Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?

Go down 
+33
Troublezone
shamgar75
DallasBlack
Jesusandmetal23
stormspell
mr.electric39
kmorg
nevermore
Sutekh
chewie
Lari
mez
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
Joe
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
fingers
MetalRob331
mc666
Gilbert
Eyesore
Metal Misfit
ultmetal
bassman
manny
Ben Grimm
Alex Dee Rokket
powermacho
ZetaReticuli
Wargod
A Handful of Wayne
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 4:55 pm

ultmetal wrote:
He was probably bored playing with DT. I know I was the last couple times I've seen the live. Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Affraid

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 5:40 pm

Oh well, I've been indifferent with everything they did after the first two albums, so maybe it was logical to happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 7:39 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
Most guys listed so far couldn't handle Portnoy's material.

I disagree...I think Zonder, Jarzombeck, Hoglan or Tempesta could handle it fine.

Yeah I have to disagree as well.They need someone to put the balls back in their metal.Thats why I mentioned Hoglan or Lombardo.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 12:02 am

I just listened to Portnoy's interview on Eddie Trunk... and I agree with Trunk, i think this thing will not last, and Portnoy will be back within a year or two.
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 1:57 am

nevermore wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Ultimatum would like to announce the addition of Mike Portnoy to congas and tambourine.

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_razz

lol!

x 1000!! I would travel a LONG way to see that live show. headbanger
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 3:35 am

I think Kirkpatrick would be a great replacement for Portnoy. They both have similar styles.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 4:13 pm

"Reunion" tour in 5 years tops...

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 2:17 pm

Sad to see my favorite drummer out of one of my favorite bands. I too was growing tired of DT until they released the stellar Black Clouds album which rekindled my fandom. But now they have the difficult task of replacing Portnoy and who knows how much that will effect future material. However, I'm inclined to agree that he'll be back some day. Splits from long time band members usually don't last too long.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Ben Grimm
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 4:48 pm

Too bad The Rev from A7X is not available
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
shamgar75
Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:15 pm

Wow. Well it's his life. 25 years is a good chunk of time. It's true that he does have lots of side work, but DT was always his main focus.

We'll see what happens with him.

As far as DT, I'll be curious to see who they get. Heck I still think Kevin Moore is still missed. Derek and Jordan are very good, but Kevin really fit DT like a glove. So we'll see what happens.

don\'t know
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:26 pm

shamgar75 wrote:
Wow. Well it's his life. 25 years is a good chunk of time. It's true that he does have lots of side work, but DT was always his main focus.

As far as DT, I'll be curious to see who they get. Heck I still think Kevin Moore is still missed. Derek and Jordan are very good, but Kevin really fit DT like a glove. So we'll see what happens.

don\'t know

I think I shall agree with that statement seeing as Kevin is my favorite keyboardist.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 12:39 am

DallasBlack wrote:
shamgar75 wrote:

don\'t know

I think I shall agree with that statement seeing as Kevin is my favorite keyboardist.

+2 on that....

Hey DB, have you seen the soundtrack, Shine, that Kevin Moore is putting out soon? Check It out here:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kmo/shine-soundtrack-to-a-turkish-film-0
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:04 am

I bet Virgil Donati's phone has been ringing off the hook since last week...haha!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:25 am

Gene Hoglan could easily handle Dream Theater.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 8:59 am

I don't see them picking a Metal guy...I see them getting a Prog guy...

mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 9:10 am

His sister's statement:

Mike Portnoy's sister Samantha has posted a message on her brother's website addressing his decision to leave Dream Theater, the band he formed and led for 25 years. Here is what she posted:

"Before I write this, understand that this is MY statement. Mike might kill me for speaking up, but I just can't sit by quietly. I guess I'm like Mike in that way.

PLEASE stop reading between the lines with this whole situation. There is no hidden meaning in all of this (is there ever with Mike? The guy is an open book with his fans!!).

Everything Mike said in his interview with Eddie Trunk, in his press release or otherwise is everything he has been saying to me for the past year, at least. He LOVES the other (Dream Theater) guys and their families. They have grown up together, married women that were (and are) best friends, have raised their kids as best friends. They are family.

This was not an easy decision for him as a drummer, founding band member (and band leader) or person.

Let's put 25 years into perspective. I am 40. I met John [Petrucci, Dream Theater guitarist] and John [Myung, Dream Theater bassist] when I was 15. How many friends do I still have that I have had to live AND work with for the past 25 years? Not a single one. I can't imagine looking at the same group of people for that many years and being able to come up with new, fun ideas (that will then be judged the world over). My friends and I get stuck on doing the same things on random weekend gatherings!

Remember, this is strictly my perspective here...

You'd think that being a rock star would be 100% fun 100% of the time. But I know that Mike works extremely hard and takes every bit of this experience to heart.

You might think you know, but you have no idea (to borrow a line from 'Behind the Music'). It is a part of who he is as a person, it is definitely not just a job. He's been running at a pace most people couldn't keep up for a few months, much less 25 years. He just wants a break. He wants to have the chance to play with other musicians and be reminded of how special this all is. He wants to have fun and not be in charge of every detail for a bit. (And for those of you thinking he should just let others take the reins in Dream Theater, all I'll say is that you have no idea what you are talking about.)

The way I see it, it's not a matter of Mike not wanting to be in Dream Theater (Remember, he DOES want to be in Dream Theater... he NEVER wanted or planned to leave the band). Giving up Dream Theater must be like giving up a child for him. I know it's been horribly painful. But I am extremely proud of him for recognizing that he needs to be reinvigorated and for doing what he needs to do to make that happen.

You know Mike. He does not do anything half-assed. He wants every drop of music that Dream Theater releases to be perfect and fulfilling for everyone. Right now, he is guaranteeing that he can't do that. Maybe (apparently) the other guys don't feel the same about this situation, I can't speak to that, but he knows that he needs a break to be able to bring the best of himself to the table. There is no ulterior motive. He genuinely just needs a break. He needs a break that allows him to find new inspiration and have some down time. When he has done his other side projects, if you think he was not also working on Dream Theater stuff, you'd be incredibly mistaken.

I guess I got a bit long-winded there... sorry, but it's torture to sit back and watch my brother getting ripped apart or criticized for making this incredibly, INCREDIBLY hard choice. And for those of you who are supporting/understanding of his decision, I want you to know HOW MUCH it is appreciated."

Mike Portnoy is currently on tour with Avenged Sevenfold. The drummer was asked to to play on Avenged Sevenfold's new album, "Nightmare," following the death last December of their drummer, James "The Rev" Sullivan. Portnoy was Sullivan's favorite drummer.

Dream Theater said in its own statement, "All of us in Dream Theater wholeheartedly wish Mike the best on his musical journey. We have had a long and meaningful career together. It is our true hope that he finds all he is looking for, and that he achieves the happiness he deserves. He will be missed."
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 10:20 am

what if Kevin Moore and mike portnoy come back in 2 years? Kevin and Mike did 2 albums recently on the band OSI.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 10:23 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I don't see them picking a Metal guy...I see them getting a Prog guy...

I see them getting Ringo Starr.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 10:28 am

I don't see Kevin Moore ever wanting to come back. He's moved on.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 10:36 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Yeah, Kevin would not even play the 20th Anniversary one-off show...

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 10:47 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Yeah... That was a big bummer. I was hoping to see him when they did the Awake tour, but he'd already left. He's moved on and out and done some interesting music that I really like.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 10:52 am

chewie wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:

Yeah... That was a big bummer. I was hoping to see him when they did the Awake tour, but he'd already left. He's moved on and out and done some interesting music that I really like.

Yeah, I dig the OSI and Chroma Key stuff...

Metal is Forever
chewie

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 11:39 am

Quote :
From a Rik Emmett interview by Addicted to Vinyl:

And I just want to say this quickly - I heard today that [drummer] Mike Portnoy has left Dream Theater. He put out an announcement on his site and talked about how this would be shocking and heavy duty and it certainly was heavy duty for him. That took me right back to that time period in 1988/1989 when I left Triumph. You've got people that are saying "how can you do this, how can you betray the things that you've stood for for so long and that you were an integral part of," and blah blah blah. But in the end, you've kind of got to do what your heart tells you. Why else did you choose a life as an artist if you're not gonna do that and sometimes the choices are hard. I think the Absolutely album for me was one where it was a statement of saying "you know, life isn't so simple, life is kind of complex." So I wanted a record that had a little bit of that. It had ballads and then it had progressive kind of tunes like "Stand and Deliver" and it had vocal kind of, I don't know what you'd call them - fugues or rounds or something and finger style guitar. It had a lot of stuff and I'm thinking it will be pretty interesting to see what Portnoy comes up with next, now that he's made this step, now what does he do - what's his definitive statement? That's all I've got to say about that.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 14, 2010 2:22 pm

I was quite shocked when I first heard the news, but Mike seemed to have his reasons. And I'm also one that thinks they will reunite in the next few years.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Dream Theater auditioning 7 drummers...

Quote :
Q: I have read in other interviews that the band has done that you are looking for a replacement for Mike behind the drum kit, but I don't sense any kind of rush or pressure in the band. Are you really looking for a replacement or do you already have one or two candidates in mind?

LaBrie: We're not rushing into it, because it's a big move for us; it's unprecedented within the band. This is our first time coming up against finding a drummer for DREAM THEATER. We do have everything in place. We don't have a drummer yet, but we have auditions for drummers all set up, and it's all ready to go within two weeks. So in two weeks we will start auditioning drummers. We already have seven guys lined up that are gonna come into the studio and they are going to play through some songs and so on and so forth. We are looking for the right chemistry, the right vibe, the right attitude, the right personality, the right look — somebody that we feel really will embellish upon what DREAM THEATER has stood for and what we plan on standing for in the future. So it's pretty exciting. We have everything in line, we have everything set up, so it's just a matter, within a couple of weeks, to start the auditions and then to eventually make the announcement who the new drummer is.

Q: So there will be open auditions then?

LaBrie: It's not open; it's already decided who's coming in. There's seven drummers that are coming in, and out of those seven, we will definitely have our drummer. They're all world-class drummers. I can't tell you who — I'd love to tell you, but I can't; I can't divulge or disclose that information. Not at this point. It's too sensitive at this point. But it will be a very intense week for us while we're jamming and playing with these drummers.

Q: I will mention one name that, personally, I think is the full package for DREAM THEATERJohn Macaluso. He played with you on your "Elements Of Persuasion" tour, even by recommendation from Mike, and you even sang on one of his tracks on his UNION RADIO solo project, he's from New York, he has played progressive metal for most of his career — a lot of things in common. What do you think of him?

LaBrie: Oh, well, it goes without saying John Macaluso is a fantastic drummer; he's an incredible talent. He reminds me of the current-day John Bonham — he's just got a really cool, Bonham-esque kind of feel to him, but at the same time he can also play in a very progressive outfit as well and get into more syncopated areas of drumming with ease. Yeah, I had the pleasure of going out and bringing him out on tour with me throughout Europe on the "Elements Of Persuasion" tour, and he is fantastic — there's no doubt about it; he's quite capable. Whether he is one of those seven drummers or not, I can't tell you. [laughs] But without a doubt, the guy is a fanstastic drummer. He's extremely talented. I love his playing, I love his style, and he's a great guy.

Read the rest of the interview here...
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=147378

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next