Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Devin Townsend

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
Rex
Runicen
corplhicks
Boris2008
nevermore
Sole Survivor
holydiver97595
Gilbert
chewie
metalhead777
Joe
Thrasher73
James B.
Smindas
GrandNational
mc666
Eyesore
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Devin Townsend - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2015 2:59 pm

Not sure if this is complete interview; there may be some more parts coming. But these three parts are great. Really love this guy's honesty.

http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/devin-townsend-interview-part-1
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/devin-townsend-interview-part-2
http://www.decibelmagazine.com/featured/devin-townsend-interview-part-3
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2015 3:47 am

Devin's upcoming project sounds like it'll be pretty badass!

Quote :
Townsend also spoke about the next project he is working on which will take up much of the remainder of the year. He said: "I'm writing a symphony, and I'm gonna record it in Belgium, in Surround Sound, with a visual counterpart. And it's gonna be a hybrid. It's gonna have a lot of instruments that are not typical for orchestral stuff. And it's gonna be a combination of everything. 'Cause typically in the past, I would do STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, or I'd do 'Ki', or 'Ghost', or something. But I wanna put it together. I wanna have something that goes between the extremes of beautiful — like really, really sublime and beautiful — to just total chaos, like hellish apocalypse. And I'd like to have a point to it that isn't a story. I'd like to have it to do with human things, emotions that I currently struggle with, 'cause I don't find myself emotionally very intelligent. So the things that happened in my life that forced me to learn it are also inspiring — loss or sadness or happiness or embarrassment, or any of these things. And so my plan is to make something that is massive in scope, but is not bombast totally."

He continued: "The bottom line is music, for me, is an exhaust port for life, and if I have a chaotic year, then I'm gonna write a chaotic record, and that's what happened with 'Ziltoid', with 'Z2'. So asking the people close to me to lay off the work will allow me, in my mind, to not write something that's chaos, but have something where the chaos is something that I can manage and control and turn into dynamic, as opposed to just an onslaught."

headbanger
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 15, 2016 12:14 pm

Devin Townsend - Page 9 7tsp5oitwve

New album up for pre order. I bagged me the picture disc with signed certificate.

Hopefully it will be heavy. According to reports it's heavy and huge! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 12:03 am

put me down for interested in this release
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 11:40 am

I'm in.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 16, 2016 12:39 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
Devin Townsend - Page 9 7tsp5oitwve

New album up for pre order. I bagged me the picture disc with signed certificate.

Hopefully it will be heavy. According to reports it's heavy and huge! Very Happy

I'll pre-order soon. I'm excited to get to see him live in Sept.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 11:44 am

Can't wait for this one.

I've got that book on pre-order, too. Hope the music that comes with it is cool.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 8:59 am

This reminds me that I should try to get in on the pre-orders for the book...

Any word yet as to the style Devin was going for on the new album? I'm not expecting a huge divergence from Sky Blue or Epicloud, but with DT, you never know...
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 8:06 pm

No shitting out another Epicloud here! I really like this (although I really liked Sky Blue too) This actually sound like he's trying to do something fresh.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 12:36 am

Boris2008 wrote:
No shitting out another Epicloud here! I really like this (although I really liked Sky Blue too) This actually sound like he's trying to do something fresh.

Very Happy

It's got a bit of that djent thing going on with the main riff. I dig it. Though I have no complaints about any of his albums, it's definitely good to hear some new flavors with DTP.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 12:05 am

So the new Devin Townsend Project album, Transcendence, is pretty goddamn amazing. I don't know how this guy does it. Even the bonus disc of demos is fantastic. Of course most of Devin's demos sound better than other bands' studio tracks, so it's basically a double album.

Should have the Japanese edition soon. It has three additional bonus tracks.

And speaking of Devin...

Such a shame he never recorded that power/heavy metal album he said he wanted to record long ago. =(
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 12:14 pm

That accept cover is simply awesome.

I am not familiar with devin nor do i own any of his albums. As a matter of fact i have no clue where to start and i don't know if any of his albums meets the classic heavy metal sound that i like.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Gilbert wrote:

I am not familiar with devin nor do i own any of his albums. As a matter of fact i have no clue where to start and i don't know if any of his albums meets the classic heavy metal sound that i like.

Devin's music is hard to describe. It is not, however, anything near classic heavy metal. His stuff is all over the place, but not there. His Strapping Young Lad project is closer to industrial/death metal (except The New Black, which is more like his solo stuff), but a fairly unique sound. The bulk of the rest of his stuff under the variation of Devin Townsend monikers are best described as "progressive," but even that's not accurate. He really has a sound all his own and most of his albums have a pretty unique sound unto themselves.

Best thing to do, if you're curious, is just jump on YouTube and give things a listen.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

Devin's music is hard to describe. It is not, however, anything near classic heavy metal. His stuff is all over the place, but not there. His Strapping Young Lad project is closer to industrial/death metal (except The New Black, which is more like his solo stuff), but a fairly unique sound. The bulk of the rest of his stuff under the variation of Devin Townsend monikers are best described as "progressive," but even that's not accurate. He really has a sound all his own and most of his albums have a pretty unique sound unto themselves.

Best thing to do, if you're curious, is just jump on YouTube and give things a listen.

That's what i am doing right now. Not bad. Devin does have lots of talent.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 2:37 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Gilbert wrote:

That's what i am doing right now. Not bad. Devin does have lots of talent.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 7:34 pm

I agree with Eyesore that the new album is amazing. He seems to have purposefully gone in a more grown up direction (no farting aliens on this one) and the result has real weight.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 7:44 pm

Gilbert wrote:

Devin does do a mean Judas Priest cover or two

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 8:34 pm

I always really liked his version of Rush's Natural Science.

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2016 10:56 pm

He does a great Sinatra, too.

Okay, not really. Sinatra sucks even when Devin does it, but it's at least better than the original. Haha. Great vocal performance, though. Dude is a beast in that department and he doesn't even know it.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2016 12:52 am

Boris2008 wrote:
No shitting out another Epicloud here!

Old post, I know... but you didn't like Epicloud? Aside from Addicted, It's my favorite album by him.

nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2016 12:48 pm

mc666 wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
No shitting out another Epicloud here!

Old post, I know... but you didn't like Epicloud? Aside from Addicted, It's my favorite album by him.

Epicloud is a great album!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 12:43 pm

Posted this on Facebook, so I'm just gonna copy it here...

Holy crap! I watched a snippet of this last week when I was in South Carolina and thought Devin was just goofing, pretending a fake song was a new track, like Matt Smith used to do when a new Theocracy album was coming out (seriously, check those out; they're hilarious).

But...this is legit! Wow! I was so confused at first, and it took a few listens, but I effing LOVE this song. It's like the schizophrenic bastard child of "Processional." This guy is unreal.

Minimize the video. It's stupid. Just listen and expect the unexpected. The seriously unexpected. This song is ridiculous!
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 12:53 pm

I can recognize his talent but there's too much going on. Guess I'm too simple for post rock/metal music.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 1:27 pm

Dark Horseman wrote:
I can recognize his talent but there's too much going on. Guess I'm too simple for post rock/metal music.

It took me a few spins for it to all gel.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 26, 2019 2:18 pm

I imagine that's what the soundtrack in the mind of a serial killer would sound like.

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Devin Townsend
Page 9 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next