Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Devin Townsend

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
Rex
Runicen
corplhicks
Boris2008
nevermore
Sole Survivor
holydiver97595
Gilbert
chewie
metalhead777
Joe
Thrasher73
James B.
Smindas
GrandNational
mc666
Eyesore
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 3:04 am

Devin's getting heavy again. I'm looking forward to Ghost, because I love that mellow stuff he does, but Deconstruction, from what he's said, is supposed to brutal.

Sounds awesome! Funny video, too. Haha.

Last edited by Eyesore on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 3:35 am

not bad at all... i loved his stuff with Anneke though, too bad they couldn't continue together in some fashion. Addicted is near perfect to me.

GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 3:36 am

I love Devin. Pure musical genius. His humor is great too. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:53 am

Saw the video yesterday, it was great. That drummer is rather incredible. Also, the song names are fantastic - I don't think metal can get more honest than "Mad At My Dad".

I'm far more looking to Ghost than this, but Deconstruction certainly sounds like it's shaping up well. It'll probably be a bit of a step down from Addicted for me but that's because Addicted was pretty much exactly what I want from music, ha.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12645

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:51 am

Devin's music is like an old friend.... Does things ya love, does things ya like, and does things that make you wonder why ? But in the end, you know it's real.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:54 am

mc666 wrote:
not bad at all... i loved his stuff with Anneke though, too bad they couldn't continue together in some fashion. Addicted is near perfect to me.
I think that very same thing about almost all of his solo stuff.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 11:58 am

Devins Great,funny guy and highly talented.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Excellent! Was just listening to Ziltoid today. I can't wait!

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 12:11 am

This guy cracks me up! Listen to what Ziltoid (aka Devin) says in the songs. Haha.

By the way, these games seem really hard.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeWed Jan 26, 2011 2:13 pm

Yeah, I saw those vids earlier. Couldn't stop cracking up. Isn't a second Ziltoid album on the cards at some point? I'd love that.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeWed Feb 16, 2011 9:57 pm

The best album of 2011 is almost here.

And if anyone is familiar with epic "Processional" from the Christine EP, I think he used part of is for "The Mighty Masturbator." It plays around the 6:46 mark.

Can't wait for this one! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 4:34 am

I originally thought I was going to much prefer Ghost, but the most recent slew of orchestra-related trailers for Deconstruction has made me reconsider that. Also, apparently guesting on it are Ihsahn, Mikael Akerfeldt and Floor Jansen (amongst others, I think).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 4:50 am

Floor Jansen? BOING! Man, I love that chick.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 5:30 pm

On a related note, turns out I'm definitely doing a phone interview with Devin tomorrow for our uni's mag. I'm still utterly surprised Devin's promotion company came to our mag, seeing as we're hardly renowned for writing about metal, but I'm certainly not complaining! Now, just to get Skype set up to do international calling...

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:17 pm

Very cool, bro! Ask the good questions! Like...ask him if the Tree of the Sun and Blastula and the Satanitones stuff he did with Newsted will ever get released. He mentioned in an old interview that he's sure someone will find it someday, but I'd rather know if Devin has copies of those tunes which he can "have stolen and leaked online." Haha.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Ahh, good shout. I had completely forgotten about that. It's only a twenty minute interview but I'll try and squeeze it in! Any other obscure, fanboy questions? I was just going to ask about Cooked on Phonics ;P

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 pm

What about Cooked on Phonics?

I don't think there's anything else. Though I am always curious about unreleased stuff that may someday see release.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeThu Feb 17, 2011 8:36 pm

Cant wait. I'm still hating that SYL is gone but i can live with this!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:29 am

Eyesore wrote:
Ah, nothing particularly special question-wise. Just general stuff about how it came about etc. I assume most of it is a dig at Green Day, but to do an entire album is a dedicated dig. I always think it's a bit of an oddity in his discography but I love it to bits.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 4:42 am

Smindas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Ah, nothing particularly special question-wise. Just general stuff about how it came about etc. I assume most of it is a dig at Green Day, but to do an entire album is a dedicated dig. I always think it's a bit of an oddity in his discography but I love it to bits.
From what I know, it was something of a goof. I think it was written and recorded in five days, which is pretty amazing considering how good it is. Devin, if I remember correctly, called the record company and said something like, "Give me $1,500 and I'll give you a record in a week." And he did.

I don't know if it's a dig on Green Day, though. They never changed; they were pop punk from day one. Maybe it was more metaphorical. Or maybe it was about Pyogenesis.

The Evolution of Pyogenesis.

Crazy! The first few albums are great. And then around Twinaleblood it all began to go poopy.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeFri Feb 18, 2011 5:01 am

Oh. Wow. That's really a lot of change - especially that dance track. Yeah, it's certainly more likely a dig at Pyogenesis then. The Twinaleblood almost sounds like Troublegum era Therapy? without the edge.

I only mentioned Green Day because they get pointed out by name at one point. I always saw it as criticising pop-punk as a whole, just because there are those interview sound-bites with fictional characters saying things like "This ain't punk, punk hasn't been punk since real bloody punk!". Think I'm going to have crank Cooked On Phonics in the gym this morning now, haha.

EDIT: Just got to the 'Africa' cover. Oh dear.

Also, definitely asking about Dev's brief stint in the Wildhearts.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:19 pm

Bam.

Didn't get to ask everything I intended to but that's fine. It was probably all done in a hugely unprofessional manner, but I enjoyed it regardless haha.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 1:49 pm

That dudes a crack up... I liked the interview.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 3:59 pm

Very cool, bro. Wouldn't it be killer if he played "Fake Punk?" That would be awesome!

Bummer that he won't do any SYL on the tour. A number of songs from The New Black are far more like Devin Townsend songs than SYL. He should play a couple of those.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitimeSat Feb 19, 2011 4:28 pm

If he actually does play 'Fake Punk', I will be overjoyed. He seemed pretty receptive to the idae, so here's hoping!

I know what you mean about The New Black, songs like 'Hope' and 'Almost Again' are basically just solo Dev to my ears. But the impression I get is Dev wants to just write off the entire SYL thing because he associates it so much with negative emotion.

Devin Townsend Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Devin Townsend
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next