Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Devin Townsend

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
Rex
Runicen
corplhicks
Boris2008
nevermore
Sole Survivor
holydiver97595
Gilbert
chewie
metalhead777
Joe
Thrasher73
James B.
Smindas
GrandNational
mc666
Eyesore
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Devin Townsend - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 2:31 pm

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 4:15 pm

I just barely started listening to his stuff. All I knew about him before was that he debuted on a Steve Vai album and eventually had a big cult following for his band SYL (whom I had seen once at a Dark Angel reunion show) because Gene Hoglan was the drummer.

Devin is definitely “out there” with his music and production, but that’s what sets him apart and makes it interesting. There’s too many bands following the same tired formulas over and over. We need the occasional oddball guys like Mark Mothersbaugh from Devo and David Byrne from Talking Heads to push the boundaries of music with their weirdness.

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 6:10 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I imagine that's what the soundtrack in the mind of a serial killer would sound like.

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 7:34 pm

mc666 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
No shitting out another Epicloud here!

Old post, I know... but you didn't like Epicloud? Aside from Addicted, It's my favorite album by him.

Even later reply I know. I love Epicloud and Addicted is my favourite DTP album but Devin was not all that happy with the pressure that Epicloud's success brought and by the time he wanted to do another Ziltoid record the record company would only fund his 'stupid farting alien' record if he accompanied it with a more commercially viable record which he did (Sky Blue) which was something that he described as 'shitting out another Epicloud' just to keep the suits happy.

Personally I love Sky Blue as well but am glad that he isn't prepared to settle into a formula just because it's what sells. I hope in five years time he gets back together with DTP and AVG and does another but not yet.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 10 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 7:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Posted this on Facebook, so I'm just gonna copy it here...

Holy crap! I watched a snippet of this last week when I was in South Carolina and thought Devin was just goofing, pretending a fake song was a new track, like Matt Smith used to do when a new Theocracy album was coming out (seriously, check those out; they're hilarious).

But...this is legit! Wow! I was so confused at first, and it took a few listens, but I effing LOVE this song. It's like the schizophrenic bastard child of "Processional." This guy is unreal.

Minimize the video. It's stupid. Just listen and expect the unexpected. The seriously unexpected. This song is ridiculous!

Loved it on first listen! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 10 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2019 12:51 pm

^^Like I said earlier in this thread, what the fuck did I just watch hear?? Shocked

That's seriously a breathtaking tune. Devin's been...growing on me. Which is weird, because the more I listen to his stuff (and gawd there is a LOT of stuff) the more I realize it's my kind of jazz, even though he branches and segments a whole host of subgenres. I guess it was just a whole new level of music that I wasn't used to but now is taking more shape. And the more I listen, the more of a genius I realize he is.

I started by absorbing Transcendence for a couple spins. There's something truly cinematic about that album, almost a visual quality achieved through liquid sonic layers. He's got a great and unusual sense of melody. On top of it all, he's a technical wizard with composition. Higher, my favorite track of Transcendence, is a great example of this. What a roller coaster. It sent me on my way towards the likes of Ocean Machine, Epicloud, Ghost, and getting in deeper with SYL (honestly, SYL exhausts me after two or three tracks; amazing stuff but more brutal than even most death metal that I favor). I'm repeatedly getting my mind blown.

I'm also a big fan of unpredictable music, and that is exactly what Devin writes. Or at least from what I've heard, and I've only gotten through the top soil of the rabbit hole. Reminds me of taking a journey through Zappa's catalog a few years back. Wild.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 10 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2019 5:22 pm

Holy shit!! humble
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 10 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Devin Townsend
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10