Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy

Go down 
+34
metallicleora
Joe
Planchaaaa
KingPest
ZetaReticuli
Alex Dee Rokket
Wargod
Mordor
Lurideath
nevermore
Sword Of The Heretic
AchrisK
Gilbert
Jesusandmetal23
DallasBlack
MetalH
A Handful of Wayne
kmorg
INVADERS
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
QuothTheRaven
Thrasher73
Olafsto
ultmetal
Rex
Smindas
mc666
Troublezone
MetalRob331
akeldama
Metallic Blaze
Eyesore
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 12:28 pm

kmorg wrote:
On first listen I'm left cold.... The guitarwork is amazing though.

First listen sounds ok to me. Sounds like a Nevermore album. Repeated listens are forthcoming.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 12:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
kmorg wrote:
On first listen I'm left cold.... The guitarwork is amazing though.

First listen sounds ok to me. Sounds like a Nevermore album. Repeated listens are forthcoming.

You know it!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 12:40 pm

By the way, if anyone cares, I just noticed that the press release and track listings posted earlier in this post say the Tea Party song covered is 'Transmission'. That is incorrect. The Tea Party song is 'Temptation'.

Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 1:20 pm

Never noticed that. Guess they got the album name mixed up with the song name. I had that album at one point. I thought I would really like them but ended up not liking more than that song.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Planchaaaa

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 2:00 pm

3 days in.. and it has grown on me greatly!; i think moments of it are truly outstanding (Moonrise, Your Poison Throne, Emptiness Unobstructed, The Obsidian Conspiracy, both bonus tracks).

They still have a tendency to throw in a lyric now and then which is jarring in its absurd cheesyness. Some of this stuff is borderline emo. The chorus in "Without Morals" is particulary suspect: ("you lie to me - you slander me - this is why i haaaate you"). Also, that "..the world is a spinning ball of confusion that no one understands" line in 'Emptiness Unobstructed' is terrible!. It sounds like it was written by a faux-angry 14 year old girl in her diary.

The new Exodus is also a grower. This has been a great week for nu new metal.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Just got this today and have listened to it a couple of times. I was immediately struck by "Your Poison Throne," "Emptiness Unobstructed," and the title track, and to a lesser extent the opener, "Termination Proclamation" and "She Comes in Colors." A couple of the remaining tracks sound like they'd fit on Warrel's solo album; he sings much more in his mid and low range like he did on "...War Machine." I like what I hear, especially Loomis' guitar work. Van Williams, IMO another essential part of Nevermore's classic sound, doesn't really cut loose much on this album. I didn't really notice it until he did cut loose on the title track, then I thought, "That's it! That is the sound I was missing!" Repeated listens will be necessary! Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_twisted
Back to top Go down
Wargod
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wargod

Number of posts : 4272

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:03 am

I've tried to like Nevermore but there is something about them that doesn't clcik with me!

Wargod51
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 1:24 pm

The 2 bonus tracks creates a long drawn ending on an already too mellow records, imo. I'm a tad dissapointed.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 2:15 pm

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 130177 ***FAN-BOY ALERT***

Hmmmm, I diggin' it. A tad mellower than past efforts? Perhaps. Still good though.

Metal novice
Metal novice
Planchaaaa

Number of posts : 56

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 5:05 pm

kmorg wrote:
The 2 bonus tracks creates a long drawn ending

I agree with this, despite liking both of the bonus tracks as individual, stand-alone songs. I've burned my own CD without 'The Blue Marble And The New Soul' or the two bonus tracks.

I'd give the album as a whole.. 7/10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 8:47 pm

Phhhht, what are you naysayers hearing? This thing kicks and Loomis sounds great. Nothing by them will pass Dead Heart and Politics but this is still incredible.
Back to top Go down
Joe
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Joe

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 9:09 pm

Still haven't picked this up, yet. The reviews on here thus far are pretty mixed, and there's just too much other stuff I want to pick up.
Back to top Go down
metallicleora
Metal student
Metal student
metallicleora

Number of posts : 142

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 11:54 am

Haven't picked this up yet either. I am on the fence about it.
Back to top Go down
QuothTheRaven
Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 3:58 pm

I've now had this for several days and it is definitely a grower. This is a slightly different Nevermore, but it is still Nevermore! They've stretched their sound a bit beyond their usual brutality, but the musicianship is still very apparent, perhaps because it is outside the norm. Is it a little different than what you might have expected or hoped to hear? Yes. Is it still a great metal album? Unequivocally, yes. This is a great album! If you are willing to let your favorite musicians stretch their wings a bit, get off the fence and buy this! Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 11840
Back to top Go down
Zdan
Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 13, 2010 5:12 pm

I picked this up recently and I think it is a magnificent disc. While not as pounding as say "The Godless Endeavour" this one still has enough power to remain powerful and shows a lot of melodicism and sort of mellow, somber metal feeling to go with the power. The songwriting is top-notch - the solos and the riffs are totally amazing and Dane's vocals are suprisingly full of hooks and suit the more mellow nature of the disc well. Great album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:34 am

I've listened to this twice in the last couple days and I don't understand all the negative and lukewarm reviews. This is a great album! It is a bit more simplified and open than past albums, but frankly, that is not a bad thing IMO. The CD still follows the Nevermore tradition of pummeling heaviness, razor-sharp riffing and progressive influences. I'm diggin' it!

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:43 am

Quote :
I don't understand all the negative and lukewarm reviews

I think that past efforts have always surpassed the album it followed. They always seemed to turn it up another notch with each release. With Obsidian Conspiracy, it seems to me that they've pulled back just a hair. It still has every quality that Nevermore is known for, just haven't upped the ante on this release.

I don't mind that at all. I still think it's a fantastic album.

Metal master
Metal master
Zdan

Number of posts : 752

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 10:47 am

Although I still stand by what I wrote earlier I really hope the new Sanctuary album is better than "Obsidian...".
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 11:20 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
I don't understand all the negative and lukewarm reviews

I think that past efforts have always surpassed the album it followed. They always seemed to turn it up another notch with each release. With Obsidian Conspiracy, it seems to me that they've pulled back just a hair. It still has every quality that Nevermore is known for, just haven't upped the ante on this release.

I don't mind that at all. I still think it's a fantastic album.

I can agree with that. It's a slightly more simplified album, but so what! It's still a fantastic album.

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 12:14 pm

Yeah, how much more technical can they get? I think they made an accessible album without selling out.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 12:15 pm

Yeah, MG summed it up perfectly. Having said that, I really don't see how they could ever top This Godless Endeavour. That album really seems like their magnum opus to me.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Ben Grimm

Number of posts : 450

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 14, 2010 4:07 pm

I like the album I am sure it will be in my top ten for the end of the year
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/inedibleben
krokus
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
krokus

Number of posts : 4238

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 6:17 am

I liked this album too. I bought the special box edition and it doesnt only look good but its sound good too.
Back to top Go down
Rex
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Rex

Number of posts : 2056

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 7:59 am

I'm still disappointed in this album.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 8:43 am

Rex wrote:
I'm still disappointed in this album.

Why?

PostSubject: Re: Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy   Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next