Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?

Go down 
+33
Troublezone
shamgar75
DallasBlack
Jesusandmetal23
stormspell
mr.electric39
kmorg
nevermore
Sutekh
chewie
Lari
mez
Temple of Blood
Thrasher73
Joe
thejokeriv
Fat Freddy
Shawn Of Fire
fingers
MetalRob331
mc666
Gilbert
Eyesore
Metal Misfit
ultmetal
bassman
manny
Ben Grimm
Alex Dee Rokket
powermacho
ZetaReticuli
Wargod
A Handful of Wayne
37 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Alex Dee Rokket
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Alex Dee Rokket

Number of posts : 1095

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 8:34 am

Perfect opportunity now for Hetfield to fire Ulrich and get Portnoy in Metallica - won't happen but wishful thinking never hurt anyone LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 9:35 am

Too bad it wasn't the vocalist that quit....

Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:03 am

Wow - I was surprised and shocked! Don't see how they can continue without portnoy
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 10:53 am

Eyesore wrote:
ZetaReticuli wrote:
Truth is, Portnoy is making a lot more money with Avenged Sevenfold. He didn't have to join that band, this whole "burn out" was of his own making. The other guys didn't agree on taking the hiatus because they haven't been doing anything...Portnoy likes to take on a ton of projects for whatever reason. This is his fault. I wonder what Myung has to say...
Truth is? How the hell do you know what the truth is? God, music fans can be so ridiculous at times! Dude said his heart wasn't in it. Maybe he's just being honest! Holy crap! Crazy concept, huh?

Seriously. There's no way he's made more money in a dozen A7X shows than he does with DT...that was a silly statement. I can see the whole "burnout was his fault" thing too, though...

On topic, I do kinda wish they would have just taken a breather...but I can understand. Even though Portnoy steered the ship for the most part, the other guys (Petrucci & Myung especially) have just as many years in the band as Mike does...it's what they've worked for too and I can understand them not wanting to just let it go or put it away for a while...it's just as much their band as Mike's.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 11:59 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
ZetaReticuli wrote:
Truth is, Portnoy is making a lot more money with Avenged Sevenfold. He didn't have to join that band, this whole "burn out" was of his own making. The other guys didn't agree on taking the hiatus because they haven't been doing anything...Portnoy likes to take on a ton of projects for whatever reason. This is his fault. I wonder what Myung has to say...
Truth is? How the hell do you know what the truth is? God, music fans can be so ridiculous at times! Dude said his heart wasn't in it. Maybe he's just being honest! Holy crap! Crazy concept, huh?

Seriously. There's no way he's made more money in a dozen A7X shows than he does with DT...that was a silly statement. I can see the whole "burnout was his fault" thing too, though...

On topic, I do kinda wish they would have just taken a breather...but I can understand. Even though Portnoy steered the ship for the most part, the other guys (Petrucci & Myung especially) have just as many years in the band as Mike does...it's what they've worked for too and I can understand them not wanting to just let it go or put it away for a while...it's just as much their band as Mike's.

I have no idea who they could get to play drums on a new album. The sound will be different, but finding a dummer as good as portnoy will be hard to do.

Then again, maybe the rest of the band is tried of Portnoy's constant OCD.

Well, anyway - I see an album and tour with a different drummer, it's not as successful and two years down the road they kiss and make up and release a new album.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:11 pm

Yeah, Portnoy won't stay out of DT forever...he'll come back for a 30th Anniversary Tour and the whole band will break up.

Replacement options:

Mark Zonder
Bobby Jarzombeck

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Replacement options:

Mark Zonder
Bobby Jarzombeck

Richard Christy?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:16 pm

Joe wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Replacement options:

Mark Zonder
Bobby Jarzombeck

Richard Christy?

He's a good option...

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Dave Lombardo?

Gene Hoglan?
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 1:50 pm

I can't see Lombardo, but Hoglan would be good...

John Tempesta?

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 3:10 pm

Most guys listed so far couldn't handle Portnoy's material.

My guess is:
Virgil Donati
Bobby Jarzombek
some random dude from some prog rock band like Porcupine Tree or something
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 4:13 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Most guys listed so far couldn't handle Portnoy's material.

I disagree...I think Zonder, Jarzombeck, Hoglan or Tempesta could handle it fine.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Did I wake up and Rock N Roll/Metal just up and decide to destroy itself? This news, and though not related to the post, there is new of Vince Niel bashing Nikki Sixx and also beating up some woman.

Oh and talk about Aerosmith moving on without Steven Tyler again!!!!!! OMG, I am going back to bed and when I wake up I want all this bad stuff to go away!
Back to top Go down
bassman
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
bassman

Number of posts : 1939

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 4:29 pm

Alex Dee Rokket wrote:
Perfect opportunity now for Hetfield to fire Ulrich and get Portnoy in Metallica - won't happen but wishful thinking never hurt anyone LOL

That's a BRILLIANT idea!!Ulrich's drumming has bored me to tears since Master of Puppets. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 6:29 pm

This is about the equivalent to Lars or James quitting/being replaced in Metallica...

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 8:01 pm

I used to like Dream Theater. Images and Words, Awake, Scenes from a Memory... always thought they were great, though lately I've been put off by prog metal including DT. Always had huge respect for Portnoy. I even bought Inner Turbulence thinking it will reignite my love for the Theater. But it didn't, really. I liked the rhythm section, didn't love it, Portnoy or not. The rest was dull, especially vocals, and the guitar melodies seemed totally random, like band practise. Nonsensical songs plus having to listen to James LaBrie was too much for me. I was off the DT wagon.

Now that there's no Portnoy, even less of a chance of me buying another Dream Theater record.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 09, 2010 9:13 pm

That's just wild..........
Back to top Go down
Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:04 am

Disappointed, but I can understand how both Portnoy and the band see it. I'm sure he'll be back in at some stage.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 7:39 am

Ultimatum would like to announce the addition of Mike Portnoy to congas and tambourine.

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_razz

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 11:34 am

ultmetal wrote:
Ultimatum would like to announce the addition of Mike Portnoy to congas and tambourine.

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_razz

lol!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 am

I, like many others, was surprised when I heard about this. I think if he really needed a break then maybe he should have cut out some of the side projects and took a little time for himself in that way. The other DT guys could have still done their side projects while he got a deserved break, jmo.
Back to top Go down
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:05 pm

What about Mike Terrana?
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:38 pm

ZetaReticuli wrote:
What about Mike Terrana?

He's good but I am not sure he is that good. Don't think he's much of a prog guy either. He's a better fit for an Yngwie/power metal outfit I think.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 12:49 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
ZetaReticuli wrote:
What about Mike Terrana?

He's good but I am not sure he is that good. Don't think he's much of a prog guy either. He's a better fit for an Yngwie/power metal outfit I think.

Mike is good, but too one-dimensional perhaps?

I think Peter Criss is out of work though.....

Very Happy

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 10, 2010 2:16 pm

kmorg wrote:
Temple of Blood wrote:
ZetaReticuli wrote:
What about Mike Terrana?

Mike is good, but too one-dimensional perhaps?

I think Peter Criss is out of work though.....

Very Happy

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?   Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mike Portnoy Quits Dream Theater!!!!!! WTF!?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next