Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater

Go down 
+3
Lari
nevermore
Sword Of The Heretic
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Empty
PostSubject: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2023 9:49 pm

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quentinsinger/2023/10/25/drummer-mike-portnoy-has-rejoined-dream-theater/amp/
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2023 11:07 pm

That news has been all over the internet. It's cool they worked out whatever differences they had and he was able to rejoin.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2023 12:04 am

And Gus G is recording an album with the previous drummer.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeFri Oct 27, 2023 4:52 am

I have been on a Dream Theater kick lately.

Cool news.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 12:22 am

Truthfully the only song I like (and know) by these guys is “Pull Me Under”.

I’d like to see them write more songs like that. More straightforward and heavy. The proggy stuff can bore me if it’s excessive.

nevermore and oldschooldoom like this post

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 12:58 am

Troublezone wrote:
Truthfully the only song I like (and know) by these guys is “Pull Me Under”.

I’d like to see them write more songs like that. More straightforward and heavy. The proggy stuff can bore me if it’s excessive.

That's what i was saying to a friend lately. I wish they'd write a simple straightforward metal album.

I did pick up Train Of Thoughts at my local record store last Saturday based on the owner's recommendation who said that this was their most "metal" album.

Very good music in there, but the songs do need some trimming imho.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeSat Oct 28, 2023 1:03 pm

I also only recently got Train of Thought. It is their most straight forward metal album.

It's still not as good as Images & Words.

I used to love Dream Theater up until Inner Turbulence. I bought that new when it was released, and I still haven't digested it.

I think other prog bands just pushed past them by making songs that are exciting and interesting, instead of just 16 minutes of recorded band practice, and calling it a song
Back to top Go down
TroublegumX
Metal novice
Metal novice
TroublegumX

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 4:35 pm

I have to admit, I did not have that on my metal bingo for the year. Definitely excited to see them live with Portnoy again.
Back to top Go down
Sword Of The Heretic
Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 7:48 pm

Awake was my first album of theirs I bought, and still my favorite
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17150

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeTue Oct 31, 2023 10:49 pm

Maybe with Portnoy’s time away from DT he will influence them to branch out from their proggy comfort zone. I have a feeling Mike is gonna make his first album with them in several years a big comeback. He needs to inject some heavy into them!
Back to top Go down
oldschooldoom
Metal novice
Metal novice
oldschooldoom

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitimeThu Nov 02, 2023 8:32 am

Well this is great news. So sad that this news was not 6 months ago when I saw them on their latest tour. It was lacking a certain charm only Mike can provide.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater   Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mike Portnoy back with Dream Theater
Page 1 of 1