNational wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:

Agreed.
Back to top Go down
7thSaviour
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
7thSaviour

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:40 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
GrandNational wrote:
7thSaviour wrote:

Good point - power corupts, perfect example. Churches today have moved so far from what Jesus taught - he taught about freedom from the law (mosaic law) and what does these curches do? Put everyone back under the "new law", in this case the school's "law".
I see your point.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 12:56 pm

Looks like the kid got the full punishment of the school - I would never subject my children to such garbage as this school dishes out. I am sick and tired of schools trying to control kid's lives outside of the classroom. That is the parent's responsibility, not the school.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:12 pm

Quote :
Heritage Christian School forbids dancing, hand holding and rock music.

In other words, they encourage kids to leave school when they graduate and make up in three weeks what they missed for years. Awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 2:21 pm

He got the book thrown at him huh? That sucks. Maybe it's just me but his school shouldn't have a say in what he can do on his own time away from them. That's his parents' job, and obviously his parents were fine with him going to this prom.

The school's argument is 'well, he signed this pledge to abide by our standards,'... you gotta wonder why anyone would willingly sign such a thing and give a fascist institution like this school control over their life even when they're not inside of their walls!!

Sorry, sorry... ranting. Won't happen again. confused

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 3:03 pm

GrandNational wrote:
These people have lost touch with reality. Westernized "Christianity" has become irrelevant to the max these days.

So very true!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 4:25 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
He got the book thrown at him huh? That sucks. Maybe it's just me but his school shouldn't have a say in what he can do on his own time away from them. That's his parents' job, and obviously his parents were fine with him going to this prom.

The school's argument is 'well, he signed this pledge to abide by our standards,'... you gotta wonder why anyone would willingly sign such a thing and give a fascist institution like this school control over their life even when they're not inside of their walls!!

Sorry, sorry... ranting. Won't happen again. confused

Agree 100%!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 4:32 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
Heritage Christian School forbids dancing, hand holding and rock music.

In other words, they encourage kids to leave school when they graduate and make up in three weeks what they missed for years. Awesome!!!

More like, "they forbid teenagers to do any of the stuff that makes teenage life worth living"

Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 8:22 pm

This is something that gives Christianity a bad name. I am so glad none of the churches I have ever been to had this mindset. I've worn shirts from bands such as Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Alice Cooper, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, etc. and have always been treated well. I hope many people realize most Baptist Churches have dropped the dancing and rock music being evil thing. Unfortunatly, you only hear about radical ones such as this.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 8:44 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
This is something that gives Christianity a bad name. I am so glad none of the churches I have ever been to had this mindset. I've worn shirts from bands such as Megadeth, Blind Guardian, Alice Cooper, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, etc. and have always been treated well. I hope many people realize most Baptist Churches have dropped the dancing and rock music being evil thing. Unfortunatly, you only hear about radical ones such as this.

This is true. The radicals are why Christians are made fun of on The Simpsons.

They are modern day Pharisees.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitimeMon May 11, 2009 8:47 pm

xyz wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

This is true. The radicals are why Christians are made fun of on The Simpsons.

I dont think its so much as radical christians, but legalistic ones you bend the meaning of scripture or come up with their own rules that are the problem. Who cares if your a radical as long as you are going purely off the word IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Schools like this still exist?   Schools like this still exist? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Schools like this still exist?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next