Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The CD is dying

Go down 
+25
T-Roy
sovdat
Troublezone
Chairman_Smith
Fat Freddy
tul
Sutekh
manny
Addy
DallasBlack
snooloui
tohostudios
ZetaReticuli
Eyesore
jstate
Metalgiant
Schbopo
exact33
scottmitchell74
MetalGuy71
Temple of Blood
James B.
Orion Crystal Ice
ultmetal
Gilbert
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
ZetaReticuli
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ZetaReticuli

Number of posts : 454

The CD is dying - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:08 am

Great post, S.

Metal is the only genre in which the fans actually buy the CDs... so for us, i don't think we'll be seeing any 'download only' albums from our bands anytime soon. I think this only affects the mainstream stuff. Since when was metal mainstream anyway?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 9:54 am

Also, for some reason, Country fans still seem to buy CDs in decent numbers...I don't know why.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 10:04 am

S wrote:
Also, for some reason, Country fans still seem to buy CDs in decent numbers...I don't know why.

(Resisting urge to make tasteless stereotypical Redneck joke like "Country Music fans are not smart enough to know how to download music, therefore they still buy CDs" ... because that would be wrong.... besides, my wife likes Country and she'd beat my a$$ if I ever said that to her. Laughing

But seriously folks, if I had to take a wild stab at the reason, I'd say it's because of Wal-Mart (who last I checked are still the largest CD retailer in the US). The "country" section of their CD department is bigger than all of the other genres combined.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:47 pm

I bet your right FF. I've noticed too that country cd's seem to be cheaper or on sale more.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:48 pm

Quote :
besides, my wife likes Country and she'd beat my a$$ if I ever said that to her. Laughing

And I feel your pain. What is it with women?
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:52 pm

nevermind

Last edited by James B. on Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 06, 2010 12:53 pm

The selection at the local Asda is appalling, save for a few cheap compilations, they have no metal, rock or any respectable music at all. If it's not in the charts, they don't sell it. The only other alternative is HMV and well, they're a rip-off (charging £20 for a back-catalogue album is ridiculous).
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 4:52 am

Just my $0.02 on this subject:

1) The main reason why the sales go down is right in the core: The quality of music is on a lower basis than it used to be. The old bands simply can't do anything nowhere near as good as their old classics, and for the newer bands, there's a) just too many of them and b) even the ones that sound good are mostly so unoriginal that it hurts. I'm talking just about metal here, but I'm quite sure that it's similar in other genres too.

2) Sure the CDs are selling for kicks in USA (obviously you even don't know how cheap it is there Smile ), but new CDs around here are priced from 15-20€! And most of the people who work earn 700€ max. monthly ... It's hard to imagine many people spending 15-20€ on some crappy new Judas Priest album then ...

I don't think that CDs in general are dying - check the ebay and you'll see tons of people who are interested in all kinds of CDs. I couldn't care less about the mainstream stuff or people, who are willing to pay to get something which includes both cons of different sides: you have to pay for it and you don't even get a physical copy ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 6:08 am

I still buy CDs of the band if I want to hear the band, I support them. E-Piracy isn't just happening to bands it's happening to writers. I know because a version of my memoir got pirated by some jackhole who rushed me into getting the book done without the cover art or the cool controversial artwork. I don't have sound on my Computer so I can't do the whole Mp3 thing. I would rather by the CD so I can help the band make their royalties and feed their familes -- I just wish they do the same with print on demand authors. Everyone want's e-books, and we can't sign e-books.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 12:44 pm

DallasBlack wrote:

A Sam Goddy at a mall in Ft. Worth has started a metal section and while nowhere near the amount of metal as Virgin, it does have a respectable amount (and they also carry used CDs). However, I only go there when I get out of school early because it's a little out of the way.

I think I said this last time you mentioned Sam Goody, DB, but I am surprised that any Sam Goody stores still exist. They all packed up their wagons and got outta Dodge here in the Northeast several years ago. I thought the whole chain went under.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 12:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
S wrote:

(Resisting urge to make tasteless stereotypical Redneck joke like "Country Music fans are not smart enough to know how to download music, therefore they still buy CDs" ... because that would be wrong.... besides, my wife likes Country and she'd beat my a$$ if I ever said that to her. Laughing
TEN-FOUR!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 12:55 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

A Sam Goddy at a mall in Ft. Worth has started a metal section and while nowhere near the amount of metal as Virgin, it does have a respectable amount (and they also carry used CDs). However, I only go there when I get out of school early because it's a little out of the way.

I think I said this last time you mentioned Sam Goody, DB, but I am surprised that any Sam Goody stores still exist. They all packed up their wagons and got outta Dodge here in the Northeast several years ago. I thought the whole chain went under.

i thought so too. Outside of Best buy and Wally world, there are many stores that even sell cds around me anymore.

DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 6:27 pm

exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

i thought so too. Outside of Best buy and Wally world, there are many stores that even sell cds around me anymore.

It's actually owned by FYE, they just kept the Sam Goody name. It's probably one of the few malls left that have a music store around here.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Mar 09, 2010 6:35 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
exact33 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

It's actually owned by FYE, they just kept the Sam Goody name. It's probably one of the few malls left that have a music store around here.

take a pic because it wont be there long. I just saw a CompUSA opened in my area. Thought they were out of business too... there are so many places going under during this recession..

Lewis
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 3

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 4:15 pm

I personally think the Vinyl comparison is a valid one, back when CD's started to become big most people assumed that it was the end of LP's and yet, as has been pointed out already, they hung on and have gradually been making a comeback. Now that may not happen with CD's but it is a possibility.

Also the quality of digital music will improve, the MP3, and most formats currently available for download, discard some of the data in the song to produce the small file size that makes downloads convenient. As connections improve and high speed connections become more prevalent I expect to see a move towards lossless codecs like FLAC which doesn't discard any of the data, so you should get a better sound for an admittedly larger file size.

Last edited by Lewis on Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : me grammar bad, em grammar slightly better now)
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 pm

The Reason why the CD is dying is because the King Hasnt endorsed it. Exact needs to have a conversation with the King and get music hoppin again

heheh
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
exact33
The King
exact33

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 9:56 pm

Addy wrote:
The Reason why the CD is dying is because the King Hasnt endorsed it. Exact needs to have a conversation with the King and get music hoppin again

heheh

I want the cd to die so i can catch up with my collection Smile

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 4:18 pm

cd is dying because it has become a half way house. a jack of all trades and a master of nothing.

mp3 - more portable than cd but worse sound quality

cd - average sound and average portability

vinyl - best sound (imo, of course condition of record is an issue) but least portable

i listen to pretty much only vinyl at home and mp3 when im out. i honestly have no need for cds.

with the resurgence of vinyl and the explosion of mp3, the cd feels like a jaded and tired format. who wants to pay a shed load of cash for a cd which often has very poor quality packaging and rubbish cheap cases. i have purposedly avoided buying pink floyd cds because of the poor presentation and i think they deserve better (not to mention the price, im skint as.)
Back to top Go down
snooloui
Metal master
Metal master
snooloui

Number of posts : 913

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Vinyls don't have better sound quality and CDs don't have terrible packaging. Nothing can be worse than a crappy MP3. As i've already said it's not the CD that's dying, it's stores. The internet is a much better option for collectors with cheaper prices, rare and out of print items and convinience. People aren't as foolish with money during recessions.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 4:55 pm

snooloui wrote:
Vinyls don't have better sound quality and CDs don't have terrible packaging. Nothing can be worse than a crappy MP3. As i've already said it's not the CD that's dying, it's stores. The internet is a much better option for collectors with cheaper prices, rare and out of print items and convinience. People aren't as foolish with money during recessions.

Come over to my place sometime and I will play you some vinyl on a system that was designed for playing vinyl. You probably think that solid state guitar amps sound better than tube.

ADD format which most of the first cd releases were are only digital compressed versions from a master anolog source. The original anolog sound on vinyl captures the actual sound and doesn't change it to fit on another format.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 6:22 pm

James B. wrote:
snooloui wrote:

Come over to my place sometime and I will play you some vinyl on a system that was designed for playing vinyl. You probably think that solid state guitar amps sound better than tube.

ADD format which most of the first cd releases were are only digital compressed versions from a master anolog source. The original anolog sound on vinyl captures the actual sound and doesn't change it to fit on another format.

I have to disagree with you - CD sounds better than Vinyl. That's OK - some people prefer vinyl, I'm just not one of them. The "warm" sound that vinyl has is sounds fuzzy to me. I prefer CD's. MP3's are fine for an ipod or for the average listener that can't tell the difference. And I have heard vinyl on a good system. It sounds better than FM or Cassette. I disagree on CD.

The problem is all the "loudness wars" and making everything the same volume. It comes down to the mastering of the CD, if it is done right, it will sound much better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 7:36 pm

Okay, speaking from a strictly "audio" standpoint here....

Vinyl is analog, it has no "word-length" limitations, thus it can hold all the frequency spectrum thrown at it. The same goes for any type of analog recording medium. Vinyl does require a special EQ curve based on the medium itself, but no original information is lost.

CD is digital, 16 bit word length. It can "barely" handle the information between 20hz and 20khz. Digital audio is not "seamless", it has gaps in it, but your ears fill in the holes. With today's mastering techniques, CDs can sound pretty incredible. However, in the end, the limitation of the bit rate and the low sample rate mean the CDs do not completely capture the information from the original source tape (if analog recording was used).

DVD-A/SACD & DVD Audio are all superior to CD, the word length (24 bit) allows it to contain infinitely more of the frequency spectrum than CDs can.

.mp3s are a "lossly audio format, which means that as part of their compression scheme they have to remove some of the frequency information to make the file smaller...mp3 encoders have made incredible advancements over the past several years...a high quality mp3 file is DAMN hard to distinguish from the original source on an average stereo.

.flac files are a "lossless" audio format. They are compressed, but they do not remove frequency information. Thus a .flac file, though smaller than a .wav, still contains all the information from the original CD.

In my personal opinion, sound quality goes in this order...

1. Analog Reel-to-Reel tape playing at 30ips.
2. DVD-A's, SACDs, etc.
3. Vinyl
4. CD/.flac - tie
5. .mp3
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 11, 2010 8:00 pm

Cool discussion going, my main problems with the analog formats is how the medium themselves can wear down and it affect the quality.

One other thing to remember about comparing digital formats is if it *matters* or not, from recording to recording, what of the frequency is there........in other words, an old King Crimson record will do far better with the 24 bit treatment than say the latest Pagan's Mind album....because of the vastly different ways in which the master came about to be in the first place.

I wish everything was SACD, personally, but that will never happen, everyone will not go out and get these players and also be able to have that audio transferred to every peripheral they own in convenience, unfortunately..
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 12:54 pm

James B. wrote:
snooloui wrote:

i totally agree with this. take please please me by the beatles. i have a mono vinyl and a stereo cd. the stereo cd sounds like dirt because the music just does not convert to digital

with the vinyl it sounds like they are in the room. its so much better.

and come on tbh a lot of cds do have poor packaging. i aint saying all cds have poor packaging but a lot certainly do just come with cheap cases and a rubbish liner booklet

i still stand by my analysis of cd having become a middle ground master of nothing format. i honestly have loads of cds and i barely listen to them cos cds are boring
Back to top Go down
bigjtink
Metal novice
Metal novice
bigjtink

Number of posts : 73

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 12, 2010 3:28 pm

S wrote:

Because country artists have figured out how to connect with the fans. Smart business and good customer service.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The CD is dying   The CD is dying - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The CD is dying
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next