Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?

Go down 
+24
exact33
JDC
nevermore
A Handful of Wayne
jstate
mc666
Schbopo
akeldama
SAHB Healer
James B.
MetalRob331
Olafsto
kmorg
MetalGuy71
Orion Crystal Ice
chewie
manny
ultmetal
Troublezone
Addy
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
thejokeriv
Metallic Blaze
28 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

Number of posts : 6497

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Empty
PostSubject: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 am

For someone who is looking to explore different pastures of the non-metal variety, what 10 albums would you recommend?

I have a local friend who is a die-hard metalhead. All his life he has liked nothing but metal, with the exception of some 70s hard rock (Led Zeppelin, Rush, etc). Of course, to me that 70s stuff is metal as well lol.

Anyway, he said he'd like to start getting into other genres as a break from 100% metal all the time. I recommended him these. What would your recommendations be? Remember - no metal. But you can include hard genres (like industrial for example).

1. Erasure - Chorus

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Erasure_chorus

Easily one of the best albums in my collection. This album has been the soundtrack to many a themes in my life. Lots of memories. These songs are built on solid and strong hooks! It just doesn't get much better than this in the pop world.

2. Depeche Mode - Violator

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Depeche-mode-violator2

This is Depeche Mode's 7th album and they hit a certain 'gold streak' with this one. Lots of incredible song-writing here.

3. Xymox - Twist of Shadows

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Album-twist-of-shadows

Another synthpop masterpiece, much like the first two albums I mentioned. This one holds a very special place in my heart and collection. Lots of excellent mind candy here.

4. Switchblade Symphony - Serpentine Gallery

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Cover

This is probably my favorite goth/industrial album ever made. If you are looking to explore the goth/industrial genre, this is the place to start. It just doesn't get better than this.

5. The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 1430

This slice of gothic rock not only demonstrates a masterpiece, but also represents the 80s gothic movement as a whole. Essential.

6. KMFDM - Money

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Kmfdm

Though this one brims of metal (because of distorted guitars), it's really an industrial rock masterpiece.

7. Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Ministry_The_land_of_rape_and_honey

This is always one of the first industrial albums I recommend to anyone looking to explore the genre. Don't make the mistake of confusing Ministry the 90s and 00s industrial metal band for the 80s Ministry. In the 80s Ministry was actually a synthpop band who morphed into an industrial rock band. They didn't even add any metal until their 4rth album.

8. Enya - Watermark

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Watermark

The best ambient / new age album ever released IMO. If you like to relax and just surround yourself with peace, this album should be in your collection.

9. U2 - Achtung Baby

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Achtung_baby

Though most will cite "The Joshua Tree" as U2's best album - I'd beg to differ. Although I love TJT, "Achtung Baby" just has a special touch for me.

10. The Cure - Wish

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? The-Cure-Wish-113488

Dreamy, gothic, catchy, wonderful. These are all words that describe this album.

Anyway - that's my top 10. What would yours look like? I'll relay the recommendations to my friend. Thanks in advance for participating guys.

Here are a few more albums I'd recommend, but didn't quite break into the 'top 10'.

Peter Murphy - Holy Smoke
Peter Murphy - Cascade
REM - Out of Time
The Cure - Disintegration
U2 - The Joshua Tree
Depeche Mode - Playing the Angel
Depeche Mode - Black Celebration
Ministry - Twitch
Ministry - The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Nitzer Ebb - That Total Age
Tegan and Sarah - Sainthood
Dead by Sunrise - Out of Ashes

Last edited by Metallic Blaze on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:14 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
For someone who is looking to explore different pastures of the non-metal variety, what 10 albums would you recommend?

I have a local friend who is a die-hard metalhead. All his life he has liked nothing but metal, with the exception of some 70s hard rock (Led Zeppelin, Rush, etc). Of course, to me that 70s stuff is metal as well lol.

Anyway, he said he'd like to start getting into other genres as a break from 100% metal all the time. I recommended him these. What would your recommendations be? Remember - no metal. But you can include hard genres (like industrial for example).

[b]8. Enya - Watermark

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Watermark

The best ambient / new age album ever released IMO. If you like to relax and just surround yourself with peace, this album should be in your collection.

9. U2 - Achtung Baby

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Achtung_baby

Though most will cite "The Joshua Tree" as U2's best album - I'd beg to differ. Although I love TJT, "Achtung Baby" just has a special touch for me.

10. The Cure - Wish

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Album-The-Cure-Wish

Dreamy, gothic, catchy, wonderful. These are all words that describe this album.

Anyway - that's my top 10. What would yours look like? I'll relay the recommendations to my friend. Thanks in advance for participating guys.

Hes

GREAT albums!!!!! Especially WISH - that album RULES!!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:15 am

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 51FGEZ1EF1L._SL500_AA300_

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 31SREP2HTSL._SL500_AA300_

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 41N96E2VP7L._SL500_AA300_

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 61AXXAJK49L._SL500_AA300_

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 41QGBZ4KQTL._SL500_AA300_

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 41BWbha7ZGL._SL500_AA300_

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:15 am

Waitaminnit, waitaminnit -- you mean there are such things as "non-metal" albums? what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 685534

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 8:56 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Waitaminnit, waitaminnit -- you mean there are such things as "non-metal" albums? what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 685534

Hate to burst your metallic bubble but yes
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 9:01 am

Good call on U2 MB, Spin Magainze rates that #1 best album in the last 25 years

Some of mine

Metric- Fantasies
The Violet Burning- Demonstrates Plastics & Elastic
The Violet Burning- Drop Dead
Garbage- Version 2.0
Foo Fighters- ST
Stone Temple Pilots- Core
Stone Temple Pilots- Tiny Music Gifts from the Vatican Gift Shop
Scott Weiland-12 Bar Blues
She Wants Revenge- ST
Depeche Mode- Violator
Jupiter VI- Back From Mars
Sombrance- Eli
Them Crooked Vultures- ST
Kings of Leon- Only by the Night
The Doors- ST
Hole- Celebrity Skin
Soul Coughing- Ruby Vrooom
Gravity Show- Fabulous Like You

Sorry its more than 10
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 am

Addy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Not on Planet Freddy there ain't. what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 11840

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 9:03 am

Thats not even throwing in David Bowie or The Smashing Pumpkins
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 9:04 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Addy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Not on Planet Freddy there ain't. what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 11840

On Planet Addy Metal is a minority
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 9:04 am

U2 - War

Oingo Boingo - Dead Man's Party

Billy Idol - s/t

Billy Idol - Rebel Yell

David Bowie - Let's Dance

The Clash - London Calling

Depeche Mode - Violator

Tears for Fears - Best of...

Pat Benatar - Best of...

ZZ Top - Eliminator
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 9:24 am

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Peter-gabriel-3-cover

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Nektar_recyclef

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Molly+Hatchet+1978+front

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Yes+-+Fragile

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Tormato

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Duke_hi

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 51uQWj7R5WL

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Hawkwind_hallf

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Phil+Collins+-+Face+Value+aa

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Keaggy,%2520phil%2520-%2520the%2520master%2520_%2520the%2520musician%2520gdmac

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 9780001393776lrg

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? ZZ_Top_-_Mescalero_-_Front

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? WS+images+Listening+09+Apr+im01+Are+You+Experienced

Last edited by ultmetal on Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 9:30 am

Good calls with Hatchet and "The Melting Face" album.

Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:42 am

tohostudios wrote:
what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 61AXXAJK49L._SL500_AA300_

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 41BWbha7ZGL._SL500_AA300_

Two of my favorite albums right there!!!

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 495333

I need to explore some of those others too.
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:44 am

Addy wrote:
She Wants Revenge- ST
Depeche Mode- Violator

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 438278
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Addy wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

I like a good mix.

I can't listen to 'just metal' anymore than I could eat 'just steak' without mashed potatoes.

I need some sides to appreciate my main course more.

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 604261
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:46 am

Troublezone wrote:
U2 - War

That's a VERY good album dude!

But again, I like all of U2's albums.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:47 am

Way too many to list, I like R.E.M, The Rolling Stones, 10,000 Maniacs and like 1000 other bands from so many different genres
Back to top Go down
Metallic Blaze
Exo-Kill!
Metallic Blaze

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:48 am

manny wrote:
Way too many to list, I like R.E.M, The Rolling Stones, 10,000 Maniacs and like 1000 other bands from so many different genres

Can't come up with a top 10?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:50 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:

I like a good mix.

I can't listen to 'just metal' anymore than I could eat 'just steak' without mashed potatoes.

I need some sides to appreciate my main course more.

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 604261

Yea, well, what can I say, I'm a narrow minded prick. what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_lol

Nah, but seriously, I don't mind other genres, but I really don't go out of my way much to buy CDs outside of hard rock, metal, and/or punk rock. (I think the only non-rock CDs I own are two volumes of music from "The Simpsons," and the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" soundtrack.)

My wife listens to country and classic rock, my parents listened to damn near everything under the sun when I was growing up (country, Elvis, doo-wop, 60s surf rock, etc.), and I have a soft spot for '80s pop and one hit wonders. So I have a decent working knowledge of certain genres outside of metal but I don't collect any of it.

Last edited by Fat Freddy on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:53 am

Don't listen to FF, he is a old school punk fan, he just did not want to list ten Ramones albums in this thread.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 am

1 Spock's Beard - Beware Of Darkness
2 Yes - Close To The Edge
3 Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds Of Fire
4 Al DiMeola - Elegant Gypsy
5 Michael Hedges - Aerial Boundaries
6 Kansas - Two For The Show
7 Jellyfish - Bellybutton
8 Level 42 - True Colours
9 Genesis - A Trick Of The Tail
10 Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:54 am

Metallic Blaze wrote:
manny wrote:

Can't come up with a top 10?

No because it is almost impossible, do I leave out the Stones, The Doors, blues, jazz etc
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 am

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? AlbumcoverMahavishnuOrchestra-TheInnerMountingFlame

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 3690-1

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Enigmaol8

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? The-Sisters-Of-Mercy-Floodland

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 61mmSCBf2CL

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? 54999f

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Live-throwing-copper-420x420

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? King+Crimson+-+1969+-+In+The+Court+Of+The+Crimson+King

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? DC249mini

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? The-Mars-Volta-De-Loused-In-The-433466

extra:

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Bwm_cover
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:02 am

I like that Live album. Last one by them I can stand.

mini boss
mini boss
manny

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 am

The Mars Volta excellent CD, as his the King Crimson, Live, and Sisters of Mercy.

IMO you can never go wrong with Miles Davis
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?   what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what are the top 10 non-metal albums you would recommend?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next