Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Devin Townsend

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
Rex
Runicen
corplhicks
Boris2008
nevermore
Sole Survivor
holydiver97595
Gilbert
chewie
metalhead777
Joe
Thrasher73
James B.
Smindas
GrandNational
mc666
Eyesore
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Devin Townsend - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 27, 2012 9:36 pm

New album cover:

Devin Townsend - Page 4 Epicloudcd

The guy is insane. Between 2009 and 2011, he released four studio albums, an 8-disc box set full of demos and unreleased tracks, plus a 9-disc live box set. And he's already completed a new album! Craziness.

Here is the intro track to Epicloud, called "Effervescent!"

headbanger
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:48 am

I really like the cover. One thing you can say about Devin is that he's proficient.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 1:01 am

Eyesore wrote:

The guy is insane. Between 2009 and 2011, he released four studio albums, an 8-disc box set full of demos and unreleased tracks, plus a 9-disc live box set. And he's already completed a new album! Craziness.
what's even crazier is there isn't a dud among any of them. everything he puts out is just amazing.

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 9:41 am

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

what's even crazier is there isn't a dud among any of them. everything he puts out is just amazing.
Exactly. Even his experimental stuff, like Devlab and Hummer, are really good. Not something you can toss on for a summer drive, but I listen to both Hummer and Devlab while writing all the time, and they're perfect for that sort of thing.

And his little one-off Project EKO thing was really cool, too. The guy is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:59 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Yup, I don't even have to hear the music to his upcoming albums, I just purchase them knowing he'll deliver.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:07 pm

I have some holes in his full catalog, but I have enjoyed everything I've heard. Of course I will be picking this up at some point.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 4:07 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Exactly. Even his experimental stuff, like Devlab and Hummer, are really good. Not something you can toss on for a summer drive, but I listen to both Hummer and Devlab while writing all the time, and they're perfect for that sort of thing.

And his little one-off Project EKO thing was really cool, too. The guy is brilliant.
I've got to admit, I never quite got Hummer and Devlab. Just not quite my thing, to be honest. However, I always loved that Project EKO release - wish he'd done a bit more of that.

As for Epicloud, the teaser sounds like great fun. From everything I've read about the album, it just sounds like a direct follow up to Addicted, which can only be a good thing.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Smindas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I've got to admit, I never quite got Hummer and Devlab. Just not quite my thing, to be honest. However, I always loved that Project EKO release - wish he'd done a bit more of that.

As for Epicloud, the teaser sounds like great fun. From everything I've read about the album, it just sounds like a direct follow up to Addicted, which can only be a good thing.
Hummer and Devlab are distinctly mood albums. I will never listen to either album unless I'm writing or reading.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 pm

Good lord.

This is going to be amazing. Lots of chorus samples here—and they definitely are going for that "epic loud" vibe—so they tend to bleed into each a bit, but it still sounds amazing.

I can definitely hear a Ginger/Wildhearts influence, which I know Devin stated the album would have. Simple, catchy tunes. Of course, simple in Devin's world isn't really that at all, but for him, I guess it is.

Either way, this thing is going to rule my face!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 04, 2012 1:43 pm

Yep, really sounds like a spiritual successor to Addicted. Count me in!

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 12:06 am

What an absolute nutball. Haha.

For some background on why he did this, watch the first few minutes of this video, especially if you're interested in being in the official video—which I'm assuming is going to be way low-rent. Haha.

Anyway, this really reminds of the Infinity album. So cool. Serious Wildhearts influence, too.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 07, 2012 1:17 am

Eyesore wrote:
What an absolute nutball. Haha.

For some background on why he did this, watch the first few minutes of this video, especially if you're interested in being in the official video—which I'm assuming is going to be way low-rent. Haha.

Anyway, this really reminds of the Infinity album. So cool. Serious Wildhearts influence, too.

It would be fun to get inside his head, totally off-the-wall and great.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Anyone else picked it up other than me? I think its great, its even catchier than Addicted. Possibly the best DTP album in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 5:07 pm

Got in the post today, but haven't had a chance to spin it. Will be accompanying me on the way in to work tomorrow. Very excited to hear it.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 5:32 pm

Just picked it up from the post office today. I was bummed that I had to wait to hear it. I so wanted to buy it in Vegas, but I had already pre-ordered it.

I did listen to a number of the tracks on the bonus CD while running errands, and they were all great. Many were in a key of Ghost and Deconstruction, so I guess I understand why they weren't on the main album. But yeah, great stuff. "Quietus" was amazing.

And I also checked out the new version of "Kingdom." I've always loved Physicist and don't understand why Devin has an issue with that album, but this re-recording is bad-ass. Devin's vocals are insane! We all know he can sing, but that operatic voice he's using in the verses is the first time I think I've ever heard him really belt it out that way. Epic is a good word for it.

So yeah, looking forward to devouring this one soon. =)
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 26, 2012 7:09 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Devin's vocals are insane! We all know he can sing, but that operatic voice he's using in the verses is the first time I think I've ever heard him really belt it out that way. Epic is a good word for it.
You took the words out of my mouth.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Yeah, that new version of 'Kingdom' is insane. He's been doing it like that live for the last few years, but those vocals are just brilliant. Glad he re-did it, as the vocals on the original (and really, most of Physicist) are awful.

Span Epicloud a couple of times today and, unsurprisingly, I think it's pretty great. Really nice mix of lots of different elements and yet, still sounding super cohesive. Also really glad Anneke's on it again - her voice at the beginning of 'True North' is beautiful.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 2:26 am

The last released song from this album.

Pretty cool, relaxing tune. This was exclusive to the vinyl edition, and also apparently the Korean 2CD edition. Might have to see about getting that Korean version, if it can be had cheap.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 6:44 am

Love this record! I'm pretty new to DTP so this and Addicted are the instant fall in love records (particularly Addicted which is an apt title in my case) Just getting into Deconstruction, Ghost and Ki now and they are really good, I just find myself wishing that Anneke was on them.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 1:50 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Love this record! I'm pretty new to DTP so this and Addicted are the instant fall in love records (particularly Addicted which is an apt title in my case) Just getting into Deconstruction, Ghost and Ki now and they are really good, I just find myself wishing that Anneke was on them.
Don't ignore the Devin Townsend Band albums, nor his "solo" albums under just the Devin Townsend banner. Really, they're all solo albums as he's always written 99.9% of the music and such. And don't forget Strapping Young Lad!

Either way, you've got a lot of great music to discover, my friend!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 3:06 pm

Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Is the Devlab album similar to Hummer?
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 3:29 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Don't ignore the Devin Townsend Band albums, nor his "solo" albums under just the Devin Townsend banner. Really, they're all solo albums as he's always written 99.9% of the music and such. And don't forget Strapping Young Lad!

Either way, you've got a lot of great music to discover, my friend!

I intend to check it all out (I'm pretty hooked) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 4:18 pm

nevermore wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Is the Devlab album similar to Hummer?
Yes. Sort of. Both are obviously ambient/atmospheric kind of albums, but The Hummer works on lower frequencies. Devlab has a lot more going on, with samples and odd recordings and stuff.

If you dig The Hummer, though, you'll dig Devlab.

For noobs, those are the two albums to be wary of. They're NOTHING like his normal output. These are albums you listen to with headphones, while reading or writing or just zoning out.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 6:01 pm

Eyesore wrote:

For noobs, those are the two albums to be wary of. They're NOTHING like his normal output. These are albums you listen to with headphones, while reading or writing or just zoning out.
perfect for sparking up a fatty. Cool

Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2013 6:45 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

perfect for sparking up a fatty. Cool
Or that. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Devin Townsend
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next