Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Conspiracy against Thrash?

Go down 
+9
exact33
jstate
Orion Crystal Ice
Lurideath
Dave the Boss
MetalGuy71
Fat Freddy
nevermore
troublemagnet
13 posters
AuthorMessage
troublemagnet
Metal Conspiracist

Number of posts : 410

The Conspiracy against Thrash? Empty
PostSubject: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 2:23 pm

While persuing the internet,(Pseudo-Occult Media), I happened to read this very interesting post:

"non-mainstream genres such as metal which is just as corruptive as popular music."

Most metal is released by subdivisions of major record labels, so yes, the same creeps turning Miley Cyrus into the next smurf-for-hire of Babylon are turning many metal fans into mental midgets. But that is where the similarities diverge.

Unlike pop music, which requires mere expertise at dragging and dropping sound samples onto a MIDI grid, metal requires a level of instrumental proficiency and physical endurance not common in an industry of lip-synchers and posers. True, many of its icons have been co-opted, and quite frankly I think grunge was a psyop to water down the hardcore/thrash crossover movement of the late 80s and early 90s before it awakened too many people.

But metal fans are more likely to use their minds for critical thinking than the typical Disney consumer robot. Megadeth, Fear Factory, Iced Earth and many more metal bands regularly challenge the powers that be - specifically the New World Order crowd. You NEVER see pop stars doing that... "

"My take is that grunge was brought to take down hairmetal/AOR (hardcore/tharsh were never mainstream so it was no real threat)...yes, hairmetal was definately infiltrated (motley crue, many bands focus on sex, devil horns from late Dio etc), but majority of hairmetal was about positive things, apotheosis of suicidal/depressing grunge, AOR is another story, but this genre is all about things that NWO doesn't want (love, freindship, goodness, feelgood, God), since that it was never really promoted highly...generally 80s was about good music...

interesting is thing when you read how grunge appeared, how this transition went over...it was really matter of one day, one decision, many of the producers/labelmanagers said that they heard about young band Nirvana (they didn't hear any music from Nirvana then), and that's would be the new franchise, how they knew that? from somewhere up the ladder...Kurt Cobain was MK, so this puzzle nicely fits, doesn't it?"
This leaves me much food for thought,almost paralleling what was going on with Public Enemy at the time. Chuck D and co. were rapping about real social issues (not unlike a lot of thrash at the time) and I believe they were marginalized, and then the African-American population was force-fed "gangsta-rap" immediately afterward to distill public dissent,much like the Greatful Dead were used to get politicaly active youth to "tune in and drop out".In fact it's been well documented that Jerry Garcia was an F.B.I. asset.
The Conspiracy against Thrash? Pixel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 2:28 pm

Wow, lots of psychobabble nonsense...just like most everything else on the internet.

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25801

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 2:31 pm

detuned wrote:
Wow, lots of psychobabble nonsense...just like most everything else on the internet.

The Conspiracy against Thrash? Lol
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 2:32 pm

Um....wut? The Conspiracy against Thrash? 685534

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 19, 2010 3:07 pm

It's cool. I NEVER listen to metal without first donning my tin foil hat and protective eyewear.

The Conspiracy against Thrash? Tin-foil-hat-3

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Dave the Boss

Number of posts : 2690

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 20, 2010 12:59 pm

troublemagnet wrote:

Unlike pop music, which requires mere expertise at dragging and dropping sound samples onto a MIDI grid, metal requires a level of instrumental proficiency and physical endurance not common in an industry of lip-synchers and posers.

Someone here has obviously never listened to Hellhammer... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 5:58 pm

Grunge was just another style that came along that got popular. It has nothing to do with any NWO.

Thrash was becoming popular and you'd see the videos pop up on MTV quite a bit.

Clear Channel is mainly what brought the music of thrash and all other metal to become underground again. As Grunge was coming in, so was death metal's popularity. The next extreme thing for thrash was death metal because thats what thrash evolved into. Clear Channel wanted nothing to do with metal at all and in a lot of ways you can still see that.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Things like this always make me think of chicken or the egg....

Lots of people are fairly ignorant and crave mediocrity.... so that's what they give them...... but the people buy it..........but the ones making it push it... is it merely supply and demand, could be, but which dominates in what sets it in motion? HMMMM.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Quote :
interesting is thing when you read how grunge appeared, how this transition went over.

What is interesting is how a lot of "grunge" was marketed to metal fans as "metal" long before the "grunge movement" took off. First time I ever heard Smells Like Teen Spirit was when Nirvana was band of the month on 103.1 The Underground (the local metal station). The record companies clearly thought the only people who might buy those records were metal fans. Even Stone Temple Pilots who came along later even at first were pushed as a metal act.

Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeThu Jul 22, 2010 8:25 pm

troublemagnet wrote:
But metal fans are more likely to use their minds for critical thinking than the typical Disney consumer robot. Megadeth, Fear Factory, Iced Earth and many more metal bands regularly challenge the powers that be - specifically the New World Order crowd. You NEVER see pop stars doing that... "

metal fans are as good at being sheep as anyone else, even to the point of priding themselves they act independently - just like all the rest of the metal fans they know.

Sutekh
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Sutekh

Number of posts : 1466

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 12:42 am

exact33 wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:

metal fans are as good at being sheep as anyone else, even to the point of priding themselves they act independently - just like all the rest of the metal fans they know.

Fair call. There are plenty of 'accepted' bands to like within the 'scene', accepted ways to dress and act - especially amongst teenagers (A question from my high school students might run: "You don't like Slipknot? You must not like metal". The Conspiracy against Thrash? 201269 A mention of thrash or death might have them naming a metalcore band, but you get the idea). It's ironic that a subculture like metal which prides itself on independent thought and attitude can be so prescriptive with what is OK or not. Thankfully HoM is a lot more mature about these things!
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 12:47 am

I think metal fans simply possess more *potential* for not being sheepy but some tend to not bother with it regardless. See: Life 'as it is' VS life 'as it should be'.
Back to top Go down
Jesusandmetal23
If it jams it jams
Jesusandmetal23

Number of posts : 1023

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 1:32 am

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
I think metal fans simply possess more *potential* for not being sheepy but some tend to not bother with it regardless. See: Life 'as it is' VS life 'as it should be'.

your mom
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 9:44 am

jstate wrote:
Quote :
interesting is thing when you read how grunge appeared, how this transition went over.

What is interesting is how a lot of "grunge" was marketed to metal fans as "metal" long before the "grunge movement" took off. First time I ever heard Smells Like Teen Spirit was when Nirvana was band of the month on 103.1 The Underground (the local metal station). The record companies clearly thought the only people who might buy those records were metal fans. Even Stone Temple Pilots who came along later even at first were pushed as a metal act.

People seem to forget this, and forget that early supporter of these bands you mentioned along with other 'alternative' bands such as Smashing Pumpkins and Pearl Jam where first supported by the metal press and fans til they felt we (metal fans) where unhip and uncool.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39472

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 23, 2010 8:34 pm

jstate wrote:
Quote :

You got it. I was a member of Columbia House at the time and those 2 you mentioned (along with Pearl Jam,Alice In Chains,etc.) were all at one time or another my Metal Selection of the Month).Funny what that eventually lead up to.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3891

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 3:35 pm

Thats dumb. Lets push things not even remotely metal to a metal audience. That was the worst time for music!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 28, 2010 1:05 am

Sutekh wrote:
exact33 wrote:
troublemagnet wrote:

Fair call. There are plenty of 'accepted' bands to like within the 'scene', accepted ways to dress and act - especially amongst teenagers (A question from my high school students might run: "You don't like Slipknot? You must not like metal". The Conspiracy against Thrash? 201269 A mention of thrash or death might have them naming a metalcore band, but you get the idea). It's ironic that a subculture like metal which prides itself on independent thought and attitude can be so prescriptive with what is OK or not. Thankfully HoM is a lot more mature about these things!

yep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Conspiracy against Thrash?   The Conspiracy against Thrash? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Conspiracy against Thrash?
Page 1 of 1