Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Machine Head

Go down 
+31
Thelemech
corplhicks
Troublezone
Short-Fuse
Thrasher73
Required Fields
Boris2008
The_Jayroh
A Handful of Wayne
Temple of Blood
dark avenger
Fat Freddy
Alex Dee Rokket
MetalGuy71
Mglaffas81
stormspell
Lurideath
Leatherface
nevermore
Gilbert
bgast1
thejokeriv
fingers
Eyesore
INVADERS
MetalRob331
MEGATRON
manny
akeldama
mc666
ultmetal
35 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Machine Head - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:19 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
I do believe this is the first time I've ever heard "groove" and "Mercyful Fate" being mentioned in the same sentence.

Yes, exactly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 09, 2014 5:23 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Why can't groove metal sit at their own table?  Prog metal doesn't sit at the table either.  So what?  It's a different style.
Exactly.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 6:58 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Silly Rabbit, everyone knows groove is in the heart. Tell 'em Bootsy...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

DeGroovy!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 7:18 am

Dammit MG, I didn't even have to click on the link and that friggin Deee-lite song got stuck in my head anyway. Thanks a lot!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 1:56 pm

I quite enjoy this band, I know a lot of people don't like "Burning Red" or "Supercharger" but I think they're both pretty solid albums.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39646

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:35 pm

I only have the debut,which is pretty good and I quite like the song from the Tales From The Crypt soundtrack. I have never heard another song from them. I've always been a bit leery because of the iffy reviews of their subsequent releases.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7613

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Machine Head follows trends like nobody's business and that hurts their reputation. That being said, I really enjoy Burn My Eyes.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:52 pm

007 wrote:
I only have the debut,which is pretty good and I quite like the song from the Tales From The Crypt soundtrack. I have never heard another song from them. I've always been a bit leery because of the iffy reviews of their subsequent releases.

The only album I'd not wholeheartedly recommend is Supercharger.

With the previous album, The Burning Red, they caved to label pressure to do something radio-friendly. So there are some songs, namely "From This Day" and "Desire to Fire," which are aimed at the mainstream. These two tracks are what make people call this a "rapcore" album. Yes, Flynn does kind of "rap" parts of these songs, but they are not rapcore songs, nor is it a rapcore album. They're great tracks, too, as is the whole album, despite its definite attempt at garnering radio recognition.

Actually, the "Message in a Bottle" cover is pretty lame, now that I think about it.

Anyway, I guess the band wasn't comfortable with "selling out" and things began to fall apart internally. Supercharger reflects this BIG TIME! A few really great songs, but most of it is mediocre. Some of it is downright terrible.

Beyond that, they're just a popular band that doesn't nicely fit into categories, and that irks people. Aside from most of Supercharger, I think they've been a consistently excellent band.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Witchfinder wrote:
Machine Head follows trends like nobody's business and that hurts their reputation.  That being said, I really enjoy Burn My Eyes.  

They did, but only during one period, as I mentioned above. Flynn at least has been very open about what they did. Gotta respect that. How many other bands have admitted to shamelessly selling out?

Take away The Burning Red and Supercharger, and the rest of their albums are pretty much very similar in style.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 7:55 am

ultmetal wrote:
Who likes this band? If you do like them, what would you say are their best and worst.

I like The Blackening quite a bit. Burn My Eyes is decent enough.

I've been giving Supercharger a bunch of spins, but I'm having a hard time getting though it in one spin. It's some sort of tangled, confusing, modern metal mess. 'Bulldozer' starts off heavy enough with a crunchy guitar riff then breaks into some weak nu-metal crap. I'd describe it as a mix of Coal Chamber, Sepultura, and Slipknot. The next song is even worse. 'White Knuckle Blackout!' is total nu-metal crap. Even has a rap-inspired breakdown in the middle of the song. Skip button become a necessity at this point. "Crashing Around You" could have been on a Kidd Rock album and no one would have been the wiser. GAK! What happened to these guys between Burn My Eyes and The Blackening?

Burn My Eyes and The More things change were their best albums. I actually like Burning Red even though Rob Flynn should not of rapped on that album and ye some of the riffs are bit too chugga chugga but its actually my guilty pleasure album and I dig The Police cover of message in a bottle they did. Supercharger is complete crap and some of the songs sound like they are doing a 28 days cover. Through the Ashes of Empires is weak as well just mallcore crap and what I don't understand is ultmetal how can it be better than Burning Red? The Blackening was Machine Head's Death Magnetic when it comes to a step in the right direction even though I dug the album when it came out after fifteen spins it loses its steam abit.

Unto the Locust was crap with the exception of a few songs, After listening to darkness Within I was thinking WTF? Is Rob Flynn related to Jon Davis? the album sounded like they were doing covers of metalcore bands.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 12:42 pm

fingers wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Who likes this band? If you do like them, what would you say are their best and worst.

I like The Blackening quite a bit. Burn My Eyes is decent enough.

I've been giving Supercharger a bunch of spins, but I'm having a hard time getting though it in one spin. It's some sort of tangled, confusing, modern metal mess. 'Bulldozer' starts off heavy enough with a crunchy guitar riff then breaks into some weak nu-metal crap. I'd describe it as a mix of Coal Chamber, Sepultura, and Slipknot. The next song is even worse. 'White Knuckle Blackout!' is total nu-metal crap. Even has a rap-inspired breakdown in the middle of the song. Skip button become a necessity at this point. "Crashing Around You" could have been on a Kidd Rock album and no one would have been the wiser. GAK! What happened to these guys between Burn My Eyes and The Blackening?

Burn My Eyes and The More things change were their best albums. I actually like Burning Red even though Rob Flynn should not of rapped on that album and ye some of the riffs are bit too chugga chugga but its actually my guilty pleasure album and I dig The Police cover of message in a bottle they did. Supercharger is complete crap and some of the songs sound like they are doing a 28 days cover. Through the Ashes of Empires is weak as well just mallcore crap and what I don't understand is ultmetal how can it be better than Burning Red? The Blackening was Machine Head's Death Magnetic when it comes to a step in the right direction even though I dug the album when it came out after fifteen spins it loses its steam abit.

Unto the Locust was crap with the exception of a few songs, After listening to darkness Within I was thinking WTF? Is Rob Flynn related to Jon Davis? the album sounded like they were doing covers of metalcore bands.

Sometimes people who don't really like certain styles of music probably shouldn't compare other bands to that style. Through the Ashes of Empires is "mallcore"? Come on. "Crashing Around You" a Kid Rock song? In what reality? Haha.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 2:02 pm

I heard a song from their latest album. song is called now we die.

not bad but nothing new here.

I will still buy the new album most likely.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Listened once, and it's pretty badass!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 2:19 pm

this is turning out to be a very good album. but it needs several listens before it starts to sink in.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 4:57 pm

Gilbert wrote:
this is turning out to be a very good album. but it needs several listens before it starts to sink in.

It's a different kind of album for them, but it's really good.
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

Number of posts : 291

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 5:28 pm

I'm seriously interested in this album. I've only been into the obvious ones (the first two and The Blackened). Might have to invest some time in this record.
Back to top Go down
https://krullrecords.bigcartel.com/
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 6:01 pm

Dr8breed74 wrote:
I'm seriously interested in this album.  I've only been into the obvious ones (the first two and The Blackened).  Might have to invest some time in this record.

It's a slower record than recent ones, with some sludgy/doomy moments.

That's got Crowbar written all over it.
Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Now we're talking! That's heavy! I hear Meshuggah mixed with Down. I can take that a lot better than the mid-era stuff. I know a lot of people like it, it's just not for me. This is really good!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 10:31 pm

Dr8breed74 wrote:
Now we're talking!  That's heavy!  I hear Meshuggah mixed with Down.  I can take that a lot better than the mid-era stuff.  I know a lot of people like it, it's just not for me.  This is really good!

That's not indicative of the entire album, but it's definitely a stylistic change for them. Other tunes that slow it down a bit are "Sail Into the Night," "In Comes the Flood," "Take Me Through the Fire," and "Ghosts Will Haunt My Bones."

I'm pretty sure "Game Over" is about their ex-bass player, Adam Duce. I don't think Robb is happy with him. Haha.

Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Only negative side is, as always, rob's vocals. They tend to destroy the music. I am sure the album would be much better with a different vocalist.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Only negative side is, as always, rob's vocals. They tend to destroy the music. I am sure the album would be much better with a different vocalist.

Eh. I don't think he's bad, but I do think he sounded much better on Burn My Eyes and The More Things Change. For some reason they're mixed very raw now. I don't mind it, but the roughness, I think, should be softened a bit in post-production or whatever.

Back to top Go down
Dr8breed74
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Dr8breed74

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2014 3:47 pm

I honestly couldn't think of a better vocalist for this band. I understand that he can grate on people, but I really couldn't see anyone else doing what he does!
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 06, 2015 2:47 am

It didn't dawn on me until just now that the new bass player in Machine Head is the frontman of Sanctity.

Still bummed these guys broke up. Road to Bloodshed is such a badass album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Machine Head   Machine Head - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Machine Head
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5