Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Machine Head

Go down 
+31
Thelemech
corplhicks
Troublezone
Short-Fuse
Thrasher73
Required Fields
Boris2008
The_Jayroh
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
dark avenger
Fat Freddy
Alex Dee Rokket
MetalGuy71
Mglaffas81
stormspell
Lurideath
Leatherface
nevermore
Gilbert
bgast1
thejokeriv
fingers
Eyesore
INVADERS
MetalRob331
MEGATRON
manny
akeldama
mc666
ultmetal
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

Machine Head - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 6:48 am

^^ Unfortunately I can't see this happening. Rob Flynn even refused to join Vio-lence on the Thrash of the Titans benefit concert for Chuck & Chuck in 2001... which was so disrespectful given the circumstances I lost all my respect for this guy and never cared for Machine Head afterward. It was probably for my own good, as I've seen a clip on the telly once and it was some horrible rap-crap-nu-metal thing I couldn't care less for.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 7:03 am

My opinion is about the same as ult's and a few others - Burn My Eyes and The Blackening are their best albums. The debut is alright, but nowhere near a favourite. The Blackening is much better. "Clenching The Fists Of Dissent" is a MONSTER song. However, I do think that Flynn's vocals can get tiresome. Machine Head ain't really the band I listen to the most, but there are 4-5 songs I really like, that get the most listens.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:29 am

The only one I own is Burn My Eyes. Never felt compelled to go any further, based mostly on reviews and opinions I've read here at the Heart of Metal. I've thought about picking up The Blackeneing after seeing them open for Metallica, but it's not a priority at the moment.

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 14, 2010 11:43 am

Seems a pretty accurate description of this song to me,
"After an eerie thirty second intro, the follow-up song "Left Unfinished" is another heavy, groove-laden, modern metal song. The verses on this song, which are sort of half rapped and half shouted, and the stop/start riffing are definitely of the nu-metal variety."

Check out from about 1:00 to 1:20, or 2:09 - 2:22 in the song. You don't hear the "half rapped and half shouted" vocals?

I actually like some nu-metal, so I don't say that as some sort of put down. I consider bands like Sevendust and Disturbed to be nu-metal and I like them both a lot. I also like this song, but there is no doubt that some of those verses are "rap-style vocals", as Alex Dee Rockket described. I'm not saying it's 2Pac or Public Enemy.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2255

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 10:39 am

ultmetal wrote:

Seems a pretty accurate description of this song to me,
"After an eerie thirty second intro, the follow-up song "Left Unfinished" is another heavy, groove-laden, modern metal song. The verses on this song, which are sort of half rapped and half shouted, and the stop/start riffing are definitely of the nu-metal variety."

Check out from about 1:00 to 1:20, or 2:09 - 2:22 in the song. You don't hear the "half rapped and half shouted" vocals?

I actually like some nu-metal, so I don't say that as some sort of put down. I consider bands like Sevendust and Disturbed to be nu-metal and I like them both a lot. I also like this song, but there is no doubt that some of those verses are "rap-style vocals", as Alex Dee Rockket described. I'm not saying it's 2Pac or Public Enemy.

I will not try to label that song anything, other than say that it is complete sh!t.

I don't really consider Disturbed "Nu-Metal", though - Maybe more so in their early days, but their later outputs have completely moved away from any of that - Just check the awesome "Indestructible" - there's no nu-metal AT ALL in that song. Disturbed have vertainly improved in the last few years, "Indestructible" being their best album, in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 10:47 am

Quote :
Machine Head - Through The Ashes Of Empires 7/10
Though crushing and pummeling and relentlessly rhythmic, Machine Head still kind of blow a lot of their momentum in this thing by washing out come verse time, or meandering into (or out of) doom at any other given moment. It's like they've put up a smokescreen at their naughty nu-metal mid-years, but the spikey hair and piercing cans still be glimpsed through watered eyes. What you get is a concerted return to glory (main Machinist Rob Flynn produced with Colin Richardson mixing), huge stony guitars everywhere, with sleight of hand references to nu and metalcore. Not sure what is stopping me from full applause. Maybe it's those roar/sing vocals, or the quite complicated structures track after track. But, still, man, this is heavy and bleak and deserves to be accepted by a majority of those who pin for Burn My Eyes Part II, yet understand it can never feel the same again.
-Martin Popoff

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 am

I saw M.H. open for Metallica two years ago. They weren't bad onstage (and they were nice enough to perform the one song of theirs I do like, "Imperium") but on record they do nothin' for me.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 2:09 pm

I saw MH open for Megadeth on the Cryptic Writings tour. They were very good on that tour.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 2:23 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I saw M.H. open for Metallica two years ago. They weren't bad onstage (and they were nice enough to perform the one song of theirs I do like, "Imperium") but on record they do nothin' for me.

I saw them on that tour as well. Decent enough, but nothing that made me seek out anymore of their albums. I'll stick with the lone album I have, Burn My Eyes.

Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 54

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 2:47 pm

I do own the following albums: Burn My Eyes, The More Things Change and The blackening. I would describe them as "utter smurf poo". Laughing
I need to check also the remaining albums. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 3:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'll stick with the lone album I have, Burn My Eyes.

Smart move. It's the only one that is really good.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 11, 2011 3:37 pm

[quote="Mglaffas81"]
ultmetal wrote:

I will not try to label that song anything, other than say that it is complete sh!t.

I don't really consider Disturbed "Nu-Metal", though - Maybe more so in their early days, but their later outputs have completely moved away from any of that - Just check the awesome "Indestructible" - there's no nu-metal AT ALL in that song. Disturbed have vertainly improved in the last few years, "Indestructible" being their best album, in my opinion.

Wow... why would you label that song sh!t? Because of the verse part? That song has an awesome chorus. I actually love this album. To me I thought it was a definate return to form with some new elements added. The most noticeable thing is the overall sound. Machine Head have their own distinctive sound and they completely left that behind for 2 albums. With "Ashes" they brought back their original sound and I think thats what really makes the album. The band just sounds like a monster again. They haven't released a bad album since. I even think the new album is better than the Blackening.

If people are affraid of bands experimenting once in a while then why bother listening to new albums?

Metal master
Metal master
The_Jayroh

Number of posts : 823

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 12:44 am

I used to be really into this bad a while back. I especially remember liking Machine Head when I saw them in Mayhem Fest in 08. There is a lot of things I like about their music, but then there are things I really don't like about them. It's not the screaming etc that gets on my nerves. I just....don't feel anything from them. The focal point is not on the lyrics/vocals for this band obviously, that is something I hear from this band.

The band knows how to write a good riff, but it would be nice if they weren't pissed off for a change. That's my two cents.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1009170115&sk=info
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 12, 2011 1:05 am

I'm still hesitating about buying unto the locust...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Machine Head
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next