Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?

Go down 
+24
exact33
JDC
nevermore
A Handful of Wayne
jstate
mc666
Schbopo
akeldama
SAHB Healer
James B.
MetalRob331
Olafsto
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
chewie
manny
ultmetal
Troublezone
Addy
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
thejokeriv
Metallic Blaze
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:11 am

manny wrote:
Don't listen to FF, he is a old school punk fan, he just did not want to list ten Ramones albums in this thread.

Laughing very hard I actually considered doing that.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:15 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:
Don't listen to FF, he is a old school punk fan, he just did not want to list ten Ramones albums in this thread.

Laughing very hard I actually considered doing that.

yeah, punk would count as 'non-metal'. Do you like any other punk stuff besides Ramones?

I like me some punk. My favorite punk album is probably the one Toho listed (Rancid). Great call on that one.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:22 am

manny wrote:
The Mars Volta excellent CD, as his the King Crimson, Live, and Sisters of Mercy.

IMO you can never go wrong with Miles Davis

indeed.

I tried to put my list together not necessarily by listing favorites by the artists (though some of them are), but trying to pick stuff that would give a well-rounded representation of a certain sound and atmosphere and feel, with great songwriting that may not be my favorite personally but would work, in my opinion, as high quality textbook examples of some stuff I'm into..
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:23 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 61mmSCBf2CL

This is a really good one. I love all three from this period: Mwandishi, Crossings and Sextant.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:26 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
manny wrote:

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 201269 I actually considered doing that.

yeah, punk would count as 'non-metal'. Do you like any other punk stuff besides Ramones?

I dig the Misfits, the Sex Pistols, the Anti-Nowhere League, early C.O.C., and a couple of others. Didn't care much for the pop punk stuff that came along in the 90s, mainly because I was annoyed that all those guys were going platinum and sucking up all the $$$ that rightfully belonged to the old school punk bands who paved the way for them.

I consider punk to be a relative of metal anyway. It's kinda like metal played a little sloppier. Laughing

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:41 am

I'm pretty much in the same "metal" boat as Freddy. Most of my collection is in the metal / hard rock / guitar-based field. As much as I like some blues, some jazz and some punk, I'm not knowlegdable enough to make good recommendations.

Not that my friends would ask anyway. We're all old headbangers since high school.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 12:23 pm

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Live75

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 The_wall

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Songbird-lg

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Covtameless364

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 IDCD_15

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 867ce5f7a21c

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Sex_Pistols_-_Swindle

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 PearlJam-Ten

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Creedence+Clearwater+Revival+-+Chronicle+Vol.+1

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 1532097

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 12:40 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I like that Live album.

LOVE Live - Throwing Copper, AWESOME album!!!!!!!

Here's some more:

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 51cvzt10

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 41hdht10

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 51emxj10

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 41f50h10

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 516n7110
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 12:52 pm

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Mark+Free
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 RIGGS+LP
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Album-spend-the-night
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Creedence+Clearwater+Revival+-+Chronicle+Vol.+1
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 PearlJam-Ten
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 SAGA%20Worlds%20apart%20LP
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Stripped
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Debbie+Gibson+-+Out+Of+The+Blue
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 L482
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 51WF8FFTD3L._SL500_AA240_
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 344367
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 1:32 pm

[quote="kmorg"]what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Live75

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Covtameless364

Two great choices !!

Savage Rose is one of my all time favorite bands Very Happy .
Anisettes voice is pure magic!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 1:49 pm

[quote="Olafsto"]
kmorg wrote:
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Live75

Two great choices !!

Savage Rose is one of my all time favorite bands Very Happy .
Anisettes voice is pure magic!

Yeah, they played live here last year, but I couldn't go Sad

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 2:46 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I like that Live album.

Here's some more:

Good call with Indigo Girls. They're one of my "guilty pleasure" bands; one that I shouldn't like but I do.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 3:41 pm

tohostudios wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
I like that Live album.

Here's some more:

Good call with Indigo Girls. They're one of my "guilty pleasure" bands; one that I shouldn't like but I do.

Yeah, their first album is awesome!
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 3:47 pm

Silverchair - Frogstomp ( IMO the best debut cd ever made )
Silverchair - Freakshow
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Pronounced
Toadies - Rubberneck
Boston - S/t
Foreigner - Records
Bryan Adams - So Far So Good
Kid Rock - Cocky
Weezer - Blue Album
Goldfinger - S/t

These are the first to come to mind and all albums I would give a 10/10.. They're so many I could name though...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:00 pm

I still chuckle that this group still gets labeled "non-metal". The Great Debate rages on!! what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_lol

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:02 pm

I thought about adding the first Asia to my list, but I was already way over 10. Cheap Trick is a good suggestion. Any of their first four studio albums are oustanding, as well as Budakon.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:18 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I thought about adding the first Asia to my list, but I was already way over 10. Cheap Trick is a good suggestion. Any of their first four studio albums are oustanding, as well as Budakon.

LOL!!! I wasn't evening counting. I picked Budakon since it had the best of the first four albums and the recording has a lot more energy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:50 pm

Chosen at random, I couldn't stop at 100 non-metal albums, let alone 10....

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 F89287v02cvwhat are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 D363379t617
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 E72680fsvewwhat are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 E6112024ch9
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 D067345bq7twhat are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 E38117ufiaq
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 K31689abwgiwhat are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 D79080k792b
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 D4341751k0mwhat are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 I34660unkw1
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:52 pm

Good calls with some Dan and Tull.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 pm

No particular order....just ten excelent non metal albums

Fleetwood Mac-Then Play On
Savoy Brown-Looking In
Allman Brothers Band-At Fillmore East
Grateful Dead-American Beauty
Gov't Mule-Dose
Humble Pie-Rockin' The Fillmore
Exile On Main Street-Rolling Stones
Boogie With Canned Heat-Canned Heat
Blow By Blow-Jeff Beck
Sloppy Seconds-Doctor Hook & The Medicine Show

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 6:54 pm

I agree with the Asia, Xymox, Enya, Enigma, Nektar, and Live albums mentioned. All good.

A few more from me-

Chameleons (UK)- Script of the Bridge
Camel- Stationary Traveller
Leggat- Illuminations
FM (Canada)- City of Fear
Damned- The Black Album
Keats- s/t
City Boy- The Day The Earth Caught Fire
Lake- s/t
Keef Hartley Band- Halfbreed
Gypsy- s/t

lots of those should appeal to metal fans for one reason or another.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 7:56 pm

SAHB Healer wrote:
I agree with the Asia, Xymox, Enya, Enigma, Nektar, and Live albums mentioned. All good.

A few more from me-

City Boy- The Day The Earth Caught Fire

YES!!!!

I have all the City Boy albums (including the unofficially released last one).

Great band in the vein of Queen. Mike Slamer was in this band...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:39 pm

Darn! I forgot one I wanted to mention. I only discovered it because I liked the album cover. I wish I knowed how to post the picture.

Runner-s/t (1978)

it's like the Doobies crossed with The Little River Band or Poco. Nice 70's Pop/rock with a little thump. I think they must have had a minor hit off this album, but I don't remember it.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:55 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

I still chuckle that this group still gets labeled "non-metal". The Great Debate rages on!! what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_lol

I agree!

They have all the elements of metal... just because they came from Seattle during the grunge era?

Last edited by Troublezone on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:58 pm

Not necessarily my top 10 but ones that seem good to start with:

1.The Tea Party-The Edges Of Twilight
2.Alphonse Mouzon-Mind Transplant
3.The Ramones-S/T or Too Tough To Die
4.Free-Tons Of Sobs
5.Fleetwood Mac-Pious Bird Of Good Omen
6.Siena Root-Different Realities
7.Journey-Look Into The Future
8.Chicago-Chicago Transit Authority or Chicago V
9.Hydra-S/T
10.Ultra-S/T
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next