Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist

Go down 
+29
nevermore
Boris2008
speed101
mikeinfla
James B.
jstate
TheDoctor'sScarf
DeathCult
metalinmyveins
Eyesore
arttieTHE1manparty
Getizzyback
Troublezone
Gilbert
Lurideath
Leatherface
Schbopo
MetalGuy71
ultmetal
kmorg
Shawn Of Fire
Waylon
exact33
krokus
thejokeriv
Metal Misfit
Fat Freddy
manny
33 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Empty
PostSubject: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 3:51 pm

Personally I think the band should be left as part of metal history but here is the story:

After the tragic passing of co-founding Quiet Riot singer Kevin DuBrow in 2007, many figured that the band was over. But while going through the vaults of vintage video material for an upcoming documentary of the band's history, the spark was reignited once more for drummer Frankie Banali to kick the band back in gear. The easy part was filling the guitar and bass slots - as former members Chuck Wright (bass) and Alex Grossi (guitar) promptly signed on. However, having to fill DuBrow's large shoes was no small task.

A longtime fan of heavy metal, singer Mark Huff came to Banali's attention while fronting a California-based Van Halen tribute band (that focused on the "Sammy Hagar era"). A true Cinderella story, Huff auditioned via a cattle call audition, promptly blew Banali away, and got the gig. After getting the blessing from DuBrow's mother to carry on with Quiet Riot (and to celebrate her son's music), the group was ready to rock once more.

Quiet Riot had major success with their first-ever US release in 1983, the classic 'Metal Health.' Spawning two hit singles that have gone on to become synonymous with heavy metal - "Cum On Feel the Noize" and "Metal Health" - the 'Metal Health' album went on to become the first-ever metal US debut to hit the #1 spot on the Billboard album charts, and resulted in a solid year of sold-out arena shows and non-stop MTV video airplay. However, it was the DuBrow-Banali-Wright-Grossi line-up that proved to be DuBrow's favorite touring line-up (and also, most stable).

Quiet Riot is currently firming up plans for a full U.S. tour - their first in three years. And with the aforementioned documentary on the horizon, and the band's music being used in hit films ('The Wrestler,' 'Tropic Thunder'), video games ('Guitar Hero Encore: Rocks the 80's'), and even musicals ('Rock of Ages') - as well as QR being name-checked in songs by Weezer and Ben Folds - Quiet Riot remains a major force in heavy metal. And soon, you will get a chance to bang your head once more to Quiet Riot, at a concert venue near you.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Uhhhh... yeah, OK. Good luck with this one, Frankie.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:22 pm

Not really sure how I feel about this. I don't mind Frankie going out and playing QR songs but it doesn't feel right for him to revive the band after DuBrow's death and after him swearing QR would never play again. Then again, I guess as long as they have the blessing of the DuBrow family, who are we to judge?

In addition to an eye towards a new album, they're also supposedly going to be re-recording some of their hits. I especially don't like that. Isn't that going to be taking away money from the DuBrow family?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:28 pm

There's a sample on QR's official MySpace of the new guy singing a medley of their songs:
http://www.myspace.com/officialquietriot

Sounds...ehhh...OK, I guess. Dunno if I'd buy a new CD by this lineup, but if they came thru my area I might go to jam out to the oldies.

New Lineup Pic:
Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Qr2010

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:34 pm

What is up with the whole "Hire a singer from a tribute band" thing these days? I guess in this case, it is OK, since this version of Quiet Riot is nothing but a Quiet Riot tribute band.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
There's a sample on QR's official MySpace of the new guy singing a medley of their songs:
http://www.myspace.com/officialquietriot

Sounds...ehhh...OK, I guess. Dunno if I'd buy a new CD by this lineup, but if they came thru my area I might go to jam out to the oldies.

New Lineup Pic:
Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Qr2010

I saw and heard it out of curio, I was not impressed, it sounds more like a tribute act to me, plus IMO Kevin dubrow was the heart and soul of Quiet Riot, but I wish him the best of luck, this version of Quiet Riot is going to need it.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:36 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
What is up with the whole "Hire a singer from a tribute band" thing these days? I guess in this case, it is OK, since this version of Quiet Riot is nothing but a Quiet Riot tribute band.

It is funny I said the same thing more or less.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Well, in some cases it has worked extremely well, ala Journey. If the music is good I could be interested in this but we'll see.
Back to top Go down
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:58 pm

If ACCEPT can comeback with a strong album without UDO, QUIET RIOT can do the same. They are not to blame that Kevin died of a cocain overdose. Only because he died, the rest of the guys should stop QUIET RIOT??? NO!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:26 pm

Frankie said he would never do this. I can't believe he did. That guy sucks. Grossi was in the band just for their last tour. He's hardly a member. UGH. Well, I guess someone needs to play the county fairs of America, but I won't be supporting them.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39631

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 6:43 pm

Might be okay but without Dubrow it's not really Quiet Riot.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:12 pm

krokus wrote:
If ACCEPT can comeback with a strong album without UDO, QUIET RIOT can do the same. They are not to blame that Kevin died of a cocain overdose. Only because he died, the rest of the guys should stop QUIET RIOT??? NO!!!!!!!

I would agree with the above. Accept was the first thing to come to my mind as well.. I guess we will see if Aerosmith can pull it off in the not to distant future..

manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 10:25 pm

exact33 wrote:
krokus wrote:

I would agree with the above. Accept was the first thing to come to my mind as well.. I guess we will see if Aerosmith can pull it off in the not to distant future..

It worked with Accept because Udo was not only creative force in that band, while I do not believe that Aerosmith will continue without Steven Tyler, nor do I think it would be accepted, Tyler is again not only creative person in that band.

Banali may have managed the band but at the end of the day it was Kevin Dubrow's baby, he was the only original member left, he was the main and most of the time only songwriter in the band, and even people who think Quiet Riot are crap, identify the band by his vocals and stage presence. It will not work, except on the oldies circuit.
Back to top Go down
Waylon
Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:43 pm

Why? Why? Why? Why not just start a new band, with new songs, throwing in MANY Quiet Riot covers in concert? NO! NO! NO!
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:50 pm

I think his declaration a couple years ago about how he would "never" do this, because he felt it would be disrespectful to Kevin and to fans, is the biggest hurdle here...had he kept his mouth shut then, it may be a little easier to swallow now.

The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:51 pm

manny wrote:
exact33 wrote:
krokus wrote:

It worked with Accept because Udo was not only creative force in that band, while I do not believe that Aerosmith will continue without Steven Tyler, nor do I think it would be accepted, Tyler is again not only creative person in that band.

Banali may have managed the band but at the end of the day it was Kevin Dubrow's baby, he was the only original member left, he was the main and most of the time only songwriter in the band, and even people who think Quiet Riot are crap, identify the band by his vocals and stage presence. It will not work, except on the oldies circuit.

It will be interesting to watch all these things unfold. I agree with you in most parts but I think Perry is annoyed enough with Tyler (again) that he might just try...

exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:52 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I think his declaration a couple years ago about how he would "never" do this, because he felt it would be disrespectful to Kevin and to fans, is the biggest hurdle here...had he kept his mouth shut then, it may be a little easier to swallow now.

money talks!

kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Did anyone listen to the medley? This dude sounds uncannily close to Dubrow.

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 1:00 pm

kmorg wrote:

No he doesn't.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 1:00 pm

exact33 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

money talks!

Yes it does....

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

SpectreFate wrote:
kmorg wrote:

No he doesn't.

Eh, yes he does Very Happy

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 1:09 pm

I'll check 'em out.

I really dig Molly Hatchet even with a new vocalist replacing the deceased Danny Joe Brown. Who knows, it could be good and at least it keeps the music and memory of Kevin alive.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate

Number of posts : 305

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 1:28 pm

Ult, if they come anywhere close... I admit I will most likely have to go see them, BUT I still say they shold have changed the band name. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 1:49 pm

I can't wait for Jimmy Bain's reformation of the DIO band. The singer will sound just like DIO, so it will be awesome!
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 2:01 pm

This just in: Jorn Lande is the new vocalist for the band Dio!

Mike Portnoy will be sitting behind the kit as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist   Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quiet Riot returns with a new vocalist
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next