Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Devin Townsend

Go down 
+18
Wurthless
Rex
Runicen
corplhicks
Boris2008
nevermore
Sole Survivor
holydiver97595
Gilbert
chewie
metalhead777
Joe
Thrasher73
James B.
Smindas
GrandNational
mc666
Eyesore
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

Devin Townsend - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 7:45 am

I ordered the two-disc. I think I'll hold out until the second disc is available for download as well. I probably won't make it until the physical release of the thing before laying ears on it though.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 1:45 pm

I was surprised to hear they're already mixing the DTP album. They're tracking guitars and such on Z2; I had no idea they'd even started DTP, let alone nearly finished it.
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 14, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm kind of hoping the Casualties CDs start shipping out around the same time the Z2/DTP CDs end up in stores. That would be a joyous day, indeed!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu May 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Finally have a chance to listen to the Casualties album - just over half way through it and am really enjoying it. Great night music, like a relaxed and more ethereal version of Ki.

Curious what the second disc is though. I remember someone mentioning it might be the long-awaited Ghost II collection, but no idea how true that is.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 12:05 am

I really enjoy this one. It's not what I expected. Yeah, the Ki stuff is there, as is that trademark Devin Townsend ambiance, but there's a lot of swamp boogie in the mix and stuff that sounds like a soundtrack to driving through the desert at night, alone on the highway kind of stuff, you know. And it has this "out of time" kind of sound, like it was recorded from or for a long-gone era.

That's probably way too wordy. F*ck it. I dig it quite a bit. =)
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 16, 2014 2:50 am

No, I totally get what you mean - it's a lot more classic folk and swamp based than I expected as well, except with some trademark Devin weirdness to it. For a Devin album, it's also incredibly stripped back instrumentally, which is actually quite a nice change. But yeah, definitely a great night-time album.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 1:34 am

Smindas wrote:
Finally have a chance to listen to the Casualties album - just over half way through it and am really enjoying it. Great night music, like a relaxed and more ethereal version of Ki.

Curious what the second disc is though. I remember someone mentioning it might be the long-awaited Ghost II collection, but no idea how true that is.

Anyone get an e-mail about the entire thing being released, disc two as well? I saw a download of it on a NewAlbumReleases.net, then had to go check Devin's Facebook page. Lame.

Anyway, here's the tracklist for disc 2:

01 – Ghost Wives
02 – Drained
03 – Dig For Gold
04 – Dead Eyes
05 – Drench
06 – Mend
07 – Where You’ve Been
08 – Gone Is Gone
09 – Fight
10 – Glass World
11 – Aquarius
12 – Perspective
13 – Moonshine

Looks like it's at least partially Ghost 2. "Fall" and "Watch You" are missing, as well as the previously mentioned "Coming Home" and "Saloon"; but "Drench" and "Mend" are there and "Perspective" and "Moonshine" were mentioned as Ghost 2 tracks. So who knows if it's Ghost 2 or not.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 4:10 am

Yep, got an email from Pledge about it last night - I've downloaded it, but I'm still digesting the first album so I'm going to ignore it for a little bit.

Saw a tweet from Dev, apparently it's not Ghost 2 after all - "fwiw, disk 2 is just a bonus disk...not a real 'album'... in a similar way to 'Epiclouder'". It's a shame that Ghost 2 never got a proper release then, as I wanted to hear more stuff like 'Watch You' - probably one of Dev's best songs, as far as I'm concerned.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 9:20 am

Its on Spotify
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 10:03 am

Started to go through the main album. Downloaded the bonus, but haven't even touched it yet.

Very interesting vibe. A bluesy Ki.

Where has the info on Ghost 2 been coming from? I didn't know that Dev had released any info on that whatsoever with all of the Z2 talk flying about...
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue May 20, 2014 1:21 pm

Really enjoying Casualties. Great album to listen to at night when you can just kick your feet up and relax.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeWed May 21, 2014 2:45 am

Runicen wrote:
Started to go through the main album.  Downloaded the bonus, but haven't even touched it yet.

Very interesting vibe.  A bluesy Ki.  

Where has the info on Ghost 2 been coming from?  I didn't know that Dev had released any info on that whatsoever with all of the Z2 talk flying about...

It was announced way back when Ghost came out. Originally it was supposed to be a Ghost/Ghost 2 double album, but then Devin decided to release it separately as an EP, I think, then later a full-length. But then I guess he eventually decided the material wasn't strong enough. Silly, of course, because the songs slated for it that have been released are great. The tracklisting was to be:

01. Radial Highway
02. Drench
03. Mend
04. Fall
05. Watch You
06. Moonshine
07. Perspective
08. Coming Home
09. Saloon

"Drench" and "Watch You" were given away when you preordered Ghost or maybe one of the other four from that time. I forget. "Mend" and "Fall" were released digitally elsewhere. Can't remember where. "Radial Highway" showed up as an iTunes bonus track to Ghost (and it's a brilliant song, by the way). Not sure what happened to the rest of the songs. Maybe some parts ended up on Casualties, as he suggested a good while back.

Travis Smith even created artwork for the album:

Devin Townsend - Page 7 Dtpg2
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 3:00 am

Looks like 'Moonshine' and 'Perspective' made it to the bonus disc of Casualties. An acoustic version of 'Saloon' was released on the Unplugged EP he did a little while back, but looks like 'Coming Home' completely disappeared.

As an aside, that Unplugged EP was an absolute gem. I'd love to hear another set of his songs done in that style. I saw him do an acoustic show a few years back, and the very of 'Hyperdrive' he did was incredible (which he reprised at The Retinal Circus, so at least there's some version of it).

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 23, 2014 7:39 am

Smindas wrote:
Looks like 'Moonshine' and 'Perspective' made it to the bonus disc of Casualties. An acoustic version of 'Saloon' was released on the Unplugged EP he did a little while back, but looks like 'Coming Home' completely disappeared.

As an aside, that Unplugged EP was an absolute gem. I'd love to hear another set of his songs done in that style. I saw him do an acoustic show a few years back, and the very of 'Hyperdrive' he did was incredible (which he reprised at The Retinal Circus, so at least there's some version of it).

Honestly, I'm not sure if I ever listened to that Unplugged album. I have it, but it looks like I never ripped it. The CD is somewhere in storage now, so who knows when I'll see it again. Guess I'll have to download it. =(
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 24, 2014 7:13 am

You owe it to yourself to give it a spin, even if it means downloading it. It's incredibly chilled out.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 3:17 pm

I'm assuming this is a new DTP song. Doesn't really sound like something that'll be on the Ziltoid album. Sounds awesome, though.

Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 6:25 am

Isn't the new Ziltoid half DTP, half Ziltoid anyway? It's all very confusing. Sounds cool any way. That man has some pipes.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2014 2:44 pm

Smindas wrote:
Isn't the new Ziltoid half DTP, half Ziltoid anyway? It's all very confusing. Sounds cool any way. That man has some pipes.

Yeah it's going to be a Ziltoid versus DTP, or something like that. Ziltoid on one disc, and DTP on the other.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 12:25 am

So Devin posted a new picture of him and Steve Vai the other day. Then today, Dug and Devin posted pics of them together at a studio, said they were going to lunch. However, the mention of a studio has me kind of excited. Might be that Dug and Steve are guests on the upcoming Ziltoid and/or DTP albums. =)
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 8:19 am

Eyesore wrote:
So Devin posted a new picture of him and Steve Vai the other day. Then today, Dug and Devin posted pics of them together at a studio, said they were going to lunch. However, the mention of a studio has me kind of excited. Might be that Dug and Steve are guests on the upcoming Ziltoid and/or DTP albums. =)

No complaints if so. Dev has this way of using his album guests to the full, and that in itself is a rare skill!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 am

You can hear some rough demos of Z2 tracks here: http://universalchoir.insideoutmusic.com. You can also contribute your own vocals. Pretty cool thing, actually. I'd do it if I still have recording equipment.

Demos or not, it sounds awesome (the "all in" streams on the right sound best). "Dimension Z" sounds like a long lost Terria track.
Back to top Go down
metalhead777
Metal master
Metal master
metalhead777

Number of posts : 842

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 22, 2014 5:22 pm

Guitar tracks for Z2 are sounding about as good as I expected. Really spacey sounding stuff.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 7:15 am

Heh.

Devin Townsend - Page 7 10527292_844957362196254_6144270608113680794_n
Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 8:14 am

Hah! Yeah. Saw this on the book of Face. The sad part is, I totally didn't expect it. Dev does like to hide his ideas and parodies in plain sight.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Honestly, I hope he moves on from the Ziltoid thing after this. As great as the first album is, he runs the chance of making it all a bit hokey if he takes it too far. It's a gimmick that has it's limits, I think.

The first album is so good, though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Devin Townsend   Devin Townsend - Page 7 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Devin Townsend
Page 7 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next